Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Hey all,

I returned my 9th iPad last week after it had a very strong yellow tint. The previous 8 iPads all had various problems, some worse than others... mostly involving the hue of the screen, but also dead pixels, scratches, etc. I was offered a refund and accepted it, and decided to just wait until the iPad 3S or whatever it will be called.

My question is to anyone who has purchased the iPad 3 recently. Did you get a good screen? I'm finding I can't live without my iPad and want to try #10, but I'm already feeling guilty about the whole thing...

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Hey all,

I returned my 9th iPad last week after it had a very strong yellow tint. The previous 8 iPads all had various problems, some worse than others... mostly involving the hue of the screen, but also dead pixels, scratches, etc. I was offered a refund and accepted it, and decided to just wait until the iPad 3S or whatever it will be called.

My question is to anyone who has purchased the iPad 3 recently. Did you get a good screen? I'm finding I can't live without my iPad and want to try #10, but I'm already feeling guilty about the whole thing...

If you are that picky, I would wait until next gen when they move to a different screen technology.

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
To OP: I immediately returned my launch day yellow, gray, pink and green splotchy screen new iPad for a full refund.

I waited until the second week in May and purchased one from Best Buy. Week 16, DY serial number. It is without a doubt perfect. Whites are white, screen is bright and clear, no discoloration, yellow or otherwise, anywhere!

Not sure if all of yours were purchased from Apple but perhaps try another source if that's the case?

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Yeah it's definitely on the yellow side but i would probably stick with this one if i got it.

Last edited by a moderator:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I'm sorry but I'm not seeing a yellow tint in his screen. Maybe it's different in person. Mine had just a slight yellow tint that only really noticeable on white backgrounds at lower brightness level (less than 50% at least). I tolerated it because it was actually easier on my eyes in the dark. Chef looks pretty flawless to me.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
If you're going to take that tack, then why shouldn't we ask you to "prove" that you actually returned nine iPads, or have even owned one? Your word on this is no more or less trustworthy than anyone else's. I mean, be fair.

I bought an iPad through Amazon.com from a third party two months ago and the screen is fine as well, no yellowing at all. I even tested it against a white screen out of curiosity.

Last edited by a moderator:

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
What new technology? They just switched to Retina, that's the latest screen technology.

Retina is a marketing term Apple uses to describe a high resolution screen. Its not really a technology in itself. There are other high resolution display technologies for tablets launching soon.

Justin Luck

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
I bought an ipad 3 on launch day, but the yellow and pink blotches on the screen were too distracting for me. I had to go back to my galaxy tab 10.1. The resolution and speed are no where near as good, but the color is 100% uniform with no backlight bleeding or tinting. I've been waiting for apple to get their screen issues sorted out, but because it is still a gamble, I will take a look at the asus infinity and see how it stacks up in performance and screen quality control.

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
If you're going to take that tack, then why shouldn't we ask you to "prove" that you actually returned nine iPads, or have even owned one? Your word on this is no more or less trustworthy than anyone else's. I mean, be fair.

I bought an iPad through Amazon.com from a third party two months ago and the screen is fine as well, no yellowing at all. I even tested it against a white screen out of curiosity.

I'm not sure how I could prove that, but you can read my post history to see a glimpse into some of it. How bout you go ahead and post a picture of your "white" screen with "no yellowing at all"? I'd love to see it.

NoMoreSony

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
Bad color uniformity has something to do with Samsung Retina display technology, used by Apple. After looking at messages in Makbook Pro forum about similar display issues with new Retina Macbook - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1387009/ and after seeing first pictures of boot screen
retina_macbook_pro_booting-500x510.jpg
- we have almost no chances to get perfect screen on new iPads.

Yes, there's a lot of people who suffered by some kind of color blindness and can't see this kind of color tint on iPads screen, even if it clearly visible for us. But, if you unsatisfied with color uniformity of Retina iPad - it's simply mean that your eyes is "not compatible" with current Retina technology and you have to wait to see if next generation Retina display will be better in this regard.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
What new technology? They just switched to Retina, that's the latest screen technology.

Apple was rumored to use IGZO display for iPad 3, but didn't happen due to manufacturing issues. They will prob switch to that display for the next one.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Apple was rumored to use IGZO display for iPad 3, but didn't happen due to manufacturing issues. They will prob switch to that display for the next one.

I think it was because they couldn't make enough of them (IGZO panels) in time for iPad 3

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009

How is that compared to retina on the current new iPad ?

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Bad color uniformity has something to do with Samsung Retina display technology, used by Apple. After looking at messages in Makbook Pro forum about similar display issues with new Retina Macbook - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1387009/ and after seeing first pictures of boot screen Image - we have almost no chances to get perfect screen on new iPads.

Yes, there's a lot of people who suffered by some kind of color blindness and can't see this kind of color tint on iPads screen, even if it clearly visible for us. But, if you unsatisfied with color uniformity of Retina iPad - it's simply mean that your eyes is "not compatible" with current Retina technology and you have to wait to see if next generation Retina display will be better in this regard.

This is inexcusable.

Bad enough on a $800 machine, but on a $3000 machine????

Class action lawsuits will abound if apple doesnt fix this crap QC pronto.

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Bad color uniformity has something to do with Samsung Retina display technology, used by Apple. After looking at messages in Makbook Pro forum about similar display issues with new Retina Macbook - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1387009/ and after seeing first pictures of boot screen Image - we have almost no chances to get perfect screen on new iPads.

This looks pretty disgusting for a nearly $3000 laptop. :(

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Got my iPad on launch day and no issues.

Same with my iPad and iPad 2.

After 9 iPads I think the problem may be you.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
This is inexcusable.

Bad enough on a $800 machine, but on a $3000 machine????

Class action lawsuits will abound if apple doesnt fix this crap QC pronto.

I don't see class action lawsuit's happening, why? Because you can return and ask for a replacement or get a refund. Also there are many MBP users who won't see that as an issue. A select few will but again you can return the product.

Both my iPad's are not perfect but none of the slight issues don't bother me and I wouldn't return them.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
happy with my pink/blue/white screen

Love the screen. But it has . . .
a blue cast when reading under fluorescent lights
a pink cast when reading outside
almost no cast when reading with incandscent
now off to see how it looks under halogen!

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I've had a couple issues with the 3rd Gen iPad, first was yellow, second had dark gray splotches along the top left corner, 3rd had a strobe light effect along the entire left half of the display, all were immediately confirmed defects and swapped out by the Geniuses no questions asked. Annoying to have to go through this to get what I paid for....a great screen. Knock wood, this one is perfect....100% perfect.

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
England
Love the screen. But it has . . .
a blue cast when reading under fluorescent lights
a pink cast when reading outside
almost no cast when reading with incandscent
now off to see how it looks under halogen!

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

My iPad 3 screen is white in most situations. Today in the car it had a dirty blue hue (it was rainy outside). In the lounge sometimes it can appear pinkish.

It's something to do with reflected ambient light.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I don't see class action lawsuit's happening, why? Because you can return and ask for a replacement or get a refund. Also there are many MBP users who won't see that as an issue. A select few will but again you can return the product.

Both my iPad's are not perfect but none of the slight issues don't bother me and I wouldn't return them.

What too many people are forgetting is that, well in the UK anyway, the vast majority of people are nowhere near an Apple store, so they buy their Apple product from high street retailers who carry Apple stock.

They don't have the same 14-day no quibble policy that an Apple store does.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
What too many people are forgetting is that, well in the UK anyway, the vast majority of people are nowhere near an Apple store, so they buy their Apple product from high street retailers who carry Apple stock.

They don't have the same 14-day no quibble policy that an Apple store does.

I wasn't aware of that but i've read that consumer laws in Europe highly favor the consumer. While the US gets a 1 year warranty, i've read that in the UK some devices get a 2 year warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.