Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flitzy

Oct 20, 2010
Android has always done this. Fail

This line of thinking is stupid.

I don't use Android. I couldn't care less what they do or don't do.

If it's added to iOS, then fine. I'm not sitting there going "hm, I'm going to base my like or dislike on this feature based on whether or not a phone I don't even use has".

Get over yourselves, Googlebots and Fandroids.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Doesn't make any difference because Facebook plays too fast and loose with private data. Apple may secure it, and FB will just give it away... and then say, "Whoops!"

And this is why I will not be activating FB integration on my phone ;).

(Though it would piss me off if my phone noticed me logging into the web on FB and activated for me.. though I think if Apple were smart they would not do that cause that would raise a huge stink I would think).

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
a lll these security popups in ios6 and mountain lion remind me of

which apple criticised so heavily in vista.

You're not very creative. I bore of seeing posts like these. The problem with UAC wasn't its existence, it was its implementation. Cancel or allow every single time you launched certain programs with no way for an average user to whitelist a program without completely disabling the security of UAC.

Apple's security features are implemented very differently.

cyberlocke

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2009
I'm OK with this, actually happy. I know the whole privacy issue is more of a concern based on principle than practicality for me, but well . . .

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
You're not very creative. I bore of seeing posts like these. The problem with UAC wasn't its existence, it was its implementation. Cancel or allow every single time you launched certain programs with no way for an average user to whitelist a program without completely disabling the security of UAC.

Apple's security features are implemented very differently.

ok, perhaps a little exaggeration on my part :roll eyes:.

messiah

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2005
info request

I don't like this because certain developers gimp the App if they aren't allowed to access your data.... i.e. yahoo messenger for example. my wife likes to use it but once I deny access to my information the app no longer works...

cyberlocke

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2009
And this is why I will not be activating FB integration on my phone ;).

(Though it would piss me off if my phone noticed me logging into the web on FB and activated for me.. though I think if Apple were smart they would not do that cause that would raise a huge stink I would think).

Me either, but that's because I deactivated Facebook altogether. Do regret that from time to time though.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Honestly, ive never felt unsafe ever with my information being sent out. From what I and many others can tell is that the information isnt used maliciously. So I will never understand how people have panic attacks that some random app saw on their calendar they need to pick up milk or something like that :D

The problem is, we're talking about access to contact information (names, emails, addresses, phones, birthdays, etc) to ALL of your contacts, not just you. Without you or your friends', family's, clients'; etc. permission, they currently can take whatever info they want without asking or you even knowing.

Some consumers just trust companies to do the right thing, but I don't know who these people are or who works for them, so I don't want them to have my or my contacts' info. If you don't care for you personally, I understand completely. But for people who think that's unreasonable for apps to at least let you say yes or no to this, I'm glad I'm not in their address book! :)

mjtomlin

Jan 19, 2002
apple secretly tracked you and sold your info ... both points moot

#1. It wasn't a secret, it was in the EULA.
#2. They didn't actually track you, they used your current location to locally cache position information to speed up location services.
#3. They didn't sell your information to anyone, nor have they ever been accused of doing so.

As a result of all the brouhaha, Apple lessened the amount of the information cached and I believed encrypted it.

But you go ahead and justify continuing using Google anyway you can. If it makes you feel better, good for Google.

Metalmorphed

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2010
I would be very interested what they are using it for, not just that they want to. Nice addition though :D

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
I applaud this, but... it seems like a bigger problem than individual responsibility... I have no control over the hundred other people that have my contact info in their address books.

I can deny all the apps on *my* iOS device access to *my* address book, but it only takes a few less savvy (or thoughtful) acquaintances to let some app upload *their* address book that contains *my* contact info.

This is an area where we really need stronger consumer rights laws that would prevent companies from data mining personal information of non-customers contained in the data of their actual customers.

Of course that won't happen because the U.S. government is much more interested in protecting corporation "rights" than those of actual people.

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
This line of thinking is stupid.

I don't use Android. I couldn't care less what they do or don't do.

If it's added to iOS, then fine. I'm not sitting there going "hm, I'm going to base my like or dislike on this feature based on whether or not a phone I don't even use has".

Get over yourselves, Googlebots and Fandroids.

So it's ok to copy from Android. Time for Apple to stop copying and create something innovative for a change. Don't tell me this is the only way to use permission. Same for maps. Looks exactly like Google maps. About 150billion in cash, and they can't create a single innovative map interface. It's as if they copied the whole google map and just changed the name. The colors, the buildings, the roads all look same as shown by Google maps. Be different. Don't tell me it's a map, how else they can make it? Obviously they can make it different if they tried..

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
So it's ok to copy from Android. Time for Apple to stop copying and create something innovative for a change. Don't tell me this is the only way to use permission. Same for maps. Looks exactly like Google maps. About 150billion in cash, and they can't create a single innovative map interface. It's as if they copied the whole google map and just changed the name. The colors, the buildings, the roads all look same as shown by Google maps. Be different. Don't tell me it's a map, how else they can make it? Obviously they can make it different if they tried..

What does any of this have to do with the point? I care if an iPhone works well and does the things I need at a price I find fine.

What kind of whiny twit would not buy an iPhone (or dislike a feature!) only because it has similarities to another device they won't buy and don't use?

kdarling

macrumors P6
It's amazing how many apps want access to my contacts that i had no idea was reading them.

A lot of people mistakenly think that Apple's vetting of apps for bugs somehow guarantees privacy as well.

It seems quite likely that a number of iOS apps have been collecting our contact info. Probably smaller ones, mostly, but one blogger claimed the developers of popular apps do as well.

The majority of big name apps don't seem to grab all the contacts. Article here about the ones that do and don't.

The whole trouble with blanket permissions like this is that they don't tell us what the app is really doing with the data. Sure, you want to give some apps access to contacts to help you, but not to transmit elsewhere. Perhaps there needs to be some kind of system log of transmissions that can be read by info-aware testers. Of course, if the data is encypted, that doesn't help.

As always, it boils down to how much you trust the app's source.

Last edited:

hypnos58

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
I am sick and tired of every app web page and now ios 6 being embroiled with assbook enough already.

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
Does this pave the way for the Pebble watch to be fully compatible with the iPhone in terms of sending data to the watch via its app? Cause that would be awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.