Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
I do intend on buying an iMac in the next couple of months but I need a desk and I'm cognisant of the fact that if I go for the 27" iMac I will need a certain amount of desk space so I'm not sitting too close to the screen.

The most important dimension in this is probably the depth (width) of the desk. So I'll ask current 27" iMac owners what is the size of the desk you use and find most comfortable and anyone else what would you advise?

I've been looking most closely at these two tables from Ikea.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S39903710/

Length: 120 cm (47inch)
Width: 60 cm (23.5inch)
Height: 74 cm (29inch)

and

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S99903726/

Length: 150 cm (59inch)
Width: 75 cm (29.5inch)

I think 60cm probably isn't deep enough for a 27" screen but 75cm might be too much for quite a small room what do you reckon?

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
You should go look at them in person if possible to help gauge the space you'll need. I would prefer an actual desk - those tables are just...tables. What wires you do have will be easily seen, and there is no storage.

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
I do intend on buying an iMac in the next couple of months but I need a desk and I'm cognisant of the fact that if I go for the 27" iMac I will need a certain amount of desk space so I'm not sitting too close to the screen.

The most important dimension in this is probably the depth (width) of the desk. So I'll ask current 27" iMac owners what is the size of the desk you use and find most comfortable and anyone else what would you advise?

I've been looking most closely at these two tables from Ikea.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S39903710/

Length: 120 cm (47inch)
Width: 60 cm (23.5inch)

and

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S99903726/

Length: 150 cm (59inch)
Width: 75 cm (29.5inch)

I think 60cm probably isn't deep enough for a 27" screen but 75cm might be too much for quite a small room what do you reckon?

I've actually had both tops, rocking the 150 cm one right now. The top is huge. The only reason I upgraded was because I needed space for my studio monitors. I use a MacBook Pro at the moment with a 21.5 inch monitor attached. I don't see the 27 inch iMac being a problem for either desks because of the small footprint but it's the depth that's really important. Maybe an owner of a 27 inch iMac can help you with how far away they sit.

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
You should go look at them in person if possible to help gauge the space you'll need. I would prefer an actual desk - those tables are just...tables. What wires you do have will be easily seen, and there is no storage.

I do know what you mean but most of the photos I've seen of people's setups with the iMac, it's the ones that have decent sized tables like this that appear to look the best.

I also am have great trouble in finding an actual desk that is both of a reasonable size and a reasonable price. Unless someone could recommend a good desk I think it just makes sense to go for a table like the two I've linked.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
Well, my current desk is about 28" deep (71 cm) and I have my 27" iMac pushed back as far as it will go.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
I actually took an old standard metal desk and made a new top for it. It's about 4' x 6', nicely stained and it didn't cost much to do. I bought the desk for $20 many years ago, I'm sure you could find one on freecycle or craigslist if you wanted to go that route. This way you'll have a desk with standard storage but the work area can be whatever size you want.

There's a fair bit of space I don't use in the back, but I used to have an entire filing system back there plus I had shelves above the desk. With the standard size, the shelves were right over my head and drove me nuts.

Corner units also have a lot of room but I think they overpower small rooms.

Just take a look at how it attaches. My past desks dismantled pretty easy - this one is a royal PITA.

Just a "think outside the box" thought.

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Well, my current desk is about 28" deep (71 cm) and I have my 27" iMac pushed back as far as it will go.

And is that comfortable for you or would you prefer the desk to be deeper and have more space? It sounds like a good size can I assume you got it from somewhere in America that isn't available in the UK, that would be typical. ;)

I have a Galant from Ikea and I like it.

Is that the 80cm deep one or the 60cm deep? One seems too big and the other seems possibly too small for the 27" iMac.

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
I use this:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80180035/
with a 27" TBD and my 15" MBP sitting next to it (and KB/Mouse).

I purchased it because I had little space for a new piece of furniture and it is not too small at all. It is the perfect size.

I also keep my Time Machine hard drive plugged in to the monitor and in the desk drawer.

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
I use this:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80180035/
with a 27" TBD and my 15" MBP sitting next to it (and KB/Mouse).

I purchased it because I had little space for a new piece of furniture and it is not too small at all. It is the perfect size.

I also keep my Time Machine hard drive plugged in to the monitor and in the desk drawer.

Really? Thanks for your post because I considered this desk when I thought I'd go for the 21.5" iMac but I figured it'd be too small but you're saying it's not too small even for a 27" screen. You don't feel like you're too close or there's not enough room for your mouse and keyboard, also don't keep hitting your knees and legs against the side of the desk. Those are the things that concern me about a desk of that size.

Reactions: RipeRetina

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
And is that comfortable for you or would you prefer the desk to be deeper and have more space? It sounds like a good size can I assume you got it from somewhere in America that isn't available in the UK, that would be typical. ;)

It is quite comfortable. Plenty of room for the keyboard and trackpad and deep enough that your arms have plenty of support. I use an old desk that I have no idea where it came from.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
There was another thread about how far folks sit away from their screens. I believe that the average distance is arm's length. I have a 21.5" on a 25" desk and the iMac is as far back as it will go.

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
This is my desk,

http://www.ethanallen.com/product?productId=569

...about 120cmx60cm surface area, plenty of room for my 27" iMac with additional work space.

Thank you. This really stumps me though, some people say a desk 60cm is plenty of room and some say over 70cm is what's needed. I don't know which to go for. Are you sure you never feel like you're too close to your 27" screen with that desk?

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
tumblr_leb7skKNUj1qzxxjao1_1280.jpeg

Here's my current setup. I built the little shelf for my monitors so they're at the right height. Gotta love Ikea!

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
Really? Thanks for your post because I considered this desk when I thought I'd go for the 21.5" iMac but I figured it'd be too small but you're saying it's not too small even for a 27" screen. You don't feel like you're too close or there's not enough room for your mouse and keyboard, also don't keep hitting your knees and legs against the side of the desk. Those are the things that concern me about a desk of that size.

The only trouble I have is because I don't have a proper office chair for it. Other than that, none.

Now, a side note, I am 5'4" so I don't bump my legs into many things.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Thank you. This really stumps me though, some people say a desk 60cm is plenty of room and some say over 70cm is what's needed. I don't know which to go for. Are you sure you never feel like you're too close to your 27" screen with that desk?

I'd have measure it when I get home but its definitely in the range of 60-76 CM.

The arms on the desk chair prevent me from sitting up on the desk because they don't go underneath. So I'm at least 3 feet from the screen, the computer is at the back edge of the desk. But then again I should point out I'm 6'4", so I can sit back farther than most and still reach the keyboard comfortably :)

I keep an uncluttered desktop, just my computer and inbox, so with the wireless KB and mouse I have plenty of room if needed for work materials on either side or in front of me.

Tumej

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Finland
My must have desk specs:

1 alot space for my random crap

2 enough space for my legs when im watching a movie, so i put my legs on to my desk

3 maybe some more space for for notebooks and other school stuff

4 it must be black, i don't like other than black desk, but white might go too...

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
I had the same issue as I wanted an iMac but my current desk wouldn't work. I found this (and previous threads) useful.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1303119/

Thanks. Yeah I've been going through those threads but it's often hard to tell what desks are pictured and what size they are. Do you have an idea what desk you will go for?

Personally I think I'm still deciding between the two I linked in this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.