Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, AppAdvice noted that three categories of content had disappeared from the iTunes app in iOS 6: Podcasts, Audiobooks, and iTunes U. Apple launched a dedicated iTunes U app earlier this year, but the fate of the other content types in iOS 6 remained unclear.

ios_5_ios_6_itunes_more.jpg

AllThingsD now reports that Apple will also be launching a standalone app for podcasts in iOS 6, giving them greater visibility while simplifying the iTunes app that has become home to an increasingly large number of content categories.
So why have podcasts disappeared from the new version of iTunes that Apple started showing to developers this week?

Because Apple plans on giving the recordings their own bit of digital turf.

People familiar with Apple's plans tell me that when its new iOS 6 software becomes widely available this fall, podcasts will have their own app, where users will be able to discover, download and play them on mobile devices. Users who access iTunes via laptop and desktop machines will still find them in that version of iTunes, though.
Podcasts are one of the longest-tenured media types on Apple's portable devices, having been available through the iTunes Store since the release of iTunes 4.9 in mid-2005.

Article Link: Apple to Launch Standalone Podcast App with iOS 6

Howardchief

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
iWelcome this change. I like my podcasts. Tons of free content out there. UMPODCAST! \mm/

Last edited:

leon44

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I like this!
Podcasts never really fitted in with iTunes, because they're free and like radio shows. I hope the new app is designed with streaming and subscriptions in mind, that'd be very nice

Megagator

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
USA
Hopefully the new app will be completely independent from iTunes as far as downloading and syncing with other devices. Obviously should still sync with iTunes for backlog of podcasts...

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Hopefully this is a sign of a complete shift in mentality in terms of the iTunes model and they eventually move to blow up that behemoth too.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Apple should do the exact same thing on the Mac, get rid of iTunes and make separate apps including built in stores for Music, Podcasts, Videos and bring iBooks to the Mac.

It makes more sense on a user experience standpoint as it would be consolidating the apps like on iOS.

It also makes no sense to keep the standard iTunes App in iOS, they could just build the iTunes store into the Music App.

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
I believe AllThingsD, but Podcasts is most definitely still in the Music app and iTunes app in iOS 6. As well as Audiobooks and iTunes U.

IMG_1646.png

scottlitch

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Apple should do the exact same thing on the Mac, get rid of iTunes and make separate apps including built in stores for Music, Podcasts, Videos and bring iBooks to the Mac.

It makes more sense on a user experience standpoint as it would be consolidating the apps like on iOS.

It also makes no sense to keep the standard iTunes App in iOS, they could just build the iTunes store into the Music App.

I think that's a great idea. I don't think it will happen because PC users would have to download more applications onto their PCs.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I think this is a good thing, and will help to heighten the profile of podcasts separately on the iTunes Store. Right now, they're lost in a muddle of content.

...would it be wrong of me to link to my FREE video podcasts here? Recently launched, and I would appreciate any comments/reviews on iTunes!

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=528255713

I'm a postgrad medical student and have been working on all aspects of these for two years.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
When I search for The Cultcast (Cult Of Mac) on iOS 6, it shows in the search field but when I press the name, nothing returns on screen to download.

I initially thought it was a beta 1 bug, but in light of this news perhaps not.

bspence

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
Subscriptions please!

My number one requested feature would be to notify me when a new podcast is available. Then have the podcast just start playing when I open the podcast app via streaming. It's not a well documented feature that you can go to the iTunes store, click on the "preview" button, and have the whole podcast streamed to your phone. AT&T won't let you download the podcast when you're not connected to wi-fi. So stupid.

Notify me when a new episode appears.
Stream the episode.

That's very simple and it's what podcasts in iOS should have been doing for years.

salesguy

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
I hope it stays in the music app, no reason to move it out. If you are listening to music than want to switch over to a podcast why should you have to dump out of an app to go into another one that is providing the exact same kind of file. It's almost like not having access to your photo album while in the camera app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.