Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Just one of the many reasons why cloud storage is a bad bad idea.

Other reasons:
- Security
- Lack of connectivity everywhere
- Internet provider problems (lagging, busy, cant connect, etc.)
- content access based on a company rather than yourself

Yet so many people think cloud computing is the future, if it is we're in for a horrible future.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
This is a good example of why Apple's cloud computing beats Google's. Can't connect to iCloud - at least your computer still works and you can get at your apps + documents.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
Another reason why you still need onboard storage. You can't always depend on having the 'cloud' being up for you or the connection to get to it.

teamrusnac

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2012
Or-Gone
u know what the best part of all of this is? youll never hear apple acknowledge there is a system wide issue. Theyre gonna get it up and running again, and then act like nothing ever happened.

My imessages werent going through either and couldnt access discussion boards.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
My .me account is acting strange, iMessages is working fine on my 4S, and I am listening to iTunes match though things have been up and down the last hour.

5thSymphony

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
No problem from Montreal, QC

56580165.png

onepremiere

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
This is why I prefer to have everything stored locally on my device and end up getting the highest capacity I can. A huge drawback of cloud computing is that someone else has to maintain your access.
I wonder how many people had a critical file they couldn't access in iCloud today? Good for managing contacts and calendars but not reliable enough for anything else.

This.

It's astonishing that this isn't common sense. Promotes laziness because of its convience, and when it fails, we piss and moan. I've lived by the virtue that if you want something done right/your way, do it yourself. Quality and reliablity are quickly becoming a thing of the past.

I've always backed up locally. Cloud computing is just a perk, and if it fails, no harm no foul.

mrbell1984

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2011
I had loss of full service, every idevice I owned was down and only just come back up. Could not log into anywhere with an Apple ID.

Service appears to have been restored.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
It's astonishing that this isn't common sense. Promotes laziness because of its convience, and when it fails, we piss and moan. I've lived by the virtue that if you want something done right/your way, do it yourself. Quality and reliablity are quickly becoming a thing of the past.

What. How awesome do people think a free service with no SLA is going to be? Who is storing critical files on here? There are vendors out there who are doing cloud based computing/SaaS very very well every day of the week. iCloud != industry leading 99.999% standards

Spooner83

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

A number of MacRumors readers are reporting that iCloud services are currently down, and based on the number of reports it appears that the outage is quite widespread. Apple's iCloud system status page is currently acknowledging access issues, although there is no estimate of the proportion of iCloud users being affected.

Beyond iCloud, Apple's iMessage service also appears to be down, with messages failing to go through as the sending process hangs prior to completion.

Update: Users are also reporting problems with Apple's developer portal and iTunes Store access, although pieces of Apple's online services do appear to be coming back online. We're even hearing that Apple may have experienced Internet issues for its own employees at its Cupertino headquarters.

Article Link: Apple's iCloud and iMessage Services Experiencing Significant Outage

That's nothing, download iOS6 beta and there's so many bugs in it that the Orkin man would quit!

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
At about the exact same time I was having trouble getting Google to load. I thought the sky was falling.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
This.

I've always backed up locally. Cloud computing is just a perk, and if it fails, no harm no foul.

Agree 100%

Trouble is, we have BIG companies that are selling this to the public, and kids of the future that don't worry it'll all be fine.

Again, I think the cloud is great, but only for some handy convenience to make access easier on some limited devices, perhaps when out and about.

But NEVER trust or RELY on it.

I bet Apple and others have lots of legal things you agree to that makes any loss of your data by it's services nothing you can hold them legally accountable for. You lose your data held on their servers due to a fault with their systems and tough luck, you should of kept a backup.

I am sure, at time goes on we will actually find more and more dumb people having their only copy of their data on cloud type systems run my 3rd parties.

And like not locking your doors, or fixing an alarm it's only after they have lost anything will they learn.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil

Other reasons:
- Security

Yet so many people think cloud computing is the future, if it is we're in for a horrible future.

I have my own cloud storage. Basically, I've installed a Debian distro in a virtual machine provider and created a sshfs mapping in my system thanks to MacFuse. Obviously, it's more expensive than a cloud storage plan, but I feel more comfortable having all control over my data, encryption, etc, although it doesn't exempt me from having a local backup.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
iCloud and iMessage suck. They are the most non-apple products/services to date. Buggy, constant issues, not working, etc.

And the fact that you can't change the email address associated with your account is beyond ridiculous.

Totally disagree. I've had no problems with iCloud since it launched, not a one. iMessage has been great on my iPhone. I did get rid of the iMessage beta on my Mac because of bugs, but that's why it's a beta.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Had some issues accessign iCloud.com but now seems resolved.

I am receiving a huge amout of spam today from my .mac address. Related?

hoofbite

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2011

Other reasons:
- Security

Great post, needs to be put at the top of every web page, broadcast on every channel, played on radio and signs made on the streets. Relying on Cloud storage is one of the dumbest ideas ever, there is no good in it.....I hope it doesn't become a worldwide thing.

If hospitals, law offices, the government, corporate and local business, banks, etc. all use cloud storage as their primary storage....then one outage and we are all ****ed.

Stick to local hard drives and paper.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
I had to restore my WIFI iPad a few weeks a go and couldn't because the activation server was down for most of the day.

Anyway, it seems the UK App Store is working ok. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.