Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
It's the built-in DHCP server part that is hard to find.

The DHCP server should allow for address reservations.

Fully managed would be OK, but it should still be small, fanless and not too expensive.

Around 8 ports.

Does this exist?

Thanks

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
We had some Cisco 2960s (WS-C2960-8TC-L) that worked very well. I believe they can run DHCP as you describe.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
The small 2960s do not provide PoE.

Do you know if it's possible to run a DHCP server in the SG200 or SG300?

Thanks

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I don't think it's possible.

Maybe on the compact 3xxx, but they are expensive.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Some of those are just way overpriced IMO.

The WS-C2960PD-8TT-L provides 1 PoE and the WS-C2960-24LC-S has 24 PoE. Sorry I missed that point.

The HP 1910 series may work, but I cannot find if they have an internal DHCP server. They do have a lifetime warranty though. We had a couple HP switches connecting an HPC cluster and had no issues with them.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
The WS-C2960PD-8TT-L is PoE input.

The manuals of the compact HPs don't talk about any DHCP server.

So, I was looking for an 8x gigabit PoE ethernet router or UTM and found nothing fitting.

My provider only supports their own QoS DSL router, so I want to ignore its lame DHCP server and only add 1 compact device.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
You might just be out of luck; I'm not sure anything like that is manufactured in an 8-port form factor.

Would it work to get a simple router to handle DHCP and connect to a gigabit switch w/PoE, something like the HP's mentioned above?

Ap0ks

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Cambridge, UK
The WS-C2960PD-8TT-L is PoE input.

The manuals of the compact HPs don't talk about any DHCP server.

So, I was looking for an 8x gigabit PoE ethernet router or UTM and found nothing fitting.

My provider only supports their own QoS DSL router, so I want to ignore its lame DHCP server and only add 1 compact device.
Looks like a Juniper EX2200-C may fit the bill (well all except expensiveness), 12 gigabit ports, PoE and DHCP but it all comes at a cost :(

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Yes, I looked at Juniper, which is very interesting, but it is expensive.

It is a shame that the little Netgear doesn't have a DHCP server.

SingaporeStu

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2009
Cisco SG200-08P. But only 4 ports are PoE (802.3af). Good news is they are Gigabit Ethernet ports. As for DHCP server, the data sheet says it supports only option 66 & 67 but there are other layer 2 switching options. Why don't you check the data sheet on the Cisco website? As for price, I don't think its gonna be cheap, but it shouldn't be more expensive than Juniper or such-like brands.

----------

Btw, just curious, what would you use the PoE for?

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I think I can just get the little Netgear GS110TP, and use the Airport Extreme's DHCP server, which supports reservations.
Then I can set up an ACL only allowing DHCP, printer, and internet for the untrusted VLAN.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Does anyone know a compact PoE UTM with around 8 gigabit ports?

Thanks

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Pros and cons of GS110TP vs SG200-08P ?

Thanks

I can't give you a pro/con, but I use a Cisco SG200-26, which is in the same class of Cisco switch that you're looking at, without the PoE, and I can say the switch is incredible. Zero issues whatsoever. I'm running a few ridiculous setups on it and it doesn't bat an eye. It just works.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
It seems to me that the Netgear offers finer grained port filtering than the Cisco.

macman2023

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2008
The most effective way to do what you describe is use a personal router behind the ISP equipment and set up your personal router as the DMZ device. You may also be able to disable the router function or request your ISP do this to allow for your own equipment. If this is something the ISP will do they would usually call it Bridge mode.

I can tell you I have a pair of the Netgear ProSafe GS108T's and they don't do DHCP, they are considered a Smart Switch which is closer to a managed switch than normal but still a far ways off.

havosoki

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
I can't give you a pro/con, but I use a Cisco SG200-26, which is in the same class of Cisco switch that you're looking at, without the PoE, and I can say the switch is incredible. Zero issues whatsoever. I'm running a few ridiculous setups on it and it doesn't bat an eye. It just works.

It can be a DHCP server as well?

xnetprox

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
Any particular reason why it needs to have a built-in dhcp server?

I've used this POE switch from Panoptic Technology on a lot of my sites and it can do some pretty advanced VLAN management, which you can then link to a seperate DHCP server in your router: http://www.panoptictechnology.com/pse-8-smart-switch/

Alternatively, if you REALLY need to have the DHCP server as well, this little Mikrotik switch will do it for you: http://routerboard.com/RB750UP

It's only got 5 ports, but it's really cheap (~$60) so buy two if you need more. This one will only output 24V on each port though, so it's not truly 802.3af compliant. Normally POE is 48V. I'm sure there's POE adapters to step up the voltage if you need it, but it's definitely not an ideal solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.