Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

voodoopenguin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Hey guys,

I've been looking for a leather briefcase for 15" MBP that has velvet lining. Something along the lines of the saddleback thin briefcase (http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classic-Briefcase-Thin?sc=8&category=83).

The only case I've come across with velvet lining is the viajero by sena (http://www.senacases.com/apple/macbook-pro-cases/viajero-cases/). Though their Italian leather is fantastic (I own one of their sleeves for the iphone) and the lining is spot on, I'm just not fond of the zipper at all.

Anyone know of anything else out there? I've done searches on here and google, and looked through many threads referring to cases/leather cases, etc. No such luck.

I appreciate any help!

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
I own many Saddleback Leather products myself (I own the Saddleback Leather large thin briefcase), and am a huge fan of SBL. I'm not sure if you're actually looking for a BAG or a CASE.

If you want a case, I would recommend you get the Saddleback Leather MacBook sleeve.

There's also Renaissance Leather which allows you to create your own custom leather Macbook bag.

If you want a bag, get the Saddleback Leather thin briefcase. You can request suede lining from customer service.

A good alternative would be to look at Rustic Leather, who makes full grain leather products like SBL and is very similar to SBL.

Please clarify whether you're looking for a bag or a case. Perhaps the above links will help you some.

Last edited:

voodoopenguin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Thanks for the reply! I'll take a look at those links when I get a chance. I put "case" in the title to keep it short, but I'm looking for a briefcase/bag.

Thanks again!

voodoopenguin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
You're welcome! Let me know what you decide on getting.

So I looked through all of those links, and while a lot of those bags look awesome, they're not quite what I was looking for. I did see the other day while looking at the saddleback that they offered suede lining (like you mentioned), but from my experience suede is "rough" and "sheds" -- What I mean by rough is that items get caught with the material instead of "gliding" along it (if that makes sense). I could have been dealing with bad suede though.

Do you have any experience with their suede lining?

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
So I looked through all of those links, and while a lot of those bags look awesome, they're not quite what I was looking for. I did see the other day while looking at the saddleback that they offered suede lining (like you mentioned), but from my experience suede is "rough" and "sheds" -- What I mean by rough is that items get caught with the material instead of "gliding" along it (if that makes sense). I could have been dealing with bad suede though.

Do you have any experience with their suede lining?

You are correct in that suede does "shed". I do own a couple of SBL items with suede lining, and they do "shed", but not drastically like some other suede lined leather bags that I've come in contact with. SBL also features pigskin lining, which is the second toughest lining in the world. My experience with their pigskin is despite it being tough, it's durable and I prefer it to suede because it doesn't "shed".

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
I recently bought a Chromebag Bravo, It's a backpack, but they also have other type of bags. One disadvantage, they have a separate laptop compartment on the front. I don't use that, I use a sleeve (by Jolioriginals) and just put that in the big compartment. If you use a sleeve you can just use any type of bag that you like :)

Edit: just saw that it was a very old post, so probably not really relevant anymore for the TS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.