Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
I absolutely love this machine, it's the best Mac ever. It's so fast, so light, the screen is perfect, etc.

But here's what i don't like:
- no battery indicator. I used that all the time on my old MB Pro. Now i have to wake it from sleep to check the battery.
- no matte option. The screen is not as reflective as old glossy MacBooks,however it's pretty much unusable on the field in day light. My old 17-inch matte Macbook was much better.
- SD Card reader. It's a PRO machine, nobody uses SD cards, FFS. CF or gtfo!
- no LED sleep indicator. Sometimes, my old macbook didn't go to sleep (bugs, idk) and every time i'd sleep it i wait for the LED to start flashing. I'm afraid the new MBP won't go to sleep and drain the battery...
- just 2 USBs.
- the T-shaped Magsafe plug.
- no Macbook Pro logo on the screen, lol.:p

P.S. No infrared sensor and no kensington lock. But i don't really care about that.

monkthehonk

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2009
I think those are all pretty small issues, but I totally agree with the sleep and battery indicators, they were super useful

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Yeah, they are small issues, but some of them are really annoying. :(

As i said, i love this machine, no other laptop comes even close to the old generation. ;)

Ksubi

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
You forgot to add in non retina based applications = causing bluriness and fuzziness

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
I honestly fail to see why they couldn't fit the old magsafe port on this new model. It fit on the macbook air, and why the eff are they changing it to a T connector. I hated that old design. L is so much better and less intrusive.

Possibly one of the dumbest things Apple has ever done. Now they want everyone to purchase a $10 converter. What should we expect with new thunderbolt displays, magsafe 2, then older MBPs can't use it and have to buy another adapter that Apple is likely or maybe unlikely to release.

Not gonna lie, but this small change was very disappointing.

ladeer

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
No sleep indicator???? Shiiiiiit
My windows 7 is super buggy when it comes to sleep and if I can't make sure it sleeps it will burn in the bag. This is a serious problem.

But I love the new power plug and hate the old one, because the l shape plug is very hard to fall of in one direction. If someone trips over it from the wrong direction, the laptop will still fall from table. Also the l shape always blocks my port, or protrude forward which is hard on a tiny place like business class seat.

88 King

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
London, UK
- no matte option. The screen is not as reflective as old glossy MacBooks,however it's pretty much unusable on the field in day light. My old 17-inch matte Macbook was much better.
- just 2 USBs.

I also dislike reflective screen and prefer anti-glare. But after playing around with the new mbp in Apple shop, I think I could live with it. I don't plan to use the mbp out doors anyway, it is too big and heavy for that.

2 USB ports is just OK for me, but 3 would have been nice.

I'm disappointed the SD card stick out a bit in the new mpb, I was hoping to leave a 128GB sd card in there permanently for media file storage.

John566

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2008
I really like my Retina MBP so far for the most part. The screen is amazing and it is light and fast.

However there are some real issues. The sleep light is also a real problem for me. I have had too many laptops run in bags and nearly burn up because they didn't go to sleep like they were supposed to. Now I have to hold this thing up to my ear and strain to hear if it has gone to sleep.

My biggest annoyance and the one that may cause this thing to get returned is that the two finger scrolling is so jerky. My other Macs are smooth as butter. This one is like using a Windows PC or scrolling on an older android phone. I hope they fix this soon or it's going back.

Swain

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2011
I also dislike reflective screen and prefer anti-glare. But after playing around with the new mbp in Apple shop, I think I could live with it. I don't plan to use the mbp out doors anyway, it is too big and heavy for that.

2 USB ports is just OK for me, but 3 would have been nice.

I'm disappointed the SD card stick out a bit in the new mpb, I was hoping to leave a 128GB sd card in there permanently for media file storage.

Wait you have SD cards that big? Man I need to keep up with technology.

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
I really like my Retina MBP so far for the most part. The screen is amazing and it is light and fast.

However there are some real issues. The sleep light is also a real problem for me. I have had too many laptops run in bags and nearly burn up because they didn't go to sleep like they were supposed to. Now I have to hold this thing up to my ear and strain to hear if it has gone to sleep.

My biggest annoyance and the one that may cause this thing to get returned is that the two finger scrolling is so jerky. My other Macs are smooth as butter. This one is like using a Windows PC or scrolling on an older android phone. I hope they fix this soon or it's going back.

Did you update the software? If it's still not fixed it will with mountain lion.

You can see how smooth the scrolling is during their key note demo using a retina macbook pro.

88 King

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
London, UK
Wait you have SD cards that big? Man I need to keep up with technology.

I meant when it is inserted in to the slot, the back end of the sd card sticks out around 1/4 of its lenght. It is similar to the sd card reader for the ipad camera connection kit. I'd prefer it to be flash with the side of the mbp.

John566

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2008
I have all the updates and it still stutters. It is also pretty bad in the app store when scrolling through the apps. I just installed Google Chrome Browser and it looks to be a bit better but still not what I'm used to on a mac. I like to skim through a page while I'm scrolling and if it is not perfectly smooth it can be very hard to focus on the text.

I also was disappointed that the SD cards stick out. My 512GB will fill up quick and having my 128GB SDXC card with movies that I could have left inside the machine would have been perfect.

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
I'm sure software updates will solve the problem. And I'm sure it sticks out so you can grab it with your fingers.

88 King

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
London, UK
Coud you please let us know does the stutters happens with different resolution settings or does it only happens when the HD4000 is been used?

----------

And I'm sure it sticks out so you can grab it with your fingers.

Apple could have used a spring mechanism to have the card flash against the side of the machine, works with lots of other laptops.

simonpickard

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2009
I checked out the new 15" today at the Apple Store.
Love the new thin design and the screen is very sharp. However I have to say I'm not going to bite.

I love my 17" Macbook Pro 2011 and the space I get at 1920x1200. I tried the new 15" at this res and while sharp things did seem to lag a little and the smaller size was pushing my eyes.

I *wish* Apple had released a new 17" Retina version. Oh well.. My trusty 17' will last me a few years me thinks.

Regards,
Simon

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
I absolutely love this machine, it's the best Mac ever. It's so fast, so light, the screen is perfect, etc.

- no battery indicator. I used that all the time on my old MB Pro. Now i have to wake it from sleep to check the battery.
- no LED sleep indicator. Sometimes, my old macbook didn't go to sleep (bugs, idk) and every time i'd sleep it i wait for the LED to start flashing. I'm afraid the new MBP won't go to sleep and drain the battery...
- just 2 USBs.
- the T-shaped Magsafe plug.

P.S. No infrared sensor and no kensington lock. But i don't really care about that.

Where is this on the old one, is it on the 2011 models? I not seen this I don't think?

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Where is this on the old one, is it on the 2011 models? I not seen this I don't think?

It's a white light on the front (near the black IR sensor) that pulses while the laptop is in sleep mode:

4600827914_9c6d618522_z.jpg

Should be there on all unibody Macbook Pros (2008-2012) besides the new Retina model.

Penooker

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010

These haven't been on the Macbook Air, and it is annoying. The laptop has stayed on in my bag more than a few times. For a while, it would actually burn up everyday. If Parallels was running when the MBA goes into suspend to disk, it would hang. They system couldn't shut down, no indicator lights, and just use up all the battery. So I ended up having to disable hybrid sleep / suspend to disk.

darwinian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
In R4, more or less
The sleep indicator light will be an annoyance for sure, for exactly the reason specified about having the laptop not safely sleep upon closure. I guess the new failsafe workflow (since we can't even HEAR much of anything going on in the new machine) will be to get a visual indication of sleep prior to closing the lid.

You know, it was those little details that made the Mac hardware experience so complete. Magnetic closures, side-mounted quick battery checks, etc. I expect some of these features to return in future iterations, but that's a 1.0.

I'm wondering about standby time, too. I'm not sure what's going on with my current MBP, but I noticed that its standby sleep time sucks. That is to say, if the computer is sleeping and on battery, it drains surprisingly quickly (10% drop over first 5-8 hrs, and possibly accelerating). My point here is that IF standby time is increased in these purely solid state devices, then the external battery indicator light will be less important for me. Said another way, I don't worry about the iPad battery diminishing significantly while in the equivalent of sleep mode here, and I'm hoping a similar situation with the rMBP.

PS Remember when Mac OS 9 would wake from sleep? Some of the early OS X's were bad, too, but I cannot recall when that was 'fixed' for good. OS 9 was infuriatingly slow, even for that time.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Odd, most of the videographers in my industry that I've been working with who have been in the industry for 10+ years give me SD cards with footage on them. Maybe I should tell them they're wrong.

That's weird because their cameras certainly do not use SD cards.

CompactFlash is pretty much in all the high-end cameras exclusively and it is actually a lot faster too.

I agree, why didn't they just make it a combo-slot, so all with (cough) consumer cameras can have their SD cards and those with CompactFlash can have theirs as well.

Good thing I still have my CompactFlash FireWire 800 reader ... oh wait, need the new-fangled dongle for that. If only that slot had been combo.

Technically, you can have any add-on you wish with two ThunderBolt-ports.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
- just 2 USBs.

SD cards are used by more photographers then CF cards. The "Pro" moniker is purely there for marketing. I think all of the MBPs only have two USBs and have only had 2 for a while now. I don't care about the logo on the screen - didn't notice it missing for that matter. 17" MBPs were not selling which is why they killed if off. If apple was making money on the 17" MBPs they would still be in the line up.

As for the kensington lock. That is all but useless. One good tug would have pulled it out, or some cutters.

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
I had no idea the new one had no battery or sleep indicator. I guess Apple doesn't want to imply that you might run out of battery life. I used to use the sleep indicator to make sure it was fully asleep so that I wouldn't jerk the laptop away and have the sudden motion sensor lock the HDD and interrupt sleep but that isn't really a problem now with SSDs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.