Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
^:confused:^ Uhm...you are a little slow...we are now Jailbroke "UNTETHERED" on iOS 5.1.1. You may want to edit/update your post to current information:eek:

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Updated for new devices and iOS versions.

NOTE: No jailbreak yet for iPad 2, iPhone 4S, iPad 3 or iPhone 5

JCfromTB

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Tampa Bay, FL
I jailbroke my iPad I (5.1.1) last night out of curiosity. I figured I can't go to iOS 6 anyways, so why not!?

What are some common modifications that people do once their device is jailbroke? I know you can manipulate the look of your devices, cheat on games (not my thing, but I don't judge!), and add-on programs and apps not typically available.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
I jailbroke my iPad I (5.1.1) last night out of curiosity. I figured I can't go to iOS 6 anyways, so why not!?

What are some common modifications that people do once their device is jailbroke? I know you can manipulate the look of your devices, cheat on games (not my thing, but I don't judge!), and add-on programs and apps not typically available.

I would google "iPad jailbreak tweaks."

Most tweaks are made for the iPhone, but some are made specifically for the iPad.

Check this blog and keep up to date on the most recent weaks:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/tag/tweak/

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community

Whatever apps or functions you use most on your iPad, I would look for hacks or tweaks for those apps: there are usually improvements to make them easier to use, shortcuts, streamlines, etc.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
Thanks. This post should be a sticky!

+1...again probably. Tired of looking for this thread on my subscribed threads.

Who needs to make the decision to make this a sticky????

[Edit: SFC Archer below has a good point about adding a post so we know when the thread has been updated. The only problem is that we only get ONE notification until we visit the thread. But, I guess that is better than nothing. Thanks!!]

Last edited:

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
To the OP: You have done an outstanding job on keeping this thread up-to-date and easy to use...Thank You!!! Do not understand why the mods will not "Sticky" this but obviously they have their reasons. I and I am sure many others, have subscribed to this thread so that we know when a new jailbreak has occurred.

Now the favor: When you make a change to your first post, it does not send us a message that you have updated so would request that when you do an update, could you please post a short reply so that we get the email message???

I no longer sit on these threads watching posts that continuously repeat what has already been answered countless times or asking when jailbreaks are out or complaints. Your thread answers everything I need and am so great full for your work.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
To the OP: You have done an outstanding job on keeping this thread up-to-date and easy to use...Thank You!!! Do not understand why the mods will not "Sticky" this but obviously they have their reasons. I and I am sure many others, have subscribed to this thread so that we know when a new jailbreak has occurred.

Now the favor: When you make a change to your first post, it does not send us a message that you have updated so would request that when you do an update, could you please post a short reply so that we get the email message???

I no longer sit on these threads watching posts that continuously repeat what has already been answered countless times or asking when jailbreaks are out or complaints. Your thread answers everything I need and am so great full for your work.

http://jailbrea.kr/

@chpwn made this site that is the same thing.. as well as most of the devs who release the actually jailbreaks have info on which device can be jailbroken

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
http://jailbrea.kr/

@chpwn made this site that is the same thing.. as well as most of the devs who release the actually jailbreaks have info on which device can be jailbroken

Thank you, I am very aware of this site as well and I thank you for your reply, but it does not send me an email when updated like this thread does. I also; like others, do not use twitter and I rely on my subscriptions in MacRumors. Thanks again though:)

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Thank you, I am very aware of this site as well and I thank you for your reply, but it does not send me an email when updated like this thread does. I also; like others, do not use twitter and I rely on my subscriptions in MacRumors. Thanks again though:)

suhweet i didnt think about that.. do you just subscribe to the thread? (ive never done that)
i just get most my jailbreak updates via twitter.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
suhweet i didnt think about that.. do you just subscribe to the thread? (ive never done that)
i just get most my jailbreak updates via twitter.

Yes sir, just go to the top of the thread and select "Thread Tools" a drop down will offer the opportunity to "Subscribe" and if you have an email set up in your profile, it will forward thread replies. Cant stand twitter as stated and find this much better for info.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Yes sir, just go to the top of the thread and select "Thread Tools" a drop down will offer the opportunity to "Subscribe" and if you have an email set up in your profile, it will forward thread replies. Cant stand twitter as stated and find this much better for info.

thanks! learned something new after years of using this forum

mitch6000

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012

I used redsn0w to jailbreak my ipod 4th gen with IOS 6.0.0 and id did work but my ipod kept crashing and i ended up restoring it as a new device and now it works as good as new. So if you do want to jailbreak your device is is really good but be warned your ipod may crash multiple times.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
No more need to jailbreak as I have moved onto a Samsung Note II.
I can do most of the things I want to without the need to JB.
Loving the freedom of Android.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
I used redsn0w to jailbreak my ipod 4th gen with IOS 6.0.0 and id did work but my ipod kept crashing and i ended up restoring it as a new device and now it works as good as new. So if you do want to jailbreak your device is is really good but be warned your ipod may crash multiple times.

First, you should DFU restore it. Then, re-attempt the jailbreak using the latest version of redsn0w.

Note that as of today, for the iPod Touch 4th generation on iOS 6, it will be a TETHERED jailbreak. Furthermore, as jailbreaking iOS 6 is uncommon and many tweaks are not quite supported, any issues with "crashing" are likely tied to the tweaks you have installed.

No more need to jailbreak as I have moved onto a Samsung Note II.
I can do most of the things I want to without the need to JB.
Loving the freedom of Android.

Ummm .. okay? Wrong thread, much?

itorres

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
Questions from a noob

Very glad that I came across this forum!

I have just downloaded redsn0w, and went through the steps to jail break my iPhone 4 (running iOS 5.1). I was a bit confused by the message telling me that, even though i just installed Cydia, I would still need to go through some boot command on the software -I'm still not sure what this is referring to, as I don't see any boot commands in the Mac client -and when I try to open the Cydia app that was installed on my phone, nothing seems to happen. So I now do not know if my phone is, in fact, jail broken or not.

My reason for wanting to jailbreak the phone is that I was told that this would likely remove the Rogers carrier lock on the phone... I moved from Canada to the UK recently, and would like to be able to use my iPhone with one of the UK carriers. Can anyone verify if jail breaking does disable this lock?

Thanks!

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Very glad that I came across this forum!

I have just downloaded redsn0w, and went through the steps to jail break my iPhone 4 (running iOS 5.1). I was a bit confused by the message telling me that, even though i just installed Cydia, I would still need to go through some boot command on the software -I'm still not sure what this is referring to, as I don't see any boot commands in the Mac client -and when I try to open the Cydia app that was installed on my phone, nothing seems to happen. So I now do not know if my phone is, in fact, jail broken or not.

My reason for wanting to jailbreak the phone is that I was told that this would likely remove the Rogers carrier lock on the phone... I moved from Canada to the UK recently, and would like to be able to use my iPhone with one of the UK carriers. Can anyone verify if jail breaking does disable this lock?

Thanks!

Can you first confirm that it's 5.1.0 and not 5.0.1 or 5.1.1?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
on 5.1 it is tethered JB, which means everytime you need to restart you phone you'll have to connect it to the mac and run redsn0w.

The "boot command" is the Just Boot button in redsn0w Extras
try that and follow instructions, your phone will restrat and you can use Cydia

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
on 5.1 it is tethered JB, which means everytime you need to restart you phone you'll have to connect it to the mac and run redsn0w.

The "boot command" is the Just Boot button in redsn0w Extras
try that and follow instructions, your phone will restrat and you can use Cydia

Exactly. Thanks tri!

You can check for Blobs to see if you can downgrade or upgrade to 5.0.1 or 5.1.1 for an untethered jailbreak

If you don't you might as well upgrade to ios 6 because you can use that tethered too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.