Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2011
Here's the best way to get an idea of the GS3's size without holding one for those interested in getting one. It's a Direct comparison to a phone you already know well, the iPhone 4S. It's also interesting to note the difference in height doesn't look all that much taller than difference in the 4S and the next iphone, if the leaks are accurate. That being said, I don't think nothing shows how dated the iphone looks more than these pics, when you put it directly next to the Galaxy S3.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 421
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 344
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 319

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
The difference in width is substantial (from the perspective of one-handed use) and from what I've seen I those mockups a meaningful height difference may exist as well.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
The iPhone could do with a better front panel to screen ratio. I'd have to pass on the GS3 because it's simply too unwieldy for something that you'd carry every day. And I don't like the round top and bottom. That'll probably never grow on me.

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
I am on Verizon and am tired of waiting on the next iPhone. I plan on picking one of these up or would Nexus be a better option? I have never had a smartphone so I am not biased by any means I am jumping into the market with no preferences.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
I am on Verizon and am tired of waiting on the next iPhone. I plan on picking one of these up or would Nexus be a better option? I have never had a smartphone so I am not biased by any means I am jumping into the market with no preferences.

Buying an Android phone is best done based on battery life if you ask me.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ

What's important to you?

Battery life? DROID RAZR Maxx.
Stock Android? Galaxy Nexus.
Camera? Galaxy S3.

omgitswes

Apr 23, 2012

I think the S3 is a better phone.
If you care about stock android that can easily be arranged with the amazing community that the S3 will have. I hear battery life is pretty good too on this thing.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Thanks for the comparison shots. Number one reason I sent back my Samsung Galaxy 2 phone was the wide form factor, and waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out and hope it will only have a taller form factor and not any wider one. ;)

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
PR
i have it and it's have the best android phone battery life i get about 5 hours on screen time that it's good for me

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
you're nuts, the S2 was amazing and still competes with phones being released today.

----------

The iPhone could do with a better front panel to screen ratio. I'd have to pass on the GS3 because it's simply too unwieldy for something that you'd carry every day. And I don't like the round top and bottom. That'll probably never grow on me.

it's weird you say that because a few weeks back I would have strongly agreed with you, but it does grow on you. it looks pebble like and I think it's very attractive

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
A good friend and co worker of mine uses the same phone,so I have used it held it played around with it and to be as honest as possible it's too big imo,and I would never get rid of the iPhone on a permanent bases for that

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Awwww, look at the little iphone, how cute. Perfect for teenage girls hands. The S3 is bigger but manages to be thinner and lighter than the brick iphone that desperately needs a redesign

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
that old fashioned looking iphone is kind of funny, like steam punk for phones. You may as well carry an old Motorola brick phone:apple:

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
Stop it already!!!! Both phones represent the best Samsung and Apple have to offer. S3 is great the 4S is great the 6 gen will be great...competition is good for us, we benefit from it. I appreciate both iOS and Android. Both can accomplish many tasks we never dreamed of doing on a mobile phone. Both Macrumors and Xda are now full of teenager like argumentative threads like this....TO EACH HIS OWN!! Mods need to shut these threads down!!

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Except for the back, I personally think the front and the sides of the SIII look better than the iPhone.

EDIT: I think the back of the SIII is hideous, by the way.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Stop it already!!!! Both phones represent the best Samsung and Apple have to offer. S3 is great the 4S is great the 6 gen will be great...competition is good for us, we benefit from it. I appreciate both iOS and Android. Both can accomplish many tasks we never dreamed of doing on a mobile phone. Both Macrumors and Xda are now full of teenager like argumentative threads like this....TO EACH HIS OWN!! Mods need to shut these threads down!!
I agree. What is happening MacRumors??? :confused:

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
I have a SGS2, which I just borrowed/traded to my mom for her iPhone 4. I've had 3 iPhones in the last two years and have switched them out to try many other devices and I just keep coming back to the iPhone.

Mind you I've never held a GS3, just seen pictures, but it looks gigantic. But at least it's thin and light. The one thing I really dislike about the iPhone 4/4s is the fact that it's literally a brick. It's heavy and awkward to me. If I could get a form factor with a curved back not made of glass on my iPhone I would be a happy camper because the iPhone definitely works way better than my gs2.

bigsexyy81

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
The actually screen size difference is ridiculous. Having had the 3.5" iPhone for so long, I can't even imagine how you would fill up the whole screen. I bet web pages and movies look fantastic.

Ryno76

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2011
Fun Visual Comparison....

the evoloution of the cell phone.....

From cinder block...
cinderblock.jpg

To brick....
brick.jpg

To Small....
nokia3210.jpg

and only to start getting bigger again....guess bigger is better?

All the phones out there right now are great....and there is always going to be something better and I guess bigger.....

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I keep looking at the S3 and am so tempted to get the unlocked version on Amazon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.