Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
When buying my MacBook using HE discount, the guy in store gave me 16% off, and mentioned I have 3 years of warranty standard. Thank you apple...:apple:

If you purchased in store double check your warranty status. Use Apple's online check here. Although it can take a good few weeks to update.

Normally, the 3 year warranty is not available as standard in store. The guy may have done you a favour (sometimes Apple staff do give extras, in which case lucky you) but I would check.

Anna.G

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
I'm starting university in sept and thought I would have to wait until then to get a HE student discount. I received an email from UCAS advertising that you can get an apple student discount if you sign up to their social network site and click on a link to the apple education store from their site, which I did. I ordered a mba from the apple education store last thursday thinking I was getting the HE discount (and would receive the 3 year warranty). However from reading this thread and checking online, I only got the standard student discount. Is there anyway to change this? or would I have to cancel my order and order again via the phone?

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
I'm starting university in sept and thought I would have to wait until then to get a HE student discount. I received an email from UCAS advertising that you can get an apple student discount if you sign up to their social network site and click on a link to the apple education store from their site, which I did. I ordered a mba from the apple education store last thursday thinking I was getting the HE discount (and would receive the 3 year warranty). However from reading this thread and checking online, I only got the standard student discount. Is there anyway to change this? or would I have to cancel my order and order again via the phone?

I'm not 100% on this. What percentage off did you get? I'd be surprised if you got the 3 year warranty, unless AppleCare appeared as a ~£50 option called an "uplift".

Try phoning them and asking, but remember many Apple staff know very little about the education discounts. You can sometimes get the deal if you have an unconditional offer.

KalashnikovAli

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2010
Hi this has been bugging me quite a bit and I hope someone could clarify for me.

I purchased a Macbook Air last week from the online HE store (without applecare). I recently found a small irritating mark on my screen, underneath the screen over. I'll be taking the Mac to the apple store in a couple of days to hopefully get a replacement. My question is this: If I do get a replacement MBA instore, will the replacement still have the extended 3 year warranty?

Last edited:

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
Hi this has been bugging me quite a bit and I hope someone could clarify for me.

I purchased a Macbook Air last week from the online HE store (without applecare). I recently found a small irritating mark on my screen, underneath the screen over. I'll be taking the Mac to the apple store in a couple of days to hopefully get a replacement. My question is this: If I do get a replacement MBA instore, will the replacement still have the extended 3 year warranty?

A warranty is a commitment to make sure you have something that works for 3 years. The new machine should have a warranty that lasts at least until the old one would have.

If it is replaced I'd just make sure you check the genius is aware and check Apple's warranty website a little later. If your new Mac doesn't inherit the warranty automatically just phone and get them to check.

KalashnikovAli

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2010
A warranty is a commitment to make sure you have something that works for 3 years. The new machine should have a warranty that lasts at least until the old one would have.

If it is replaced I'd just make sure you check the genius is aware and check Apple's warranty website a little later. If your new Mac doesn't inherit the warranty automatically just phone and get them to check.

That's where my concern is. If it doesn't get updated after 90 days and I call them up, will they know about the HE agreement warranty and will they be able to check that I originally bought it off the online HE store?

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
That's where my concern is. If it doesn't get updated after 90 days and I call them up, will they know about the HE agreement warranty and will they be able to check that I originally bought it off the online HE store?

Sorry, glossed over where you said it's only a week old. I assume it doesn't show the 3 year warranty online yet then? I'd make sure you print off a copy of your email/in box receipt and take it with you, which should show the HE discounted price.

I see you concern though, so I'd be quite clear with the genius and hopefully get him to note something down in writing for you. Then you can have a copy of your old serial number and a document showing it changing to your new one.

KalashnikovAli

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2010
Sorry, glossed over where you said it's only a week old. I assume it doesn't show the 3 year warranty online yet then? I'd make sure you print off a copy of your email/in box receipt and take it with you, which should show the HE discounted price.

I see you concern though, so I'd be quite clear with the genius and hopefully get him to note something down in writing for you. Then you can have a copy of your old serial number and a document showing it changing to your new one.

Yeah it doesn't show the 3 year warranty yet. Thanks for the help, I'll do as you suggested. Hopefully I'll have an understanding genius.

Thanks again.

jj48

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
UK
Accessory Discount

Could I also point out that the in-store discount (possibly online as well) extends to a bunch of accessories. I was given ~11% off a new wireless keyboard in my local store on Monday.

EDIT: Apologies if everyone already knew this! Also just checked through university network and the accessory discounts appear to be identical online. Interestingly I seem to be eligible for a small (<3%) discount on the iPad. Is this normal?

Last edited:

SlugBlanket

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011

Yes it will.

I purchased a MBP in July of this year. I ordered via phone for my son, to get the University discount. They matched the price that he would see if he had logged in at campus, £1800 for the standard 17" model instead of £2100. It had a faulty DVD drive and the whole machine was replaced so obviously a new serial number. I felt it prudent to inform them (Applecare) of the serial number change but they already had it covered.

Promptly after 90 days I got notification of the 3year warranty but it had the original serial number on the paper work. I called them up and they said yes, it was an error but that if I did a check on my current machine it was still showing the correct 3yr warranty which it was. A week later I got revised paperwork as I insisted it was re-issued.

Yes, there was a slight mix-up but the fact remains that they had the replacement machine in the system for the full 3years. All in all it was painless dealing with Apple. If there is a mix-up in your case, rest assured that it WILL be resolved in your favour.

btw it was ONLY by reading this thread days before I purchased that I found out about the free 3year Applecare for Education purchases. I would have paid hundreds more for the cover had I not found out. Thanks again to the thread starter.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
Interestingly I seem to be eligible for a small (<3%) discount on the iPad. Is this normal?

The iPad discount seems to have appeared recently. It's only 3% and there is no extended warranty, but it's better than nothing!

KalashnikovAli

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2010
Yes it will.

I purchased a MBP in July of this year. I ordered via phone for my son, to get the University discount. They matched the price that he would see if he had logged in at campus, £1800 for the standard 17" model instead of £2100. It had a faulty DVD drive and the whole machine was replaced so obviously a new serial number. I felt it prudent to inform them (Applecare) of the serial number change but they already had it covered.

Promptly after 90 days I got notification of the 3year warranty but it had the original serial number on the paper work. I called them up and they said yes, it was an error but that if I did a check on my current machine it was still showing the correct 3yr warranty which it was. A week later I got revised paperwork as I insisted it was re-issued.

Yes, there was a slight mix-up but the fact remains that they had the replacement machine in the system for the full 3years. All in all it was painless dealing with Apple. If there is a mix-up in your case, rest assured that it WILL be resolved in your favour.

btw it was ONLY by reading this thread days before I purchased that I found out about the free 3year Applecare for Education purchases. I would have paid hundreds more for the cover had I not found out. Thanks again to the thread starter.

In that case I shouldn't worry about it too much! Thanks a lot!

angelsguardian

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
North East Scotland
Great thread, thanks.

I think I may have made a mistake though. Last Friday I bought a 13" MBP with Applecare at around £40+VAT. I bought this in the Aberdeen Apple Store but the deal was the same as I was offered on the phone (impatient) as I can't buy online as I'm an Open University student so no campus access. As the new machines were announced I took it back to the shop on Wednesday and swapped for the new model. However the Applecare discount had changed from around 75% to 25% so I got that refunded for now, hoping the greater discount may return by the end of the first year.
From what I read here I think I may have missed out on the year 2 & 3 warranty by buying in the shop? If so is there anything I can do to rectify the situation?

Thanks again.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
Great thread, thanks.

I think I may have made a mistake though. Last Friday I bought a 13" MBP with Applecare at around £40+VAT. I bought this in the Aberdeen Apple Store but the deal was the same as I was offered on the phone (impatient) as I can't buy online as I'm an Open University student so no campus access. As the new machines were announced I took it back to the shop on Wednesday and swapped for the new model. However the Applecare discount had changed from around 75% to 25% so I got that refunded for now, hoping the greater discount may return by the end of the first year.
From what I read here I think I may have missed out on the year 2 & 3 warranty by buying in the shop? If so is there anything I can do to rectify the situation?

Thanks again.

I'm afraid you have most likely missed the free warranty. The £50 uplift is the price you pay if you purchase AppleCare when you buy the machine, if you buy it later it is more. Don't have much to suggest, except for returning it and buying over the phone but that's a lot of hassle.

angelsguardian

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
North East Scotland
I'm afraid you have most likely missed the free warranty. The £50 uplift is the price you pay if you purchase AppleCare when you buy the machine, if you buy it later it is more. Don't have much to suggest, except for returning it and buying over the phone but that's a lot of hassle.

Drat. I guess the person I spoke to by phone and email (who said buying from store was exactly the same) didn't quite know what she was talking about? In the shop when I returned the first machine I was told the Applecare discount had changed which is why I didn't buy it again as it made it too expensive for me at the moment. Interestingly the machine price was exactly the same.

Thanks anyway.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
Drat. I guess the person I spoke to by phone and email (who said buying from store was exactly the same) didn't quite know what she was talking about? In the shop when I returned the first machine I was told the Applecare discount had changed which is why I didn't buy it again as it made it too expensive for me at the moment. Interestingly the machine price was exactly the same.

Thanks anyway.

There is some confusion, even amongst Apple employees. The website T&Cs state online/phone only, but maybe if you mentioned it in store and are very lucky someone may have registered it. If you have an email I'd ask someone at Apple later on where your 3 year warranty is!

angelsguardian

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
North East Scotland
There is some confusion, even amongst Apple employees. The website T&Cs state online/phone only, but maybe if you mentioned it in store and are very lucky someone may have registered it. If you have an email I'd ask someone at Apple later on where your 3 year warranty is!

Thanks I'll check at circa 90 days then argue ;)

lemondrops

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
Devon, England
Does the 3 year warranty also apply for Mac Accessories?

I would like to buy the wireless keyboard, mouse and trackpad using my HE student discount online to go with my Macbook Pro & new monitor.

Just wondering does the 3 year warranty mentioned in this thread apply to accessories or only to the purchase of a computer?

Thanks

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
I would like to buy the wireless keyboard, mouse and trackpad using my HE student discount online to go with my Macbook Pro & new monitor.

Just wondering does the 3 year warranty mentioned in this thread apply to accessories or only to the purchase of a computer?

Thanks

The free 3 year warranty only applies to laptops and desktops, the keyboard and monitor will not be covered.

However, if you buy the MBP and monitor on the same order and pay for the uplift to AppleCare on the MBP (~£50) then your monitor will be covered for 3 years. This works for some accessories (monitors, time capsules etc) but not to keyboards.

derosasteve

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2010
The free 3 year warranty only applies to laptops and desktops, the keyboard and monitor will not be covered.

However, if you buy the MBP and monitor on the same order and pay for the uplift to AppleCare on the MBP (~£50) then your monitor will be covered for 3 years. This works for some accessories (monitors, time capsules etc) but not to keyboards.

On your posts to still refer to Applecare being available for a MBP for circa £50, in the Apple store in Leicester I was told that the discount had been reduced and the cost was now circa £140 is this country wide or just the local store?

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
On your posts to still refer to Applecare being available for a MBP for circa £50, in the Apple store in Leicester I was told that the discount had been reduced and the cost was now circa £140 is this country wide or just the local store?

Could be one of a few things. First the employee could be wrong (happens!). Second he was referring to the price if you buy AppleCare later (the £50 is only at the time of purchase). Third, that Apple store could be different, as like I said the store discount is seperate to online/phone.

The uplift to full AppleCare for a 13" MBP is appearing as £48 online.

SagorHasan

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
Update inspired by Uren- The Apple online warranty check doesn't usually show the 3 year warranty right away. Don't worry it appears later (mine was ~9 weeks). After ~90 days you should get an email confirming the 3 year warranty applies.

Hi,

I bought MBP June 2012 using my Uni network from the educational store last week. After I checked my 1 year warranty I called at least 6 times to Apple Customer service and most of them was confused about 3 years warranty. Then finally one confirmed me it will appear after ~2 months. Then today I got this email :
"Dear Sir,

After checking your serial number I have to inform you that the computer was purchased on the Apple on Campus store and not on the education institution store, it is therefore a non Major account purchase and does not benefit from the included 3 years education parts and labor coverage.

If you wish to have 3 years coverage you can purchase the Applecare protection plan for this computer and register it to your serial number.
...."

What does it mean? And why everyone is sooooo confusing about this 3 years warranty?? And everyone seems just up for selling AppleCare Protection plan!! Really upset.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
Hi,

I bought MBP June 2012 using my Uni network from the educational store last week. After I checked my 1 year warranty I called at least 6 times to Apple Customer service and most of them was confused about 3 years warranty. Then finally one confirmed me it will appear after ~2 months. Then today I got this email :
"Dear Sir,

After checking your serial number I have to inform you that the computer was purchased on the Apple on Campus store and not on the education institution store, it is therefore a non Major account purchase and does not benefit from the included 3 years education parts and labor coverage.

If you wish to have 3 years coverage you can purchase the Applecare protection plan for this computer and register it to your serial number.
...."

What does it mean? And why everyone is sooooo confusing about this 3 years warranty?? And everyone seems just up for selling AppleCare Protection plan!! Really upset.

So you were online on your uni campus? Did you click on the education store for "Higher Education"? Not further education or school? It should say "[X] University" at the top of the store when you log in. The problem is many staff are confused and know little about education discounts. Maybe the guy simply did online warranty check like you did, and doesn't understand.

You could email back and explain? If you paid the HE price online it shows you ordered the right way. Did you save the T&Cs when you ordered- I always save them when I make a big purchase so there's no arguing.

If its within 7 days of delivery you can, as a last resort, send it back. Distance selling and all that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.