Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
The table I have is 32" deep by 58" wide. It's a kitchen dining table with the leaves fully extended. The 27" iMac sits 16" from the front edge and is nicely placed.

iamdavekennedy

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
London / Belfast
Thank you Dave, well I think you have convinced me that 70cm depth is not too much and although it may not be huge, knowing that some people get away with much smaller desks makes me think this is the happiest medium I can probably find.

That's a very generous offer but I'm actually based in Cornwall at the moment so I can't take advantage of it unfortunately but thank you none the less.

No problem at all! Good luck finding your perfect desk! :)

highlights

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2005
If you want to be creative and cobble something together, I'll suggest a set of trestles from ikea and a door (from the habitat restore or other salvage place). They come in every imaginable size and are cheap and sturdy. That's how I made my desk for about $50 and it's the exact size I wanted. With metal trestles it's also quite sturdy.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I've come across this desk now which might fit the bill better. I'm starting to think a desk 75cm deep is too much and 60cm isn't enough so I'm looking for something in between but there isn't much I can find.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40111124/#/80115988

What do you think?
The annoying thing is it's more than twice the price of the other two I was looking at not sure why.

(It also says "Holds up to a 19" monitor." not sure why it would say that, sure it can manage the 27" iMac.)

Funny you bring that up because I actually used to own that as well. It was my last desk before I got the Vika and its used at my parent's house now. But its a great exceptional desk. The reason why it's more expensive is it's metal under frame and much heavier table top. The Vika Amon table top is really light as its made up of that mashed up wood (not sure what it's called). The Fredrik table top just feels more sturdy overall. The metal frame has wide legs so its also more stable than the Vika and theres also a cable management area in the back so these are the reasons why I think it's more expensive.

I wish I had a picture of my Fredrik setup before but I never took a photo of it. Anyway, I'm kind of thinking of trading back with my parents again because I had equipped the fredrik with two under frame drawer units on both sides which also made it more functional for me. Thats another reason why the fredrik is more expensive too: it's more modular; you can expand it with drawer units that hang under the table top (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50111128/). I think the Vika Amon can have shelving and drawer units too, but they serve double purposes as being the legs as well.

Would you mind posting a pic of your desk setup to give us an idea or how it looks with the iMac on and what kind of space it takes up?

Sure, here's my current setup now. Sorry, my midi keyboard blocks the view of the iMac stand but this is why I had chose this desk (and prior to this, the fredrik), is because of the greater depth that allows me to use it in front of my iMac. Also as iMikeT above me suggests, the Galant will also be more than sufficient. It's actually larger than both the fredrik and Vika.

web.jpg

Last edited:

mikdog

macrumors member
May 8, 2012
Here's mine. Found this desk in a second-hand store. Works like a charm, and cheap. Have since replaced with Wacom Intuos with a wireless Intuos 5.

workspace.jpg

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Funny you bring that up because I actually used to own that as well. It was my last desk before I got the Vika and its used at my parent's house now. But its a great exceptional desk. The reason why it's more expensive is it's metal under frame and much heavier table top. The Vika Amon table top is really light as its made up of that mashed up wood (not sure what it's called). The Fredrik table top just feels more sturdy overall. The metal frame has wide legs so its also more stable than the Vika and theres also a cable management area in the back so these are the reasons why I think it's more expensive.

I wish I had a picture of my Fredrik setup before but I never took a photo of it. Anyway, I'm kind of thinking of trading back with my parents again because I had equipped the fredrik with two under frame drawer units on both sides which also made it more functional for me. Thats another reason why the fredrik is more expensive too: it's more modular; you can expand it with drawer units that hang under the table top (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50111128/). I think the Vika Amon can have shelving and drawer units too, but they serve double purposes as being the legs as well.

Sure, here's my current setup now. Sorry, my midi keyboard blocks the view of the iMac stand but this is why I had chose this desk (and prior to this, the fredrik), is because of the greater depth that allows me to use it in front of my iMac. Also as iMikeT above me suggests, the Galant will also be more than sufficient. It's actually larger than both the fredrik and Vika.

That's great man thanks for posting up that pic.

It is the larger Vika Amon isn't it? Slight shame that they only have that table top in two colours but it does look nice in white and it'll go with my room so I think I'll go for that.

I can certainly see why you appreciate the depth especially and it looks a really nice clean setup and the desk looks neither too big or too small.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

It is the larger Vika Amon isn't it? Slight shame that they only have that table top in two colours but it does look nice in white and it'll go with my room so I think I'll go for that.

Yep. 59" x 29.5". But there's an even larger one that is about 78" long, but only 23" wide.

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
England
Your best bet is to, go to Ikea and walk round to the office section, as they have all the desks on there site setup with office chairs so you can judge for youself :)

i got myself a nice corner desk from Ikea today for my 27" iMac and im very happy.

unknownking123

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2010

I can certainly see why you appreciate the depth especially and it looks a really nice clean setup and the desk looks neither too big or too small.

Did you decide on a desk in the end?

I've currently got a desk that's 60cm deep like this one and considering a 27" iMac. Just don't know whether I'll need a new desk as well.

----------

http://oi46.tinypic.com/14ebfpl.jpg

Still need to stain the legs on the chair to match the desk but you get the idea!

Wow, that looks great!

I'm thinking about getting a 27" iMac and if I find my current desk (60 cm deep) is too small, I might just decide to create my own. Is it fairly easy to securely attach Ikea legs to a piece of wood? - amateur at DIY

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Did you decide on a desk in the end?

I've currently got a desk that's 60cm deep like this one and considering a 27" iMac. Just don't know whether I'll need a new desk as well.

----------

Wow, that looks great!

I'm thinking about getting a 27" iMac and if I find my current desk (60 cm deep) is too small, I might just decide to create my own. Is it fairly easy to securely attach Ikea legs to a piece of wood? - amateur at DIY

I went for the Vika Amon that was 60cm by 150cm I believe.

But I won't know how suitable it is until my 27" iMac turns up.

Good thing is I can still use the legs (vika adils) for a larger Vika Amon table top if I decide it's not big enough, but I'm hoping 60cm depth is just enough.

unknownking123

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2010
I went for the Vika Amon that was 60cm by 150cm I believe.

But I won't know how suitable it is until my 27" iMac turns up.

Good thing is I can still use the legs (vika adils) for a larger Vika Amon table top if I decide it's not big enough, but I'm hoping 60cm depth is just enough.

Nice choice and fingers crossed.

Likewise it's a shame Ikea don't offer more variety in sizes as I don't really want a 150cm long desk so I may have to create my own.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
This is my current desk:

Ikea Micke

I did a few modifications to it. My wife has the smaller Micke desk. I took the wooden side panel from her's. So now my desk has two wooden sides and her's has two metal sides. The reason I did this was so that I could screw and glue two long pieces of wood to the bottom. Since I am 6'4" the desk needed to go up a few inches!

Just pretend that that old 2006 MacBook Pro is a 21.5" iMac:

Attachments

• SAM_1098 2.JPG
    SAM_1098 2.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 362
Last edited:

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
And is that comfortable for you or would you prefer the desk to be deeper and have more space? It sounds like a good size can I assume you got it from somewhere in America that isn't available in the UK, that would be typical. ;)

Is that the 80cm deep one or the 60cm deep? One seems too big and the other seems possibly too small for the 27" iMac.

Could you please take a photo of our iMac on this desk? Want to get an idea for real world size :)

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Could you please take a photo of our iMac on this desk? Want to get an idea for real world size :)

Well I can when it arrives but I've been given estimated dates of 28th December - January 4th.

Do you still want a photo or will that be too late?

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Well I can when it arrives but I've been given estimated dates of 28th December - January 4th.

Do you still want a photo or will that be too late?

Sorry I don't read things properly, but yeah it's never too late :) just cause I'm moving out of my current place next summer so looking at furniture for going back home / future place :)

RipeRetina

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
Maryland
I know this is an old thread but I'm looking for a nice small desk / table to sit a 27 inch imac on. Anybody find a working link and help me shop? Thanks.

Really? Thanks for your post because I considered this desk when I thought I'd go for the 21.5" iMac but I figured it'd be too small but you're saying it's not too small even for a 27" screen. You don't feel like you're too close or there's not enough room for your mouse and keyboard, also don't keep hitting your knees and legs against the side of the desk. Those are the things that concern me about a desk of that size.

agent mac

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2007
i have an 80cm deep IKEA table/desk with an old 24" iMac on it. Often I wish it was further away from me, and yet I've just ordered the 27" to replace it as 21 just seemed too small. But I can't help keep thinking that no one sits arms length from their TV but we're all content to sit that close to a similarly sized bright screen...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.