Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Chevrolet, possibly the worst cars to grace the British roads.

Do people actually buy these in America?

Chevrolet does some great things in America, in part because the models sold in Europe are not sold here. The Chevrolet Cruze is really a step forward and the crossover market is dominated by Ford and Chevy. Also, for the price, the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 is the fastest car (I believe there's a viper equivalent as well though) you can buy (638 HP, a little over $100,000).

This is all coming from an Audi enthusiast.

Also, they were the first company to use a turbo on their engine.

Last edited:

thuchu1

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2010
Auburn Hills, MI
I have this right now, when my phone is connected to Bluetooth in my car I just push the phone button for voice dial and it activates Siri. This can do everything siri can from that point.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I have this right now, when my phone is connected to Bluetooth in my car I just push the phone button for voice dial and it activates Siri. This can do everything siri can from that point.

You know what, I just tried this on my 2008 A4 with Voice Control on my iPhone 4 and it definitely works for most things I would want to do (place calls and such)

edoates

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2006
Why dont' the car guys just do it right ...

The logical step here is to provide a USB "dock" instead of all the pricey screen oriented navigation sytems cars offer these days. Then plug your iPad, iPhone, Samsung things, Microsoft Surface, etc. in and have the car manufacturer provide apps for various functions. And use Siri and Siri like functions to provide hands free operation. They could also use in-car WIFI and/or Blue Tooth to communicate with the device.

All the functionality of SYNC, or my silly BMW IDrive system can be mimicked using any or all of the above communications links. A car supplied app could even have a local SIRI database so outside web connectivity is not a requirement to function.

With the price of optional Navigation and similar system often being in the thousands, with yearly road map updates, even the most expensive iPad is cheaper. And you can take it with you!

Am I the only one to think of this?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I still don't understand the difference between "Eyes Free" and a simple normal Bluetooth button on the car?

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
This is super-cool news. I'm just curious if there is a cell subscription required since Siri (currently) requires Apple's servers to do anything with Siri. If so, I'm sure they'll do the Sat radio first 30 days free to entice you to subscribe....I likely would.

The car does not include Siri. Instead it is designed to interact with your iPhone via Bluetooth (or possibly USB).

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Damn and I just bought the bentley. Too bad.

----------

what are you trying to say?

He's saying there is no difference except for the words Apple makes up to re-market existing products. What the world has been calling bluetooth for several years Apple is now calling "eyes free"

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Damn and I just bought the bentley. Too bad.

----------

He's saying there is no difference except for the words Apple makes up to re-market existing products. What the world has been calling bluetooth for several years Apple is now calling "eyes free"

Bingo. Sorry for being cryptic about it.

Phoon

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2008
I've got a better idea.

Why not a one-button, Bluetooth version of this? It'd attach to your steering wheel with a simple Velcro strap, and turn any car, regardless of manufacturer, into an "Eyes Free" capable car.

PoissMi

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I have never heard anything about Audi getting Siri. I wonder if this is going to get adapted like Sirius and XM were before the merger.
For example, Chevy is getting Siri (they also had XM), so Ford will probably not (They took Sirius).
BMW Siri, Audi not seems likely to me.

Apple announced that Audi, BMW, GM, Mercedes-Benz, Land Rover, Jaguar, Chrysler, Toyota and Honda will be getting Siri.

2 Replies

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Dumb

For how fast Apple deprecates their own tech, buying a car because it supports SIRI is a insanely stupid reason.
Fire-wire charging support in their own 30-pin connector, GONE.
Ping service (a service that is less than 3 years old), GONE.
Most rumors have it that the iPhone5 will have a smaller port (no longer even 30-pin).. maybe even micro USB.

And since Siri requires apple's servers to be active in order to relay the queries, you're SOL if Apple ever decides the service isn't cost effective for them.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Could have posted a better looking car along side this story...instead of that green mess

Or they could have "Apple'd" the image maybe?

Attachments

• iPodCar.jpg
    iPodCar.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 57

2 Replies

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Why not a one-button, Bluetooth version of this? It'd attach to your steering wheel with a simple Velcro strap, and turn any car, regardless of manufacturer, into an "Eyes Free" capable car.

Or even just have Apple actually use EXISTING tech (rather than reinventing the wheel and calling it "innovation") to Bluetooth hands-free phone control standards, and use the standard call button to activate siri.
Then you don't need a separate unit with tacky Velcro, but instead just use ANY hand-free unit that plays over the speakers (integrated hands-free or third-party). Then you still have hardware that will support other phones if you ever decide to change (instead of having yet another iPhone/iPod accessory).

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Apple announced that Audi, BMW, GM, Mercedes-Benz, Land Rover, Jaguar, Chrysler, Toyota and Honda will be getting Siri.

Yeah I just saw that. Interesting. Does anyone know to what level this integration is? Has that been announced? Does that mean Siri doesn't require an iPhone if you own the car?

----------

For how fast Apple deprecates their own tech, buying a car because it supports SIRI is a insanely stupid reason.
Fire-wire charging support in their own 30-pin connector, GONE.
Ping service (a service that is less than 3 years old), GONE.
Most rumors have it that the iPhone5 will have a smaller port (no longer even 30-pin).. maybe even micro USB.

And since Siri requires apple's servers to be active in order to relay the queries, you're SOL if Apple ever decides the service isn't cost effective for them.

I'm sure Apple will sell you a 30 pin adapter for the next iPhone. Apple has put 1000x as much investment in Siri as it did in Ping. I would expect Apple to abandon OS X before they abandon Siri at this point.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Chevrolet, possibly the worst cars to grace the British roads.

Do people actually buy these in America?
People buy them and they are still a popular car manufacturer.

I bought and still own a 2006 Supercharged SS Cobalt that has been the most reliable chevy that I have ever owned. I've owned Camaros, Cavaliers, Berettas, and three Cobalts in all and out of them, again, the Cobalts were the most reliable.

The Honda I had for the past two years before my newest Honda gave me the most trouble out of any car I have owned.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
You don't need a special Siri button to use Siri in your GM car. My husband has been using Siri on his Tahoe ever since he got his 4S last year using the buttons that are currently on his steering wheel. You just have to set it up

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
GM passed toyota and is now the best selling automobile manufacturer in the world. I'm sure people in the UK buy them as well, the cruze won the european car of the year.

In France, most Chevrolet are re-branded Daewoo, which equals to highly discounted cars with very low perceived quality and resale value.

Not saying it is true but that's how people actually perceive the brand even though they've been doing some heavy advertising about the American way of life, cow-boys and the whole myth.

Hopefully Siri will come to Opel, the real face of GM in Europe !

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
My almost 3 year old Holden Commodore already does this (minus the screen blanking) via the single phone button on the wheel. I thought a lot of cars had it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.