Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk8r1230

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana
Ok thinking of grabbing beats pro for 249. They are real so let's leave that out. Figured I'd reach out to Mac community. I know monster has some serious haters but I'm simply looking for the thoughts on beats pro with a 249 price point. Better? More worth it?

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Ok thinking of grabbing beats pro for 249. They are real so let's leave that out. Figured I'd reach out to Mac community. I know monster has some serious haters but I'm simply looking for the thoughts on beats pro with a 249 price point. Better? More worth it?

you could have cut down so much on the word count...

Personally I think they are overpriced, get them if you want.

musty345

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
United Kingdom
I currently have the Solo HDs and have ha dthe iBeats earphones.

I bought my iBeats earphones from HMV in the airport, and they broke after 2 months of use (left earphone stopped working). I returned these to HMV for a full refund.

I bought my Solo HDs from Currys as well (the were on offer) and got them for £129. The left ear cup started giving out a really tinny/rattly noise when playing songs after 2 months of very light use. I returned them for brand new ones.
I mean, I used earphones when out and about, in the car and on public transport and only used the Solo HDs at home, at my desk.

When my Solo HDs work they are pretty god, but I can almost guarantee that your Pros will break.

I can see the appeal of them, so I'd advise making sure you buy them from a store with an excellent returns policy (HMV/Currys are good in my experience) and I know that Currys would have let me trade them in for a different brand of headphones (of the same price/I would have had to pay the extra if the different headphones cost more).

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Everyone has a different sensitivity to audio frequencies and sound quality so take any recommendations for what they're worth...

I was looking at buying a pair of Beats Pro but after a side-by-side sound comparison, I decided on the Sennheiser HD 428 for $80. I found them to have a better sound overall. The Beats Pro sounded great at the low end, "ok" on the highs, and a bit muddy on the mids. I'm quite pleased with the Sennheiser.

modelbehaviour

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
UK
Just bought some 'beats' from China. £24. They are brilliant, and probably made in the same factory. I just bought them to try out on ear headphones (never had them before) and wanted some that weren't too clumpy, they do the job perfectly. I was planning on buying the real ones after but I don't think I'll bother now!

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I used to sell the beats at Best Buy and after hearing at least 3-5 complaints a day about them I stopped recommended them. So I tried out the Skullcandy aviators and I love them. Much more comfort and the sound is amazing. It handles the mids and highs way better then the beats and they have great bass. Plus they are way more quality made.

danetello

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Seriously not worth it, the sound quality is not good for the price. Most people only really buy them for the looks and not the sound quality

Timshan0876

macrumors member
Just bought some 'beats' from China. £24. They are brilliant, and probably made in the same factory. I just bought them to try out on ear headphones (never had them before) and wanted some that weren't too clumpy, they do the job perfectly. I was planning on buying the real ones after but I don't think I'll bother now!

They are not made in the same factory, because REAL Beats are made in the USA. The Beats in China, I see them every weekend when I go out with some friends. People selling them on the street, a pile of them on a towel on the sidewalk. Yea, those are going to break soon.

qtaran111

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010

The sound of Beats headphones is pretty terrible, especially for the price. If all you want to hear is an absolutely overwhelming headache of bass and nothing else (i.e. muddy mids & highs) go for it.

A friend of mine bought me a pair to replace my ageing Sennheiser's and I sent them back after a couple of days.

If you want a great pair of headphones, go for Sennheiser, Audio Technica or AKG, all of which blow beats away for half the price.

modelbehaviour

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
UK
They are not made in the same factory, because REAL Beats are made in the USA. The Beats in China, I see them every weekend when I go out with some friends. People selling them on the street, a pile of them on a towel on the sidewalk. Yea, those are going to break soon.

Yeah, sure they are. :rolleyes:

I think you'll find you're talking about the cheap $5 ones you can also buy from China - the ones that are literally just plastic earphones with a B on the side without any padding, control talk etc.

I've compared mine side by side with the authentic and could not tell the difference in build or sound quality. I've had other people compare them side by side, not knowing which is which, also not being able to tell the difference.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
The entire beats line is overpriced any way you look at it. If you're after them just for the aesthetics, then get a pair of faked ones-- the faked ones look exactly alike and have near same build quality.

If you're after them for that bloated, bassy sound, there's plenty of headphones out there that do that job for cheaper-- and some even look good as well.

Crossfade V-Moda M80
Sony XB500
M-Audio Q40
Ultrasone HF-580
Beyerdynamic DT770 80Ω
Philips Fidelio L1
Denon D1100

To name a few decently portable bassy cans with decent looks.

If you're after a different sound signature I can recommend some other headphones that would fit your preferences as well.

As for 'real' beats products being made in USA, how much of a tool can you be? They're an American company but they outsource their production just like the majority of other companies including Apple. There's nothing wrong with being made in China, though. In fact, some of the most reputable audiophile grade headphones are made in China and even based in China.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Seriously not worth it, the sound quality is not good for the price. Most people only really buy them for the looks and not the sound quality

Gotta my agree I can't tell you how many complaints I got over them in the year I sold them. Plus I used to have a pair I got as a promo and in less then a week they broke and all I did was wear them around my neck and some times use them and they were stored in the case in a drawer with nothing on top when not in use. And forget about trying to claim on any warranty they gave me such a runaround but they were free so I said to hell with it and tossed them. Don't even get me started on the sound quality or lack there of. If it were me for the money I would go with scullcandy or if you need noise canceling Bose just my two cents.......

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
That depends on your budget. For under 100usd, the Grado sr80 is probably your best bet. Grados color the sound in such a way that they're perceived as really detailed and fast. They have forward mids and highs and some decent mid-bass but they roll-off on sub-bass.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Just bought some 'beats' from China. £24. They are brilliant, and probably made in the same factory.

Do your really think that any brand supplier will work with a factory that produces also fakes of their products? It simply does not happen. I am pretty sure that some of their products will be made in China though. Sennheiser has production in China too and only the high end ones are made in Germany.

Dre's do look special, no question about that, but for the sound I use Sennheiser.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
internet-memes-oh-nice-phones-bro.jpg

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Where the ASUS Essense STX and Sennheizer 598's at? :cool:

to be completely blunt, I dont know anything abot these..... I know all about beats as 70% of my students have them and think they're the best sound quality that is possibly out of anything ever.

They've clearly never come across funktion 1 speakers.:cool:

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
to be completely blunt, I dont know anything abot these..... I know all about beats as 70% of my students have them and think they're the best sound quality that is possibly out of anything ever.

They've clearly never come across funktion 1 speakers.:cool:

Poor mans Audiophile equipment. The ASUS Essense STX meets or even outperforms DAC/AMP/Sound Cards that cost several times more. The Sennheizers are just a good entry level set of cans.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Poor mans Audiophile equipment. The ASUS Essense STX meets or even outperforms DAC/AMP/Sound Cards that cost several times more. The Sennheizers are just a good entry level set of cans.

I only use cans for a bit of dj-ing tbf.... all about in ear headphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.