Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Finally had a chance to see the RMBP in person and the screen is a stunner - deep blacks, crisp and great viewing angles.

I wanted to check the brightness uniformity so I pulled up a pure white screen and noticed that there was a pink hue in one corner and a green one in the other. I've seen the same thing on my Dell IPS which impacted color accuracy (I returned it and recieved another that was fine).

Is anyone else seeing any red/green tinting in the corners?

guspasho

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2011
Finally had a chance to see the RMBP in person and the screen is a stunner - deep blacks, crisp and great viewing angles.

I wanted to check the brightness uniformity so I pulled up a pure white screen and noticed that there was a pink hue in one corner and a green one in the other. I've seen the same thing on my Dell IPS which impacted color accuracy (I returned it and recieved another that was fine).

Is anyone else seeing any red/green tinting in the corners?

How does one check for this? Is it obvious or subtle? How did you pull up a pure white screen?

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I'm noticing a red tint on mine :( really bummed because I JUST bought it not even 2 hours ago. Even the Apple logo on the other side is tinted... Really don't want to have to send it in already. And I doubt any of the Apple stores could do anything about it considering they don't even have stock of the laptops.

The tint is actually more purple, but it's still there...

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
It's called "IPS glow", and not uncommon in IPS displays. Even Dells can have it. Two common ips glow colors are orange and purple. Google "ips glow" for more info.

While there is a small amount of truth to this, in our lab we have over 30 machines (ThinkPads) with absolutely NO Trace of IPS Glow.

And we've been using ThinkPad workstations with IPS displays for years and years.

The only exception, is one of our older German Engineers that has a glow on his nose from heavy drinking ... :eek:

(My R-MBP, is just fine, and believe me I inspected it very carefully)

----------

And it begins...
Apple postures like they are a premier maker of tech products, therefore:

If Apple doesn't want to have their computers inspected.

If they cannot live up to the quality or hype.

Then they should label them with a large sticker....

"This Product Is Subject To Quality Control Variables, And May Not Be Up To Specifications"

Purchase at your own risk. LOL :eek:

klover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
How does one check for this? Is it obvious or subtle? How did you pull up a pure white screen?

I always google "iPad dead pixel test" and the first website has these little colored boxes (red, white, etc.) that you can save and then view in full-screen.

The pink was very obvious (top right corner) but the green less so.

When I dragged the system settings box to the upper-corner the grey would turn kind of purple.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
It's called "IPS glow", and not uncommon in IPS displays. Even Dells can have it. Two common ips glow colors are orange and purple. Google "ips glow" for more info.

IPS glow typically refers to off-angle brightness increases on black screens. My dell has IPS glow - when I move off-axis the blacks start turning to grey.

This was an actual red/green tint on a bright white screen that I was looking at dead-on.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I'm trying to take a picture for you guys but it's just showing up as white in the iPhone viewfinder. The tint is definitely there though.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
I'm noticing a red tint on mine :( really bummed because I JUST bought it not even 2 hours ago. Even the Apple logo on the other side is tinted... Really don't want to have to send it in already. And I doubt any of the Apple stores could do anything about it considering they don't even have stock of the laptops.

The tint is actually more purple, but it's still there...

If it's a tint that covers the entire screen you might be able to correct it via calibration.

----------

I'm trying to take a picture for you guys but it's just showing up as white in the iPhone viewfinder. The tint is definitely there though.

So it's not just in the corner(s)?

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
If it's a tint that covers the entire screen you might be able to correct it via calibration.

----------

So it's not just in the corner(s)?

No it isn't just the corners, it's the whole thing. It's VERY noticeable in the Apple logo on the lid.

I'm sure that I could fix it with calibration, but I would rather have one that just works like it should. After all, I didnt pay $2200 for a machine that doesn't work properly. I'm going to call an Apple store in a bit and see if they can do anything.

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Got my brand new MBPR today.

No green tint at all, but a very noticeable red-hue on an all-white background. Really disappointing. :(

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
what begins?

The complaining about the screen. Every time there's a new release, there's immediately tons of people complaining about the various tints they see. It doesn't matter whether there truly is a problem or not, they just start coming out of the woodwork. I was wondering when the first one would pop up. Didn't take long...

----------

No it isn't just the corners, it's the whole thing. It's VERY noticeable in the Apple logo on the lid.

I'm sure that I could fix it with calibration, but I would rather have one that just works like it should. After all, I didnt pay $2200 for a machine that doesn't work properly. I'm going to call an Apple store in a bit and see if they can do anything.

People calibrate television sets so they see the colors they expect. Why is it too much to expect you to do the same with your computer? That's what calibration is for. It doesn't mean your computer is faulty.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009

Oh, the one I've seen was snow white in the middle but turned red towards corner.

At that price, you just have to swap it out as far as I'm concerned.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Apple postures like they are a premier maker of tech products, therefore:

I've always found this to be silly. They make a lot of nice stuff, but it is trendy. I don't entirely trust them on displays. I've mentioned this in other threads, but with large desktop displays, some method of panel blocking is typically implemented to even out uniformity if it is a true uniformity issue. I don't know how they engineer things for viewing angles, but I don't typically experience such issues unless they're caused by diffused reflections. This display has a softer anti-glare coating. It lacks the sparkle issue. If I view it in complete darkness, it's quite uniform aside from the last 1/8" or so along parts of the border. Under typical lighting conditions, it reflects bits of color which can make the display appear a little uneven at times. With Apple they kind of make what they make. They aren't really trying to make broadcast or prepress quality displays or anything of that sort, which would involve consistency + additional features. Given my past experience with them, I anticipate some amount of sample variation. This doesn't mean I like it. I just expect it if I decide to buy anyway.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
People calibrate television sets so they see the colors they expect. Why is it too much to expect you to do the same with your computer? That's what calibration is for. It doesn't mean your computer is faulty.

Because you can't calibrate a non-uniformly colored display. Duh.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009

No, it doesn't mean it's defective but some panels can't be properly color-corrected. I used to own a Envy with the Radiance display and it, too, had a pink hue throughout. Trying adjust RGB values did very little.

This might just be the way this panel is I suppose.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011

This is a totally different situation... People don't just calibrate their computer screens. If I buy a laptop I shouldn't have to mess around with it to get proper colors. Normal people don't do that, they would bring the laptop in for repair/replacement if it wasn't showing coloring right. Just as I will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.