Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnifferUK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
My iPhone 4 is at the latest iOS version. Ever since I started using it in December I've found out that at the same time every day(midnight) when connected to wifi it will use a considerable amount of 3G. I only recently found this out last month when I went over my monthly allowance.

I can only surmise that iCloud is somehow using the mobile data connection to backup when I've locked my phone, plugged it into the wall to charge and am asleep.

Is there another rational explanation?

My wife has the same phone and does the same thing as I do at night but her phone doesn't use any 3G data when backing up.

Having checked my mobile bill for the last few months it is at exactly midnight that the phone starts using 3G data.....every night, without fail!!

It's driving me crazy trying to figure out what's going on so any help gratefully received.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
There can be many causes. The midnight time stamp is a red herring. That may just be when your carrier decided to total up your usage over the past x number of hours.

Start with the iPhone cellular data usage counter. Does it roughly match the carrier's count? How do those numbers look? Is Sent greater than Received on the phone?

The phone WILL switch to 3G when in sleep mode, when not connected to power. So in the hours before midnight, if you're streaming music (for example) and the phone goes to sleep, that streaming switches to 3G.

Just some things to get you started. It can take a little time, and some detective work, to catch excessive data usage. But it can be done.

brench72

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
mobile data vodafone iphone 4

just got iphone 4 vodafone, 1st tried to connect through wifi from my Bthome hub, asked for code, done that but said wrong password, thou its right 1 that is on the router?

2nd my mobile data, what should it all have, wonder if thats needs changing,
i changed info on my old 3g when i had giffgaff sim, but now im on vodafone

any help be great thx :cool:

GauravBR

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
@brench72: You should try changing the password removing these special characters and then enter the same password in your iPhone. I should say, it definitely should be solved.

If not, try bringing another device and that to connect with your wifi.

You can also check your iPhone whether it works with your friend's wifi device or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.