Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
I need Windows for some basic stuff. I don't use it often but I do need it.

Should I install XP or Windows 7? XP is 32 bit and uses less memory so I am leaning that way.

Any thoughts?

Also, is it possible to install Windows on one Mac and transfer the virtual "disk" to another Mac and have Parallels open it? That will save me from having to do a zillion updates.

Last edited:

xchaotic

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
Get on with the times and get Win7, a lot of the stuff is no longer supported on Win XP

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
But Windows 7 is 64 bit and will use more cores, no? And more memory?

It will only use as many cores as you allocate, but Win7x86 has a 1GB memory requirement while Win7x64 is 2GB. I will be running Win7x64, WinXPx86 and CentOS on my machine (under VMWare) once I get the VMs copied over from the old machine. There are a couple of legacy applications I use that won't run under Win7 so I can't get rid of XP yet.

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
Also, is it possible to install Windows on one Mac and transfer the virtual "disk" to another Mac and have Parallels open it? That will save me from having to do a zillion updates.

Yes. I used to do that all the time when I used parallels (for some work apps I no longer need to use). It worked great.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I use Parallels with XP for basic stuff - Quicken and the occasional program that is not available on OSX. XP takes a lot less disk space. If you don't need all the Win 7 features and your use is basic, stick with XP.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
You can use DOS you want to...

parallels.png

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
10 Perfect.
20 I have an old unopened copy of XP laying around somewhere.
30 I'd rather not buy Windows 7 unless I have to.
40 But in case I do, what's the cheapest Win 7 out there?
50 Thanks.

mitty

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010
Melbourne
I have installed Win 7 on a bootcamp partition, but I think I'm gonna dump it and switch to Parallels instead. I don't do enough in Windows to justify an entire partition.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
I have installed Win 7 on a bootcamp partition, but I think I'm gonna dump it and switch to Parallels instead. I don't do enough in Windows to justify an entire partition.
Wait... does this mean that Bootcamp requires a partition for Windows but Parallels does not?

skuid87

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
How do you install Windows on a MacBook Air? I thought BootCamp required an installation disk? Do you have to use the remote disc feature or is there another way to do it?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
How do you install Windows on a MacBook Air? I thought BootCamp required an installation disk? Do you have to use the remote disc feature or is there another way to do it?

An ISO image and a USB stick.

----------

Wait... does this mean that Bootcamp requires a partition for Windows but Parallels does not?

Correct. You can create a virtual machine which is just a file on your hard drive.

Or you can ask Parallels to run your copy of Windows that's on the Bootcamp partition inside a VM.

I do both, boot native into Windows for maximum performance, and run that same copy of Windows as a VM inside Mac OS X using Parallels for when I'm using regular productivity apps (like Quicken or Word) that are not graphically intensive (like games). This setup gives you the best of both worlds, but you do need to set aside a Bootcamp partition.

If you do not need to boot natively into Windows (that is Windows being the only OS running), then you can just go the VM route and skip Bootcamp.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
But Windows 7 is 64 bit and will use more cores, no? And more memory?

With 8GB on the Air, I'd go with 64-bit. It runs fine with even 1.5GB allocated, and you could give it 4GB if you want and still have 4GB left for OS X.

CanadianMBAir

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
Win 8

If you install windows 7 with an ISO through parallels and then upgrade to windows 8 (for $14 if you fill out this form by Feb 28 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/upgrade-offer - be honest!).. then it doesn't seem to require the Win 7 key (assuming you bought it but can't find it). Just stay away from windows update stuff and adding apps or it will ask you to authenticate with the win 7 key.

bonbmdxman

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
I have an Air with 8gb of ram. I installed Windows 7 64-bit via Parallels and allocated 2gb of ram. It runs windows very well for the windows-only programs I use. In my opinion, the Air runs both OS's very well simultaneously with 8gb of ram.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I had the same concerns when I first got parallels for my Mac. I use windows 7 64bit on a 2009 mbp with 6gb of ram and it runs great. I would definitely use windows 7 over xp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.