Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Maybe they were all wasted at the balagio?

I am sure Quick is thinking

"Henrik you can have that vezina. I will hold onto my Conn Smythe, My cup and my ring."
and yes the awards stunk

I think it was at the Wynn, but they could all be wasted there instead. :p

I did not watch one millisecond of the show. Once I heard "Nickelback" was performing, I knew I would rather bash my head against the wall instead of tuning in.

What is your dream trade and what is one that is realistic ?

That's a hard question, but I'll give it a shot.

Dream trade: giving them Komisarek and his contract, a decent draft pick and a so-so draft pick or two.

Realistic: giving them Komisarek and his contract :)p), one young guy (Gardiner? Kadri? Colbourne? Ashton? Reimer? Scrivens?), and a decent draft pick.

----------

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=53192

HHOF candidates-
lets throw sakic and Shanny and off that list-both will get in right away no question.

The only others i can see getting in this year would be burns and housely.

For sure Burns (the HHOF should be ashamed of themselves that he isn't in already:rolleyes:), but I don't think Housley is a lock ahead of some of the other names.

I can't believe Sundin was only on 2 all star teams. :eek:

I hope Andreychuk gets in....I have his Leafs sweater!

If I had to choose one more from that list, it would be......I don't even know. Every time I decide on someone, I change my mind!:p

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
How the hell did Karlsson win the Norris? That's crazy. It's best DEFENSEman. He barely plays on the penalty kill. Weber probably should have won.

Glad Patrice Bergeron finally got his Selke. He deserves it.

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
How the hell did Karlsson win the Norris? That's crazy. It's best DEFENSEman. He barely plays on the penalty kill. Weber probably should have won.

Glad Patrice Bergeron finally got his Selke. He deserves it.

Agreed. They should have waited until he rounded out his game before nominating him for this.

Weber was robbed. I didn't think Chara had a real chance. The guy had some serious turnovers this year while putting in a lot of ice time. Like the nomination but 3rd was probably right.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
They should not give Crosby $90M/10 years and should re-sign Staal. Should incentivize Crosby's deal as much as possible because amazing as he is, if he's gone in a few years, that deal can cripple the franchise. If Vokoun bounces back at all from last year, he'll be a solid back up for Fleury. Johnson was no good except for punching people.

Just read this tweet from Bob MacKenzie:

Breaking news: Hearing Jordan Staal turned down 10-yr mega offer from PIT. Has indicated to PIT he doesn't plan on signing extension now.

Screen Shot 2012-06-21 at 2.31.57 PM.png

Perhaps he wants to go somewhere else.....let's say Carolina to play with his brother.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
and I am once again proven why I know nothing about hockey-

I predicted a quiet draft and we got the opposite in one trade

Hey, I thought it would be pretty quiet too because of the CBA stuff. Shrug

They were talking about the Sharks on HockeyCentral @ Noon today. They said that the Sharks have never made a profit in all the years they've been there. I couldn't believe it- that's a long time to keep taking a loss!

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
Hey, I thought it would be pretty quiet too because of the CBA stuff. Shrug

They were talking about the Sharks on HockeyCentral @ Noon today. They said that the Sharks have never made a profit in all the years they've been there. I couldn't believe it- that's a long time to keep taking a loss!

Can you share a link?
I really don't see how that is possible.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Can you share a link?
I really don't see how that is possible.

Here is the direct link to today's podcast:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/fan590_hockeycentral

They start talking about it at around 33:30. They're talking about the cap, and how it's projected to go up to around $70 million. Spector mentions that the Sharks said they lost $15 million last season, and Marek says that he was told today that the Sharks have never made money in all the years that they've been in SJ.

If you can't jump ahead to the right moment in your browser, go to iTunes and do a search for "Hockey Central @ Noon", and it's June 22nd's podcast.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
Here is the direct link to today's podcast:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/fan590_hockeycentral

They start talking about it at around 33:30. They're talking about the cap, and how it's projected to go up to around $70 million. Spector mentions that the Sharks said they lost $15 million last season, and Marek says that he was told today that the Sharks have never made money in all the years that they've been in SJ.

If you can't jump ahead to the right moment in your browser, go to iTunes and do a search for "Hockey Central @ Noon", and it's June 22nd's podcast.

the 15 mill this past year i can confirm-that was revealed.

But I really dont believe we have been losing money since day 1

its just not possible.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
the 15 mill this past year i can confirm-that was revealed.

But I really dont believe we have been losing money since day 1

its just not possible.

I don't know if to believe it or not, but these guys have good reputations. They aren't the type to just say anything or make something up.

With the NHL, anything is possible.:eek:

atticus27

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
It was nice to see the pens get some players and a high draft pick for staal. It looked like he was gonna play out the final year of his contract and go after big money anyways. I'm surprised they traded away michalek he's a great D-man. They cleared up 15 mill in cap space Shero's gonna likely go after a big name free agent

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
I don't know if to believe it or not, but these guys have good reputations. They aren't the type to just say anything or make something up.

With the NHL, anything is possible.:eek:

I know they are 100% reputable-I just dont see how the team is doing it.

With it being draft weekend, I wanted to share a semi hockey related story and video I found while browsing tonight

http://www.buffalo.com/sports/blog/a-rumble-of-hope/

If this kid makes it to the NHL, I want him on my team. He is the definition of a warrior and if he can beat cancer, he will be driven to succeed at levels that few can.

I wish him the best and hope to see him up on a stage very soon.

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
Surely-

are these two moves just isolated trades or prep for Luongo?

I really hope Luongo does NOT come to Toronto. I love him as a goalie, but he will not be able to handle the pressure in Toronto. He couldn't handle it in Vancouver, and it's far more extreme in Toronto. Then again, he could come and prove himself as a number 1 goaltender in the league again... You never know. With that being said, I see him going to Tampa Bay. They have an amazing team, no pressure, and they're a solid goaltender away from a cup.

If he comes to Toronto, they will make the playoffs, but I can't see him as the guy to bring the leafs a cup.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Surely-

are these two moves just isolated trades or prep for Luongo?

They look like prep to me. I just don't see how Burke will fill our need for a veteran goaltender with anyone else. We can't start the season with Reimer alone (duh), and Scrivens needs another year in the AHL. Looking at the list of available UFA goalies, there really isn't anyone who can step in and take the lead in Toronto. Harding isn't proven yet, and Burke can't go with a risky choice. Clemmensen? Turco? Hasek?!?! They all seem like stop-gap fillers.

However, I've been at the beach all day and haven't had a chance to read/listen to anything to get a feel for what the analysts think. But as I said, they feel like prep to me.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Just had to post about this. Tommy Wingels of the San Hose Sharks will be marching with my team in the Chicago Pride parade tomorrow. He is originally from the area and is part of the You Can Play project launched by Brian Burke of the Maple Leafs and his son, Patrick. Tommy was a close friend of Brendan Burke, Brian's gay son who died in a car accident. You Can Play aims to end homophobia in hockey and other sports, as was Brendan's vision. Very happy and privileged to be marching with Tommy tomorrow.

Surely, your team has a lot to be proud of.

Here's Tommy's video for the project:

http://youcanplayproject.org/videos/entry/you-can-play-tommy-wingels

Sorry if this is too political, but this is what some of the guys are doing in their off season. Just thought I'd share. I've had the honor of working with many guys in the NHL on various projects- whether it's getting coached by them, doing charity work or things like this. This is just more to add to the list.

Hockey players are the best people in the world.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.