Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
I'm not sure how I feel about it, let me call in a buddy who's an expert and can tell me.

Seriously, I really like Pawn Stars, mainly for the stuff people bring in, but it eventually started getting really lame that almost every single item on the show required an 'expert' to come look at it. I watched an episode the other night, and there wasn't a single item that he didn't call in help for.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I don't know if ALL reality TV is garbage, but the vast majority of it sure is. I've been amazed by the sudden surge of "redneck reality" shows like "Lizard Lick Towing", "Hillbilly Hand Fishing", "Swamp People" and "Black Gold", along with all the pawn, auction, motorcycle, and towing shows. There are some I find particularly awful, such as "Operation Repo" (just stupidly scripted) and "All Worked Up" (same thing). Basically, if the characters are over-the-top and the show seems even somewhat scripted, I probably will not like it.

None of those shows (except for Swamp People) are reality television. They are all scripted and filmed "reenactments". Crap television.

As far as the prices go on Pawn Stars, keep in mind that if he can sell something for $1000, and offers them $600 for it, he's not making $400 profit off of that. He's running a business, and operating expenses, insurance, wages, etc are a big portion of that.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I don't know if ALL reality TV is garbage, but the vast majority of it sure is. I've been amazed by the sudden surge of "redneck reality" shows like "Lizard Lick Towing", "Hillbilly Hand Fishing", "Swamp People" and "Black Gold", along with all the pawn, auction, motorcycle, and towing shows. There are some I find particularly awful, such as "Operation Repo" (just stupidly scripted) and "All Worked Up" (same thing). Basically, if the characters are over-the-top and the show seems even somewhat scripted, I probably will not like it.

But there are several reality shows that I have enjoyed, like "Deadliest Catch". I also enjoy some of the competition shows like "Amazing Race" and "Survivor".

Yeah, that's the other thing--it's like they will take ANY and every blue collar job and turn it into a show, until it just crosses the line and becomes trash, like that Pitbulls and Parolees or whatever the hell it is.

I will shamelessly admit that I do enjoy Survivor and Deadliest Catch, but that's it. Nothing else beyond those and I don't make it a point to sit and watch the latter.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
It depends on the show really. I think Deadliest Catch is pretty good, it seems more like actual reality TV than other shows. When I watch it I feel like they're just out getting their butts kicked by the ocean, and it doesn't feel scripted at all to me.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
Remember when the history channel actually had interesting historical documentaries instead of a bunch of reality crap that has literally nothing to do with history?

TV in general is in a sad, sad place.

Reality shows are cheaper for them to make than actual documentaries and often get better ratings. Although I do agree with you, Discovery has gone the same way.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Pawn Stars is definitely not your routine pawn shop experience. Like abi posted above the popularity of the show has definitely altered it's business from that of your regular pawn shop. Most pawn shops are about helping people who need money by buying things from them at a low price and making profit on the resale. If the person doesn't want to actually sell the item then they can get a loan on it (pawn it) and must make payments plus interest in order to get the item back.

Pawn shops are generally not "nice" places to visit. By this I mean, don't think of your routine clean and pristine shopping experience like going to a mall or a national chain store like Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc.. They are not always in the best parts of town and often have bars on the windows and doors. Pawn shop owners typically want to buy things they can turn around and sell for profit. You will often find used electronics, jewelry, tools, sports equipment, etc. Everything in the store is bought and sold through negotiation, price tags are meaningless as it's all about the "art of the deal". Profit and loss are all that matters to the store owner, they don't care what you can find the item for elsewhere. Basically, if you are not the kind of person who likes to haggle and bargain then you won't do well at a pawn shop and probably won't enjoy the experience.

As antiques and resale items have increased in popularity through reality television people have gotten the idea that they can find a "diamond in the rough" and make a fortune, but the truth is most pawn shops don't deal in antiques or collectibles. People have also gotten the idea that they can find a deal at a pawn shop, which is also not typically the case. Exposure has actually served to raise prices across the board in my experiene.

In my life I've bought some things from pawn shops and it's been a good experience. For example, as a teen I wanted to start playing golf. My dad wisely took me to a pawn shop and we bought a used set of clubs for $60 to see if I would actually take to the game. When I did, it was then justifiable to spend a greater amount of money for an actual good set of clubs. Had I just played for a summer and quit then the $100's of dollars spent on new clubs would have been a waste. Shopping at a pawn shop can be fun and a good experience. You just need to know what you are looking for, do your research, and be prepared to bargain or walk away.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
None of those shows (except for Swamp People) are reality television. They are all scripted and filmed "reenactments". Crap television.

What I HATE MOST about suedo- reality T.V. shows is this. It's dishonest to make something look like it's real when it is based on something that could be real using actors.

The point is it is not an honest portrayal. Although you can say Pawn Stars is not completely real, the people who come into the shop are real people with real items, negotiating a sale, not reenactments. If I ever discover that what happens in Pawn Star is a reenactment and outcomes are pre-determined, I'd be much less likely to watch.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
"Pawn Stars" is one of the very few reality shows I like, but I have a few nitpicks about it. There are far too many commercials for such a low budget production. You really have to DVR it and skip past them. Also, the edited suspense "pauses" right before the expert's value is revealed are very annoying.

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
love Pawn Stars. although a friend of mine went there when she went out to Vegas and said the actual store is nothing like what they show on tv.

and wtf is this new show Cajun Pawn Stars? really?...

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
I've been to Vegas like 8 times (family) and never saw the store, my aunt says I've probably passed it a million times while I was there. I do love the show and as for if Rick is fair or not I usually gauge it by item somtines he is and somtines he isn't, I would say cory is more fair if not only because isn't experienced as Rick. Just speculating but it's my 2 cents

Ricky Smith

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2006
Boston, MA
As someone who's worked on reality shows for networks such as history. The "facts" they're always spouting are scripted. Usually researched by a low paid production assistant ;).

Rick n company aren't nearly as versed in the subjects as they appear.

Also it's Americans fault that these shows are popular. With everyone pirating, not wanting "active" television and something they can watch with no thought, not wanting commercials and wanting everything to be the cheapest they have no issue but to shoot low budget shows these days

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
I would not say the store is "nothing like" what you see on the show. They just pick camera angles that obscure the smallness of the store, and probably block people from milling about while they are filming. However, the outside shots are pretty unbelievable. Like when someone brings a boat or calliope they show in the parking lot. During the day. Yeah, right, we were lucky to find a parking space, almost got into a fight.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
It beats the hell out of Hardcore Pawn. I can't stand the daughter on that show.

I watch Hardcore Pawn for the same reasons I look at a huge wreck on the side of the road. I know you shouldn't, but there's something about it that draws me in.

Hardcore Pawn has it's purposes for entertainment. And that's all it is, scripted entertainment. I just hope the employees are better pawn brokers than they are actors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.