Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I do not consider iTunes a service (like email). It is a store app. To be honest, it's crap. Why is it not available on the web? When it was only music it was pretty amazing, but it really needs an overhaul. It is impossible to "browse". You really need the name of what you are looking for to find it. No video previews of apps...just screen grabs, why? It's useless on iOS unless you know the name of what you want. It's a horrible experience. Try browsing through a list of 200 apps. Select one and read about it, now try going back to where you were....oh, looks like you have to start over. Awful, just awful.

iCloud? You are kidding right? So how exactly does that whole photostream thing work? Nobody seems to be able to explain it. And if all you own is an iOS device (no computer) where do all your pictures go if there is no where to store them in the cloud after 1,000 photos? Dropbox is what Apple always wanted iDisk to be. They turned Jobs down when he wanted to purchase them. Google knows services. GMail rarely goes down and when it does, everyone knows it and is restored in a matter of hours. That can't be said for Apple's Mail service - whatever it's called now (iTools, DotMac, DotMe, iCloud). It can go down and you never hear a peep out of Apple.

They need to stick to what they know. Great hardware and great OS.

All valid criticisms and some apple fanboy STILL managed to downrank your comment.

Really amazing how devoted people are to a BRAND.

Thana6tos

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
NY, PA, & Cape Cod
:eek: OMG! It's about time, it's rather boring and annoying :D

----------

I do not consider iTunes a service (like email). It is a store app. To be honest, it's crap. Why is it not available on the web? When it was only music it was pretty amazing, but it really needs an overhaul. It is impossible to "browse". You really need the name of what you are looking for to find it. No video previews of apps...just screen grabs, why? It's useless on iOS unless you know the name of what you want. It's a horrible experience. Try browsing through a list of 200 apps. Select one and read about it, now try going back to where you were....oh, looks like you have to start over. Awful, just awful.

iCloud? You are kidding right? So how exactly does that whole photostream thing work? Nobody seems to be able to explain it. And if all you own is an iOS device (no computer) where do all your pictures go if there is no where to store them in the cloud after 1,000 photos? Dropbox is what Apple always wanted iDisk to be. They turned Jobs down when he wanted to purchase them. Google knows services. GMail rarely goes down and when it does, everyone knows it and is restored in a matter of hours. That can't be said for Apple's Mail service - whatever it's called now (iTools, DotMac, DotMe, iCloud). It can go down and you never hear a peep out of Apple.

They need to stick to what they know. Great hardware and great OS.

Love your comment....... U got it, period!

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I know a few people in the music business who said that getting Ping setup for their artists and such was a real pain in the butt, too. I'm not surprised that this didn't work out. It was a neat idea on the surface, but it just never felt right at the same time.

huffcw

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2012
just a guess - they'll take out video soon to match the music/video split on the iOS devices.

Never used ping, glad to see it go.

They should just mirror the apps on iOS:

- Video (simple and effective app for playing back your video files)
- Music (simple and effective app for playing back your music files)
- iTunes (store front for exploring and purchasing new stuff, viewing your purchase history, etc - although as someone else already mentioned, it would make more sense to be called iMedia since it is more than just music - but they're hanging on to the name because it has such strong brand recognition) -and they need to do a major overhaul on the overall user experience of the store

Also, I hate the way you have to have iTunes open to stream to Apple TV and other iOS devices. I wish there was just some background service that allowed access to the Home Sharing feature without iTunes.

Here's some evidence that they are looking to make changes: http://www.itunespulse.com

Last edited:

chuckiej

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2003
They should have bought last.fm but when do they ever listen to me?! LOL

I do like hitting that little thumbs up button on my iPhone and it tweets that I like that song. If what they do next is that simple, so be it.

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
Spotify has a Last.fm plugin, so I could see Apple integrating it into iTunes. As for Ping, I never had high hopes for it, and I'm glad Apple can admit when something hasn't worked.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Ping is in the same category of usefulness (or uselessness) as Siri & Face Time for my purposes. Requiring a change in workflow I'm not going to make.

All three are duds, yet I have nothing against them. Your mileage may vary.

I'm probably in the minority, and that's just fine by me :)

----------

I'm glad Apple can admit when something hasn't worked.

Apples admission is so rare I did a double take.

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
I would have been into it if it included movies, so you could follow certain actors, producers, directors, key grips, etc., and find info on upcoming projects, etc.

OH I know. I would love an easier way to follow Lester B Tinklebottom who in my mind is the best Key Grip out there. His work in BASEketball was just groundbreaking! I was so sad that the Academy passed him over that year. He did bounce back though in the Star Wars series.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I think Last.fm integration would be a lot better than Ping, but Last.fm's pretty much dead too.

Yeah, that way I wouldn't need to have an app just to scrobble my iTunes plays. Also I think Last.fm is ticking along nicely. I don't think it's a dead community by any means.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Yeah, that way I wouldn't need to have an app just to scrobble my iTunes plays. Also I think Last.fm is ticking along nicely. I don't think it's a dead community by any means.

No, it's not dead, but there's no more ads about it, it's lost all of the mindshare it had, all non regulars have forgotten about it.

Zarkizon

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2011
I just saw this in iTunes this afternoon:

screenshot20120919at954.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.