Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AR999

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Wow, you would think all the services (icloud, imessage, itunes) would be independent on one another to prevent something like this happening.

Huge ******* up.

quickmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2011
So what? It will be fixed pretty soon anyway. Apple is not a company that would have its services down for days.

Hahaha. Let's hope not. We've all seen how "quickly" Apple responds to security threats on OS X...sometimes weeks before a fix. Of course this outage will be fixed quick...how will people buy Apps and buy Apple items from the iPhone Apple Store App...when the dollar is on the line you're damn right Apple will have it fixed.

Anyways all is up and running here in Philadelphia.

onepremiere

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
this fantasy that stuff built 50 years ago was made better than today, is just a fantasy.

making stuff was more expensive and you had all kinds of repair shops because people fixed their things. today people just buy new. its cheaper and you get a newer product with more/better features

Point taken. Though extremely depressing. Buy, Replace, Replace, Replace.

Apple is doing it right IMO. I've got a G5 Tower for late 2004 that my Dad is still using today. Yeah he only uses it for email and the internet, but the fact that is has not had a single hick-up in almost 8 years? Those are the products I am going to buy. Not going to spend less, and repeat that cycle till you've exceeded the cost of a high quality product.

Fabricman112

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
actually all services are back online here in Sweden again... I guess I was unlucky to hit the 3h downtime or whatever
didnt even get annoyed haha

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Point taken. Though extremely depressing. Buy, Replace, Replace, Replace.

Apple is doing it right IMO. I've got a G5 Tower for late 2004 that my Dad is still using today. Yeah he only uses it for email and the internet, but the fact that is has not had a single hick-up in almost 8 years? Those are the products I am going to buy. Not going to spend less, and repeat that cycle till you've exceeded the cost of a high quality product.

i like apple, but i bought my father in law a $300 toshiba laptop. very well built and will probably last a long time as well. only reason i like MBP's is they are something nice to treat yourself. otherwise they don't do anything more than a cheaper laptop will do, except for gaming

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Nothing like a minor (temporary) service interruption to bring out the Applehaters; conspiracy theorists; neo-Luddites; and cranks.

Being without electricity or water for a couple of days is a problem. Not being able to stream Call Me Maybe from your iCloud account for a couple of hours? Not so much.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Lack of Reliability is the downside of "the cloud". If you can't get your files, your screwed. Mind you, so far, iCloud has been OK.

that's why there's something called file caching

----------

being without electricity or water for a couple of days is a problem. Not being able to stream call me maybe from your icloud account for a couple of hours? Not so much.

:D

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Never noticed anything here. Have been iMessaging, streaming iTunes Match and getting Mail all day long without so much as a hiccup.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Kind of reminds me of the original iphone before there were apps and everything was "Web" based. I couldn't go into a grocery store and check my shopping list because of no coverage in the store.

Welcome to the world of Cloud computing when access to your data is in the hand of someone else and stored somewhere else.

You just know sooner of later it's all going to go pear shaped.

The difference is, when it goes wrong, BOY will it go wrong.

ade2bee

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
well I'm using a galaxy s2 to syc most of my important stuff over dropbox, wunderlist, evernote, whatsapp, skype with my iPad with loads more function as well... no probs

Kenn Marks

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2005
Thank Heavens I Didn't switch from MobileMe - YET

If this is what I have to look forward to in 10 Days, Whoa Is Me. Like others have said in this post I use this every hour of every day and can't afford to have mail as well as all it's other services down for more than a half hour. With a server farm that big they should have redundancy of redundancy both in hardware and with their data pipe sources. THe MobileMe Clock is ticking PLEASE Apple give me the warm fuzzies about making the switch. I bought a new MBA last Monday so my hardware is compatible and I'm moving my web sites and Public folders as I write, so I'm making preparations on my end. How about you Apple!!!:mad:

Wayne s

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
UK
Dont know if this is connected but I have just been charged £4.99 for updating an app. Anybody else had this before. I have reported the problem so I hope its sorted quickly.

I.Love.Apple

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Nothing like a minor (temporary) service interruption to bring out the Applehaters; conspiracy theorists; neo-Luddites; and cranks.

Being without electricity or water for a couple of days is a problem. Not being able to stream Call Me Maybe from your iCloud account for a couple of hours? Not so much.

Are you suggesting that people should wait for a "permanent" interruption? This might take a while :confused:

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Everything Apple has been dead as a doornail for about 2 hours.

Seems to be coming back now - though still slow.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Honestly it really should just remind people how trivial everything we do really is. I guarantee 99.9999% of people don't have files that are at all critical. who's life was in the balance due not getting to iCloud? what company just went out of business because they couldn't access a spreadsheet at that exact moment?

It may be trivial from a life view perspective, but if you've stored something on the cloud that you need for a meeting and can't retrieve it-- then in the short term you are going to be very stressed. It's unlikely a company is going out of business, but what about my individual concerns? They don't matter?

I'm talking about cloud computing in general now--not specifically iCloud. I'm concerned that many device makers are just assuming everyone will work from the cloud and so we are seeing devices with 4GB of capacity.

This makes people not only reliant upon buggy cloud services (as has been demonstrated today) but sometimes forces the person to also rely on capped, expensive data consumption. If you're away from home how does it make sense to spend $20 in data to stream a movie you've already paid for?

Local storage is the most simple and reliable solution. There is a place for cloud services, but it is in addition to and not a replacement of local storage.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
If Apple are to focus the new 'digital hub' as the cloud, It'd be nice if they made it reliable first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.