Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thegreati

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2012
Apple consumers are so nit picky and spoiled. I guess that's what Apple deserves for being so damn expensive.

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
I think you've hit the nail on the head.

My iPad 3 screen is white in most situations. Today in the car it had a dirty blue hue (it was rainy outside). In the lounge sometimes it can appear pinkish.

It's something to do with reflected ambient light.

It's to do with the grade of glass used.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I wasn't aware of that but i've read that consumer laws in Europe highly favor the consumer. While the US gets a 1 year warranty, i've read that in the UK some devices get a 2 year warranty.

Ohhh, it's a very arguable area, and do you want to take Apple to court :)

In the UK, you are of course able to take a faulty product back to the store you bought it from for a refund/replacement, generally if it goes wrong within 28 days.

After that you'd have to accept a repair.

You get a 1 year warranty, (repair) without question, but it gets wooly after that.

Many makers, Including Apple don't really recognise this, despite it being consumer law, and they lie to customers, telling them they need to buy AppleCare or whatever extended warranty they should need for cover after the official 1 year is up.

The key point is how long would someone REASONABLY expect your particular product to last for?

If you buy say a $49 tablet from china, then probably 12 months would be considered pretty good and if it went wrong after that, well, it was cheap anyway.

If you bought a premium product for a high price and a top brand (Apple) then one would REASONABLY expect it to last longer than 12 months, and hence (after arguing, and perhaps even a threat of taking them to consumer court) a company would generally back down.

This can apply up to 6 years max, but that's pushing it!

In effect you do not need to buy AppleCare for a faulty item in the UK, Apple would never admit this, and would probably get argumentative in their stores, but it is the case here. No makers want you to know this here and neither do shops. It's all being tried to be kept a secret from consumers.

As I said, the key points are. What is the item, What Price/Brand is the item, and how long would you reasonably expect such an item to last for.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
In the UK, you are of course able to take a faulty product back to the store you bought it from for a refund/replacement, generally if it goes wrong within 28 days.

You might want to read up on how the law interprets 'faulty'. It has nothing to do with 'whatever standard the user wishes to apply'.

If you buy say a $49 tablet from china, then probably 12 months would be considered pretty good and if it went wrong after that, well, it was cheap anyway.

If you bought a premium product for a high price and a top brand (Apple) then one would REASONABLY expect it to last longer than 12 months

How does one determine the relationship between what a product costs and how long it can be 'reasonably' expected to perform? Did you obtain these numbers through legal precedent or did you just make them up?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
You might want to read up on how the law interprets 'faulty'. It has nothing to do with 'whatever standard the user wishes to apply'.

How does one determine the relationship between what a product costs and how long it can be 'reasonably' expected to perform? Did you obtain these numbers through legal precedent or did you just make them up?

When I say faulty, I mean a fault, a manufacturing fault, like the home button sticking down, the glass peeling off, the battery lasting 1 hour, the unit being dead, things that are practical and obvious faults due to manufacturing/quality of the item, any item.

You don't determine it, If is has to go the what we would call trading standards then a trained skilled person, or persons would use their judgement on each case on it's own merits.

As again, a $99 dollar own brand flat screen TV from best buy, put up against a $2000 dollar top of the range Panasonic plasma TV.

It would not take much common sense from someone trained (or anyone for that matter) to reasonably expect the $2000 TV to still be working fine after 18 months and if it developed a fault, then you would not expect it to.
The $99 model, well, perhaps 18 months is a reasonable life expectancy for something make so cheaply.

One hopes the manufacturer can understand and deal with it, without getting the legal 3rd party involved to order something to be done.

This page explains what I have been saying. It's not specifically about computers, but anything...............

http://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/eu-...es-us-6-years-to-claim-for-faulty-appliances/

Hope that helps :)

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Bad color uniformity has something to do with Samsung Retina display technology, used by Apple. After looking at messages in Makbook Pro forum about similar display issues with new Retina Macbook - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1387009/ and after seeing first pictures of boot screen Image - we have almost no chances to get perfect screen on new iPads.

Yes, there's a lot of people who suffered by some kind of color blindness and can't see this kind of color tint on iPads screen, even if it clearly visible for us. But, if you unsatisfied with color uniformity of Retina iPad - it's simply mean that your eyes is "not compatible" with current Retina technology and you have to wait to see if next generation Retina display will be better in this regard.

that is barely noticeable. Especially when you are actually using it.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
When I say faulty, I mean a fault, a manufacturing fault, like the home button sticking down, the glass peeling off, the battery lasting 1 hour, the unit being dead, things that are practical and obvious faults due to manufacturing/quality of the item, any item.

You don't determine it, If is has to go the what we would call trading standards then a trained skilled person, or persons would use their judgement on each case on it's own merits.

This page explains what I have been saying. It's not specifically about computers, but anything...............

http://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/eu-...es-us-6-years-to-claim-for-faulty-appliances/

Hope that helps :)

It doesn't help because the obvious manufacturing problems you came up with aren't the type of complaints relevant to this thread; because the link just argues for the same interpretation of the law you did, it doesn't confirm that interpretation as what is actually and currently the case; and you are still making up examples about TVs and laundry appliances and assume that the functional life of tablets is as obvious and settled. It's like magic where you say 'obviously something which cost [exactly what the iPad costs] should last [as long as is convenient for my argument]' and then you make a circular appeal to common sense ("my interpretation is reasonable because any reasonable person would say the same thing, it's just common sense").

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
It doesn't help because the obvious manufacturing problems you came up with aren't the type of complaints relevant to this thread; because the link just argues for the same interpretation of the law you did, it doesn't confirm that interpretation as what is actually and currently the case; and you are still making up examples about TVs and laundry appliances and assume that the functional life of tablets is as obvious and settled. It's like magic where you say 'obviously something which cost [exactly what the iPad costs] should last [as long as is convenient for my argument]' and then you make a circular appeal to common sense ("my interpretation is reasonable because any reasonable person would say the same thing, it's just common sense").

Well it's not what you think, it's what someone looking at the case would think, and I can guarantee you that a premium product made by a leading company such as apple, would be deemed to be expected to last more than 12 months before developing a fault that was not obviously due to wear and tear on behalf of the user.
There is no way an iPad, iMac or MackBook, failing after, lets say 14 months would be deemed acceptable.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
Well it's not what you think, it's what someone looking at the case would think

I never said what I thought was a reasonable expectation, you did. I just said that you were wrong to do so.

I can guarantee you that a premium product made by a leading company such as apple, would be deemed to be expected to last more than 12 months before developing a fault that was not obviously due to wear and tear on behalf of the user.
There is no way an iPad, iMac or MackBook, failing after, lets say 14 months would be deemed acceptable.

So what? Nobody's iPad is failing after 14 months, and your interpretation of the law isn't relevant to the common reasons people give on MR for returning iPads.

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
This is inexcusable.

Bad enough on a $800 machine, but on a $3000 machine????

Class action lawsuits will abound if apple doesnt fix this crap QC pronto.

Class action lawsuit? You don't know what that term means if you think it applies here.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
This is inexcusable.

Bad enough on a $800 machine, but on a $3000 machine????

Class action lawsuits will abound if apple doesnt fix this crap QC pronto.

the hilarious thing was that in the CNET review video, the Macbook Pro Retina screen was blatantly yellowed! the reviewer completely ignored it

----------

Class action lawsuit? You don't know what that term means if you think it applies here.

why do you say that? a yellow tinted screen, with enough affected people, is perfect grounds for a class action suit. if you are going to call that ridiculous, then you would have to call all of the other successful class action suits against Apple due to Apple's neglect

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
IMO I believe the yellow iPads are so much better than the pink ones, to get a perfectly white iPad isn't realistic.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
IMO I believe the yellow iPads are so much better than the pink ones, to get a perfectly white iPad isn't realistic.

it's a sad fact, but i think eventually Apple will work with the suppliers to get it right.

i'm just glad i went with an ipad 2 refurb 16GB wifi for $319. i was tempted to get the new iPad when i tried it out in the store. while i didn't see any yellow tinted screens, those iPads were insanely hot just for sitting there. now granted they were on 100% brightness, but i keep my iPad 2 at 85% so i'm not too far off

i think the iPad 3 or "new" iPad is a brilliant feat of engineering, i just think the way it was executed doesn't historically follow the polished nature of Apple's products

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
it's a sad fact, but i think eventually Apple will work with the suppliers to get it right.

i'm just glad i went with an ipad 2 refurb 16GB wifi for $319. i was tempted to get the new iPad when i tried it out in the store. while i didn't see any yellow tinted screens, those iPads were insanely hot just for sitting there. now granted they were on 100% brightness, but i keep my iPad 2 at 85% so i'm not too far off

i think the iPad 3 or "new" iPad is a brilliant feat of engineering, i just think the way it was executed doesn't historically follow the polished nature of Apple's products

Your loss. The heat is well within spec and there are about a million or more happy ipad3 customers out there who don't have yellow screens or overheating issues. And I don't think you really know what you are talking about when you say the iPad 3 doesn't follow the polished nature of apple's products. The iPhone 4 had antenna and heat issues. The first MacBook pro had heat issues, iMacs have screen issues, the iPod classic had click wheel issues... The list is long and if anything this is par for the course. Sorry you couldn't enjoy the retina display like the other millions of people. IMHO you made a mistake.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Your loss. The heat is well within spec and there are about a million or more happy ipad3 customers out there who don't have yellow screens or overheating issues. And I don't think you really know what you are talking about when you say the iPad 3 doesn't follow the polished nature of apple's products. The iPhone 4 had antenna and heat issues. The first MacBook pro had heat issues, iMacs have screen issues, the iPod classic had click wheel issues... The list is long and if anything this is par for the course. Sorry you couldn't enjoy the retina display like the other millions of people. IMHO you made a mistake.

oh trust me, i'm not at a loss at all. in fact i'm completely happy with my iPad 2 purchase and i saved a considerable amount of money. it's not considered "my loss" if i don't see the value of the benefits of the "new" iPad weighed against the negatives.

iPhone 4 was a flagrant design flaw and resulted in a class action suit. i don't think any of the negatives of the "new" iPad would result in that. i'm not aware of these rampant screen issues in iMacs and Macbook Pros still tend to get very hot, but much of that is caused by the heat going through the unibody vs being insulated with plastic.

don't get me wrong, the retina display is wonderful as i also have it on my 4S. however, i did not find it to be the best choice for me. enjoy the retina on your ipad

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
oh trust me, i'm not at a loss at all. in fact i'm completely happy with my iPad 2 purchase and i saved a considerable amount of money. it's not considered "my loss" if i don't see the value of the benefits of the "new" iPad weighed against the negatives.

I'm glad you are happy with the older model. It's just ridiculous that you think you somehow dodged a bullet with the supposed iPad 3 heat issues. The only bullet you dodged was a sharper clearer screen and faster processor and better battery life.

iPhone 4 was a flagrant design flaw and resulted in a class action suit. i don't think any of the negatives of the "new" iPad would result in that.

Who said it would? It still proves my point, lawsuit or not.

i'm not aware of these rampant screen issues in iMacs and Macbook Pros still tend to get very hot, but much of that is caused by the heat going through the unibody vs being insulated with plastic.

The early MacBook pros got hot due to ineffective application of thermal paste. It has nothing to do with being insulated. That's not even an argument.

The last gen iMac had screen issues such as dead pixels and discoloration as well as the cinema displays. In fact, I had a dead pixel just last month on a brand new cinema display.

Again, problems like this are nothing new, which is my counter to your claim that the new iPad3 doesn't follow the "polished nature" of apple products. Apple has had many problems with new products in the past, and this is par for the course. How they handle it is what makes them the successful company that they are.

don't get me wrong, the retina display is wonderful as i also have it on my 4S. however, i did not find it to be the best choice for me. enjoy the retina on your ipad

Based on the fact that the reasons you gave in your post are invalid if you look at the facts, there is an overwhelming chance that you did not make a well informed ie best choice. Of course there could be other factors that you just haven't mentioned yet, but I didn't take those into account since I can only speculate.

Last edited:

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
After a long wait I tried for iPad #3 today. Same story, red on one side green on the other. Looked terrible in iBooks which is what I primarily use it for. Perfectly visible under store lighting. They must have hand-picked the floor models because they all looked fine.

Didn't bother with an exchange, just returned on the spot. I'm done, I'll wait for the next revision or if we hear something about these Sharp IGZO panels being snuck in mid-cycle.

I didn't bother to look up the serial number to get the week either. I just saw that it was a DM.

Very disappointing.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
I'm glad you are happy with the older model. It's just ridiculous that you think you somehow dodged a bullet with the supposed iPad 3 heat issues. The only bullet you dodged was a sharper clearer screen and faster processor and better battery life.

faster processor? the bump in graphics was just to support the retina display, nothing else. your "new" iPad won't load anything faster than my iPad 2.

battery life? the iPad 2 has better battery life.

the only feature i gave up by going with the iPad 2 was the retina screen and dictation. both of which were not worth an extra $180 for me. the only reason why i posted in the first place was to say that i'm glad i went with my choice, especially experiencing the heat issues first hand. as mentioned i didn't experience the yellow tinted screens, but the extra heat bothered me. how is that a "supposed" heat issue when i experience it for myself (not like many people who just read the forums). within spec and within comfort are two different things. just b/c the spec of components call out for such and such degrees, does that mean that your hand is sufficiently comfortable holding it?

Who said it would? It still proves my point, lawsuit or not.

what the hell is your point anyways? you just cut up my post into discrete chunks and quote them without realizing the entire meaning of the following paragraphs. what i said does nothing to support your claimed "point" because my purchase preference is independent of whether or not a defect results in a class action suit. i hate responding to people this way, but there is no way to address everything without doing it too

The early MacBook pros got hot due to ineffective application of thermal paste. It has nothing to do with being insulated. That's not even an argument.

incorrect application of thermal paste happens a lot, not just to Macbook Pros. due to the aluminum unibody though, the consumer would feel an incorrect thermal paste application more easily than if it was plastic (hence all of the complaints of the hot bottom against people's legs). on a typical dell, incorrect application of thermal paste might not be realized by the consumer until components are actually damaged (besides the fact that the fan is on OD constantly). that is all i was saying, you misread again

Again, problems like this are nothing new, which is my counter to your claim that the new iPad3 doesn't follow the "polished nature" of apple products. Apple has had many problems with new products in the past, and this is par for the course. How they handle it is what makes them the successful company that they are.

yes, that is my opinion. i don't find the iPad 3 / "new" iPad to be as polished of a device as the iPad 2. are you going to keep flipping out in a forum until i change my mind?

Based on the fact that the reasons you gave in your post are invalid if you look at the facts, there is an overwhelming chance that you did not make a well informed ie best choice. Of course there could be other factors that you just haven't mentioned yet, but I didn't take those into account since I can only speculate.

let's kindly review my reasons again to determine the facts:

1) iPad 2 refurb was $319 vs iPad 3 at $499
2) iPad 2 runs cool and the iPad 3 was uncomfortable to hold for more than 5 minutes
3) iPad 2 charging time meets my needs better due to my line of work
4) iPad 2 screen is perfectly sufficient for my tasks, the retina screen for +$180 would be overkill

you have no basis for calling my reasoning invalid.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
faster processor? the bump in graphics was just to support the retina display, nothing else. your "new" iPad won't load anything faster than my iPad 2.

you have no basis for calling my reasoning invalid.

Yup, watching this Youtube video proves both the 2 and the 3 are on par with each other performance wise. And sometimes the iPad 2 is a wee bit quicker.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Yup, watching this Youtube video proves both the 2 and the 3 are on par with each other performance wise. And sometimes the iPad 2 is a wee bit quicker.

exactly.

every time i read someone state that their iPad 3 is faster than the iPad 2, i congratulate apple for brilliant marketing.

as they say - "you can't fix stupid"

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Oops I forgot to post the link. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYxX6qKRO5M

exactly.
every time i read someone state that their iPad 3 is faster than the iPad 2, i congratulate apple for brilliant marketing.

as they say - "you can't fix stupid"

images

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.