Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
To all the folks who can't imagine how they would use a database:

Do you have boxes in the attic? What's in them? Wouldn't it be nice to have a list somewhere?

Do you work out? Where do you keep your records? Wouldn't it be nice to have them in one place?

Do you have pets? Where do you keep track of health, weight, veterinary visits, vaccinations?

Do you have projects? Where do you keep track of them?

Want more? See the template list at http://solutions.filemaker.com/database-templates/index_home.jsp

I've used every version since it was released. It's an important part of my auxiliary brain.

I guess I can see that, if you wanted everything in one place. If it's me, I track my workouts on Cyclemeter, I track all my stuff with MyStuff2, I keep my documents in the cloud for the most part, and use Evernote for notes and web finds.

I don't manage projects or anything like that, so perhaps it'd be better for that. For my life though, a couple dedicated apps that do these things really well seems better. I guess I'm not the demographic.

Heyref

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
I've never understood what Bento is for, despite having asked this question many times here and on other tech forums.

Delicious Library is better for media collection, Excel suffices for spreadsheet-like functionality and Contacts already manages, well, contacts...so in the end Bento is close to irrelevant, to be quite frank.

Bento is a flat-file database. You can use a spreadsheet program as such, and most people do for simple things. However, there are advantages to a database program. Usually, they allow ease of field formatting, default entries, templates for entering zip codes SSI numbers, phone numbers etc. Something that is not such a big deal now, but was certainly an issue in the 100MB hard drive days is file size. Flat-file databases generally have much smaller data file sizes than the same data stored in a spreadsheet format. Another advantage is the ability to view each individual record as a form rather than a line in a table.

You mention using Delicious Library for media. That's a database that only stores data on one subject. Think of Bento and other flat-file databases as the more versatile version of that program.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Not nice that they force current paid users to pay again.

I'm pretty sure your boss thinks the same about you when he hands you your monthly paycheck. After all, he's already paid you last month, hasn't he?

But I'm with you. I think Apple should also send me the new iMac model free of charge. I mean, I bought a computer once from them. Why should I pay again for what they call an upgrade?

:rolleyes:

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I've currently got Bento for iPad & iPhone and iMac. Among other things, I have my insurance information on it including all serial numbers, costs, etc. synced across all three platforms.

My question is will I be able to use the libraries I have currently on the iPad? I read in Macworld that the first time you sync your iPad with your Mac, it deletes everything on your iPad instead of transferring it?? Anybody know if that is the case?

rwu2359

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
FileMaker

Bento 4 for iPad on a deal for 2.99

FileMaker Go on the iPad FREE.
As a FM developer of many years it is time for some of you to revisit the product. Part of iWorks? I think not, which iWorks users want to connect to corporate SQL or Oracle databases? Which iWorks uses are interested in data or process modelling?

Not unlike the video or image editing software market, just because you have the tools is only the FIRST step to creating something wonderful, there is a LOT you can do to screw up your data, so having a fully scripted, yet easy to use proper database product which can also create custom business data apps for mobile devices which the user gets for free. Oh and it can be shared in real time with the whole company. Try doing that with aspreadsheet.

Re-cycled, old points of view not really that valuable in the end.. One test is worth a thousand opinions.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Bento is a flat-file database. You can use a spreadsheet program as such, and most people do for simple things. However, there are advantages to a database program. Usually, they allow ease of field formatting, default entries, templates for entering zip codes SSI numbers, phone numbers etc. Something that is not such a big deal now, but was certainly an issue in the 100MB hard drive days is file size. Flat-file databases generally have much smaller data file sizes than the same data stored in a spreadsheet format. Another advantage is the ability to view each individual record as a form rather than a line in a table.

You mention using Delicious Library for media. That's a database that only stores data on one subject. Think of Bento and other flat-file databases as the more versatile version of that program.

You can't even scan media as you do with Delicious Library, so how can you compare both? Still absolutely unclear to me...or in other words, irrelevant.

Bottom line: Bento is a solution in search of a problem.

pgyanke

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
Bento 4 for iPad on a deal for 2.99

FileMaker Go on the iPad FREE.
As a FM developer of many years it is time for some of you to revisit the product.

Basic functionality still missing in Filemaker... will not sync with Apple Address Book. Will require multiple entry points.

Dionte

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Detroit
It will be nice if they incorporate iCloud into these programs so that they automatically sync the information across your devices and computer.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Interesting piece of software, never used it. What are the most typical use cases? Where it fits the best?

Really?

Looks beautiful. I really wish I could think of a use for it.

Unbelievable!

I'll third that one. I have always been intrigued by this software, and at the same time, I have no idea how I'd use it. I don't know how it stays profitable. Is there anything it does better than separate apps? I'd seriously like to know.

You own nothing you need to keep up with for insurance purposes?

To all the folks who can't imagine how they would use a database:

Do you have boxes in the attic? What's in them? Wouldn't it be nice to have a list somewhere?

Do you work out? Where do you keep your records? Wouldn't it be nice to have them in one place?

Do you have pets? Where do you keep track of health, weight, veterinary visits, vaccinations?

Do you have projects? Where do you keep track of them?

Want more? See the template list at http://solutions.filemaker.com/database-templates/index_home.jsp

I've used every version since it was released. It's an important part of my auxiliary brain.

My databases consist of all my computer and related equipment, photographic equipment, electronics, other household property, U.S. Savings Bonds, names-addresses-DOB-phone numbers of all our extended family, four auto repair DBs and our DVD collection. All of mine are on AppleWorks, so I wonder how much of a problem it might be to transfer that data to Bento.

I have much need for a database system that works!

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
In this new incarnation, they made the interface pretty... but took away the ability to sync with the Address Book.

I've been pondering this, and I have to wonder if it isn't related to the whole hubbub about apps accessing address book data. Isn't Apple placing tighter controls on what apps can do with address book access? Couldn't that be the reason behind the removal of this integration?

Adore their software, but that story makes the management (at least the v1/v2 days management) seem like Captain Hooks in suits.

As someone who lived through it, having started using Bento when it was in beta, then bought v1, contributed extensively to testing, submitted many bugs, was told that fixes for those bugs would be coming in an update, then the update wasn't v1.1 but v2, for which we had to pay full price, yeah. I remain unimpressed by the customer centric (or lack there of) viewpoint in the management of FileMaker.

Can you print/ email information or export with this version? Or is everything still locked in?

One of the VERY often wished for features, for a long time now, that is, alas, still missing...

You can't even scan media as you do with Delicious Library, so how can you compare both? Still absolutely unclear to me...or in other words, irrelevant.

Bottom line: Bento is a solution in search of a problem.

From you perspective, perhaps. But for people who need a true, flexible database app, the problem is there and Bento might just be a solution to it.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
It will be nice if they incorporate iCloud into these programs so that they automatically sync the information across your devices and computer.

For a company wholly owned by Apple with products that used to pass across Steve Jobs' desk for approval you'd think they'd use the good toys in their programs.

It needs:

iCloud sync
Barcode scanning/item recognition/field auto-complete from barcode (damn I wish Delicious Library was still on the iOS platform)
Integration into the Share Sheets functionality so that items can be added into Bento databases from anywhere in the iOS (10.8 or iOS 6).

Really, it should be a part of the iWork suite to round out the apps.

mrmember

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2008
I just started using Bento for iPad 4 and am admittedly a beginner. But it wouldn't import my Address Book. So is this normal? Why do they have a Contacts Library?

Also, it's only got about 25 templates and many of those are much the same. It advertises that you can get lots of 'shared' templates but that's not true. With version 4, it won't import any templates that were made in version 3 and under.

It won't print out? Oh no.

wallys

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
help with exporting a template

i have created a template using Bento for Mac (latest version 4.1.2). I export the template including the records and save to my desktop. I then emailed that to myself so i can open it on my iPad using Bento 4 for iPad. I am able to open the email attachment to Bento and it opens beautifully. I have also emailed the same template to a friend who also has Bento 4 for iPad but when trying to Open with..... Bento is not an option!!! Can anyone suggest why? I am desperate for help here. many thanks :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.