Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Btw: My G51989 name does NOT mean my date of birth :rolleyes:

The first computer that I bought with my own money, was a Packbard Bell 486, DX2 Intel Overdrive. 75mzh. 32mb of ram, Windows 95.

I had tons of good times on that computer. I bought it used for about 750 dollars. I mowed a good deal of Lawns to buy that computer.

Age Of Empires 1 and 2, Roller Coaster Tycoon. Sim City 2000, Quake, Doom 1 and 2, and tons of other super sweet games :D First internet on that computer as well. I love my Packard Bell, will keep it for life. ( Currently have an SSD in it. Though it only recgonizes 18 Gigs of it, and I have 3 adapters to actually make it work lol. ). I hope it lasts a long time.

My first Mac was a used G3 iMac. Loved that as well.

I still have them both. :)

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
First one owned
600px-TI99-IMG_1680.jpg

Second
Zx81-timex-manipulated.jpg

Third
800px-Atari-800XL.jpg

Fourth
800px-Atari_1040STf.jpg

Fifth
800px-MacIntosh_Plus_img_1317.jpg

Above images from Wikimedia commons

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
a dirty ole macintosh 512k i still have it and it works just need a mouse for it. was givin to my family, this was before internet was a standard in every house, a bit after that we got a compaq brand new running windows 95 then i went back to mac after another pc and flip flopped between the two :p
apple-macintosh-512k-htw-640.jpg

hantsbay

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2012
Hampshire, UK
Atari 520ST. No monitor though - plugged into Television! Hours of fun playing James Pond, Robocop etc.

Then loads of 386s, 486s etc, as my mother's business was based at home in the early 90s and we used to venture in there after school.

First Mac was a Performa 450 Pizza Box! (I think...:p)

I reckon I've had 27 Macs, 28th is on the way (Retina MBP).

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
The Apple II+ was my 3rd personal computer. The first computer I ever used was some big IBM thing with tape drives and a card reader that took up an entire room. My first personal computer came as a bag of components, some sockets, and a wiring diagram.

brentmore

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
ATX
The Mac Plus started it all for me. I even had the exernal floppy drive for it and the giant blue padded carrying case.

Renzatic

Suspended
Atari 520ST. No monitor though - plugged into Television! Hours of fun playing James Pond, Robocop etc.

Ha! That was my second computer, and even had that big rounded 13-15 inch monitor. My uncle was huge Atari computer fan back in the day for some odd reason, and always convinced my mom to grab their machines for me. He later upgraded it to a 1040ST by snapping a bunch of little ram chips into it.

Thanks to my Atari ST, the smell of hot plastic always puts me in a nostalgic mood.

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
The first computer I remember using was my father's Compaq Deskpro (I believe it was a Model 1) -- 8MHz, 1MB of RAM, monochrome (gold) screen, dual 5.25" floppies, upgraded with the optional sound card (the demo, which I loved, played Flight of the Bumblebee).

I was 6 or 7 when he got it and it was predominantly off-limits.

When I was 8, one of the companies he represented provided him with a Macintosh SE (8MHz, 2MB RAM, 20MB HD) -- because it was "portable" and he could use it to demonstrate their software while visiting customers.

He was so entrenched in DOS and BASIC, that he hated the concept of a GUI and didn't care for using a mouse… so the Macintosh became my computer… and the rest is history.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
My first Macintosh was a Macintosh LC II -- I got this when I was 10 years old, in the 4th grade, as my first computer. It had 4MB of RAM, a 40MB Hard Drive, and ran System 7.

macintosh-lc-ii.jpg

My first computer, however was... (and my training on this helped me on the Mac)...a WHIZ KID! Yes, I probably had the Whiz Kid when I was 5 or 6:

whiz-kid2.jpg

whiz-kid1.jpg

Yes, now that Whiz Kid is one serious laptop -- it even talks to you!! And it has a Flash Card Reader built-in!! Seriously!! Technology of 1986.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
I had considered a Mac when shopping for my first computer at 14 years old, but I was to scared to use something that wasn't well known. Plus, I couldn't play RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 on a Mac :p

My dad likes to "go big or go home"- meaning get the best available at the time. So, he bought me a Dell Inspiron 8500. A $2000 Dell :rolleyes:

It lasted me a good 6 years, grade 7 to 13. But it wasn't going to get me through college, and upgrading parts wasn't worth the price. It lacked built-in wifi, both batteries were dead, and the 512MB ram was getting painfully slow- so it was time for a new $2K computer that can carry me another 6 years (hopefully longer).

0,1462,sz=1&i=23133,00.jpg

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
We had and Apple IIc followed by a IIe. Oregon trail is the last computer game I played :eek:

these were followed by 286's 386's 486's etc. but never Intel until it was Intel vs. AMD. I then switched back to Apple because Apple didn't use intel processors. :rolleyes:

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
Back in the day it was 386dx (amd) with 8megs of ram and a huge (at the time the norm was 40mb hdds) 100mb seagate hard drive (the hard drive still works today!) I missed the 80s golden age of computing:(
Had to use either ms dos or the crappy windows that crashed like no other, so I learned a lot about command line, still useful to this day!

Stephen1213

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
Pensacola, FL
My family's first computers in the late 90s were Packard Bell Multimedia tower PCs running Windows 95. One of them was exactly like this one, but we had another one that looked slightly different. They were nice little machines for their time. I had a lot of fun with those machines, playing the games that were bundled with the computer or playing some games online (through AOL, of course... yuck. ). Although sometimes, as I was a child, I got a little too curious with the computer and occasionally ended up doing something stupid (like deleting a file) and screwing up the Windows installation. I couldn't tell you how many times my dad had to reinstall Windows because of me. :eek:

A little later, we got another computer second-hand from somebody. I don't recall what the model or manufacturer of the computer was, but I do know it was a pizza box form factor and it ran Windows for Workgroups 3.11. That was a fun machine to use for games, too, even though it was quite outdated. We didn't have it for too long, though, as eventually it suffered a hardware failure (not sure what exactly went wrong) and quit working. :(

After myself going through numerous PCs and laptops over the years, I finally got around to purchasing my first Mac just about a month ago... a refurbished mid-2006 MacBook in excellent condition. Throughout my elementary and middle school days (My high school used PCs, sadly) I had used Macs extensively, ranging from Performa and LC all-in-ones to the 1st generation of Intel Macs. I always enjoyed and loved the Mac OS and I had always wanted a Mac to use at home. Although, I admit, when I first used OS X in middle school, it took me a while to get warmed up to it after only using OS 9 and earlier in elementary school. I ended up going with an older refurbished model because A) I can't afford a brand-new Mac at this point in time and B) an authorized Apple reseller opened up recently in my town and I got a great deal on it. Plus I desperately needed a new laptop because my old Dell Inspiron laptop was literally falling apart (cracking, screws coming out, etc.). :eek: I'm quite pleased with this MacBook - it may be old but I really haven't found anything that I do that I would need a newer, expensive Mac for. :D

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
As I said, my Macintosh LC II was my first computer, but my second computer was probably the one I loved most, a Power Macintosh 9500/120 -- I went all out and convinced my Dad to get me this computer when I was 13 years old in 1995. It was pretty cool. Had a 17" MultipleScan monitor with it, and eventually got this connected with a cable modem in 1997. The 9500 was Apple's top-of-the-line professional tower machine with 6 PCI slots and 8 RAM slots and 3 drive bays, highly expandable and super-fast with a 604 processor. Here is a picture of what a 9500 looks like:

powermac_9500_132_front_cropped.jpg

By the way, I have to buy all my computers, for myself now...no more "free" computers with my parents fitting the bill. And yes, Apple's stuff is still expensive...

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
As soon as I find ink cartridges for the Stylewriter, my 26 year old Mac Plus will be put back to work.

Canon BC-01 cartridge or compatible. Still available new. There are also Apple old-stock cartridges available still for as cheap as $10, but I wouldn't trust that a 20 year old ink cartridge is still good, even if it is sealed.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
1. Atari 400
2. Atari 800XL
3. Commodore 64
4. Amiga 500
5. Mac SE/30
6. Mac LC 575
7. Toshiba satellite 435
8. iBook 500 dualUSB
9. MacBook CoreDuo

Others random computers I've picked up here and there

Dell P4 Inspiron laptop
Dell 1525 hackintosh
Some compaq leftovers from work
Dell celeron desktop my dad didn't want anymore

Scott Baret

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
My first was an Apple IIe Enhanced. We got this computer used in April 1989. It had a Monitor III, twin Disk II drives, and a Citizen dot matrix printer. The Monitor III was later replaced with an Apple Color Composite monitor. This computer was in service until 1992.

In May 1991, my father brought home a Mac Classic from work. In the pre-PowerBook days (when the "Luggable" didn't make sense financially), it was easy to just take a compact home from work. This is what got me into the Mac platform.

My first new Mac was an LC in March 1992. I still have this computer and retired it from service in 2009. Currently it sits in its original box alongside a 12" RGB monitor. This was my main Mac until I got my tangerine iBook G3 (the first Mac I bought for myself) in August 2000. The iBook still gets occasional use.

Since then I have bought a few other new Macs, including an iMac G4 (still use), iBook G4 (which now belongs to my cousin), black MacBook (still use), and MacBook Air (daily driver). All of my computers have their original boxes.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
My first computer was a Trash 80 Model I. It had nothing to do with shaping me into the Mac fanboi I am today, but it had a lot to do with shaping me into a Computer Sciencetist and all around tech guru.

I taught myself programming on the Model I my father bought for his business when I was 11. Got a TRS-80 Color Computer a couple years later on which I taught myself machine language and computer hardware architecture (Radio Shack sold the circuit breakouts for their computers). By college I upgraded to the Color Computer 3 which I ran OS/9 on, introducing me to multi-tasking environments and advanced programming.

Yada, yada yada, And now I'm a manager in the aerospace industry and don't know how to do any of that stuff anymore :( But I loves me some gaming :D

tandy-trs-80-model-I.jpg

Vege-Taco

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2010
Arizona
My first computer was a brand new Commodore VIC-20, complete with a matching tape drive. It was a Christmas present (1980 I think). The monitor was an old B&W television.

640px-CBMVIC20P8.jpg

480px-Commodore_1530_Datasette_VIC-20.jpg

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
My family's first computer was a Macintosh LC. I loved that machine growing up. We bought it to replace a word processing typewriter, and I used to love playing Prince of Persia, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and loads of other games on it. Prodigy was our first internet provider before we moved to AOL. Despite it's relatively low power, that Mac lasted us ages. We bought the 333MHz iMac in 1999, but my mom hated the blueberry colour, because it didn't match anything in the house. She was hoping it would be a deeper shade of blue instead of the teal it turned out to be. My first computer was a Titanium PowerBook G4 1GHz, which I bought for college. I got a lot of use out of that as well. Now, I'm on a retina MacBook Pro after having gone through two 13" MBPs in 2009 and 2011. I miss the underdog status of yesteryear, but I'm happy Apple survived. It's operating system (despite its flaws over the years) has always seemed less clinical than Windows - ever since Mac OS 7.1, my first Mac OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.