Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NDefer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Think the new micro connector will utilize USB 3.0? Seems like an obvious choice, especially given usb 3.0 ports on new macbooks. Backwards compatibility of course.

Thoughts? Seems like a must have to me.

Broph

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
Doubt it.

USB is a standard & therefore would have to be the same size / shape as normal USB ports.

I doubt Apple would throw in a USB port in there because it would allow customization to be too easy. People would be able to bypass iTunes etc.

Won't happen.

You can't plugin any USB 3.0 device into a USB 2.0 port and expect it to work. USB 3.0 devices are not always backwards compatible to USB 2.0. It's up to the manufacturer if they want to make them backwards compatible or not. You can plugin any USB 2.0 device into a USB 3.0 port and it will work just fine though.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised at all if they added USB 3.0 support. I also wouldn't be surprised at all if they didn't. This is Apple after all.

Broph

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
You can't plugin any USB 3.0 device into a USB 2.0 port and expect it to work. USB 3.0 devices are not always backwards compatible to USB 2.0. It's up to the manufacturer if they want to make them backwards compatible or not. You can plugin any USB 2.0 device into a USB 3.0 port and it will work just fine though.

I know, sorry when the person asked me 'interchangeable' I had a brain fart and just for some reason thought about USB 2.0 plugging in to USB 3.0.

You're right, though.

pyro008

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Doubt it.

USB is a standard & therefore would have to be the same size / shape as normal USB ports.

I doubt Apple would throw in a USB port in there because it would allow customization to be too easy. People would be able to bypass iTunes etc.

Won't happen.

How is this relevant to the question being asked?

LaazyEye

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
I guess this would really be dependent on the writing speed of the flash storage on the phone. If there's little or no benefit in using 3.0, and if 2.0 is cheaper, then I say no, they will stick with 2.0 and heavily push wireless syncing (maybe they'll smush dual antenna 450 mbps wireless N? I doubt they'll put AC into it).

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I thought the OP was talking about the dock-to-USB cable supporting USB 3. Since Macs now have USB 3, I don't see why this move wouldn't be made. USB 3 can provide more power, which would mean quicker charging plus the faster data transfer. This would be extremely helpful on the iPad since it takes about 15 days to get a full charge using USB 2 ports. I can't find my darn wall adapter right now, so it's fun charging that thing.

I know that Apple wants to go wireless with so many things, such as WiFi sync, but if you choose to sync over a cable, USB 3 is just insanely faster. I can't imagine why with a few months of lead time it wouldn't be designed in the next iPhone. If it's not in the next iPad, I would be shocked.

LaazyEye

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
I thought the OP was talking about the dock-to-USB cable supporting USB 3. Since Macs now have USB 3, I don't see why this move wouldn't be made. USB 3 can provide more power, which would mean quicker charging plus the faster data transfer. This would be extremely helpful on the iPad since it takes about 15 days to get a full charge using USB 2 ports. I can't find my darn wall adapter right now, so it's fun charging that thing.

I know that Apple wants to go wireless with so many things, such as WiFi sync, but if you choose to sync over a cable, USB 3 is just insanely faster. I can't imagine why with a few months of lead time it wouldn't be designed in the next iPhone. If it's not in the next iPad, I would be shocked.

Not sure how much this influences your argument but the 2011 MBP had it's usb ports modified to pump out 1000mA if an iPad is detected, and therefore speeds along charging. It could possibly just take a software update to allow this to happen to the new iPhone but I still think they'll be pushing wireless synching and leave the charging to wall warts.

And as far as syncing speeds, like i mentioned, they could put in dual band antenna which would allow for 450mbps transfers rate with less overhead than usb 2.0 making it likely appear to sync twice as fast (at least faster).

As much as i'd like to see the use of usb3 (and it is likely to happen), it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was not included. There's no real reason to need it, you aren't transferring data back and forth like you would with a computer.

Last edited:

JitteryJimmy

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2008
Doubt it.

Won't happen.

USB is just a standard protocol that is already supported by all iPhones for data and power. So it will be surprising if Apple doesn't continue to support USB.

That said, USB connectors are unable to handle anything except for USB. USB connectors cannot handle zero-latency audio and video, such as HDMI video, VGA video, or Stereo Line Out. And that is exactly why Apple and many others (like Samsung) have abandoned the USB connector - so that they can readily support numerous different digital and analog standards with a minimum of connectors.

Your "Bypassing iTunes" comment is simply incorrect. USB has nothing to do with iTunes or applications of any kind. USB is a data transfer bus, nothing more or less. Perhaps you are suggesting that you'd like to mount your iPhone's storage as a disk, with a file system like NTFS or EXT3 so that you can manipulate "files" with Windows Explorer?

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Doubt it.

Won't happen.

What on earth are you talking about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.