Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
That's pretty amazing, but I'm not surprised that Apple does not natively allow that resolution, I think it'll hinder the overall experience.. 2880X1800 will most likely make it difficult to read on such a small screen..

Still, great for those who want that resolution..

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
You can change your resolution down to 1440x900 on your MBP if you want, or even smaller to make it easier on your eyes. There should be no reason to regret the HD option.

Sure there is—doing that on his display will look MUCH worse than the scaling options available on the MBPR, where everything looks great no matter which mode you pick.

superpalmtree

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
North Dakota
I have the MBP-Retina and am honestly not impressed at all. It almost seems like a toy compare to a Mac Pro / iMac....I can't explain it. I have the Base model with 16GB ram upgrade. Since I can't return it I'm going to sell it on eBay or something.

The 2880x1800 resolution is extremely tiny and I am HUGE fan of high high high resolutions...the thing is it's tiny and not crystal clear so it's really rather disappointing.

And on Retina mode so many things are blurry and Safari seems to hang often, just the whole thing does not seem polished, this entire laptop. I'll stick with my loaded iMac until the new Mac Pro or new iMac, for my mobility I can do most things on my phone or iPad.

b0fh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Who would want to do that? Even the 1920x1200 is super small.

Obviously the world revolves around you. Wait, don't tell me you're also one of those people who have all their windows maximized right? :rolleyes:

For people like me, with good eyesight, I can now have more windows open, each scaled to display enough information for me to work on. :apple:

Last edited by a moderator:

SSDGUY

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2009
Must be a gimmick

It doesn't appear to have any higher resolution than my display. ;)

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
With this software can you still use the drop down resolution change feature?

Screen Shot 2012-06-21 at 3.27.57 PM.jpg

If so, it would be super handy when using applications like Gimp, or other legacy photo / video applications that are not retna aware.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
I have the MBP-Retina and am honestly not impressed at all. It almost seems like a toy compare to a Mac Pro / iMac....I can't explain it. I have the Base model with 16GB ram upgrade. Since I can't return it I'm going to sell it on eBay or something.

Interesting, like so many other things these days. Take car interiors. The plastic wood performs better and is better finished than real wood interiors, but still there's something preferable about real wood.

Still, I can't wait for mine to rMBP arrive.

superpalmtree

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
North Dakota
Obviously the world revolves around you. Wait, don't tell me you're also one of those people who have all their windows maximized right? :rolleyes:

For people like me, with good eyesight, I can now have more windows open, each scaled to display enough information for me to work on. :apple:

Before you act like you would get so much work done try out the 2880x1800 on this Macbook Pro. I love the highest res you can get and this one sucks IMO. Just try it out before you start running your mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:

So Random

macrumors member
May 29, 2012

The 2880x1800 resolution is extremely tiny and I am HUGE fan of high high high resolutions...the thing is it's tiny and not crystal clear so it's really rather disappointing.

And on Retina mode so many things are blurry and Safari seems to hang often, just the whole thing does not seem polished, this entire laptop. I'll stick with my loaded iMac until the new Mac Pro or new iMac, for my mobility I can do most things on my phone or iPad.

Why not wait for Mountain Lion? Use that with your Retina MBP.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
I am amazed someone would actually want to do this. Neat trick, of course, but I cannot see how productivity could remain worthwhile once on-screen elements had been shrunk to such a small level. And with all the fantastic window management features in OS X I can't imagine the need for that kind of real estate on a 15" screen...

b0fh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Before you act like you would get so much work done try out the 2880x1800 on this Macbook Pro. I love the highest res you can get and this one sucks IMO. Just try it out before you start running your mouth.

Can't. :(

Mine's a special order. Gotta wait 3-4 weeks :mad:

16GB/2.7Ghz/768GB :D:D :p

And normally hooked up to a Thunderbolt display at work :cool: ;)

But I do use the max resolution on my 1920x1200 15" Lenovos.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
So are Macrumors advocating sitting 3 inches from your laptop screen now? What a way to screw your eyesight up.

superpalmtree

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
North Dakota
Anyone who edits photos.

:confused:i'm sure you would edit photos on 2880x1800 on a 15" screen. For one it looks like %$#% and you would not see any detail. Some people just think cause it's 2880x1800 it's some superior thing.....well IT's NOT. This laptop does not impress me at all.

----------

Can't. :(

Mine's a special order. Gotta wait 3-4 weeks :mad:

16GB/2.7Ghz/768GB :D:D :p

And normally hooked up to a Thunderbolt display at work :cool: ;)

But I do use the max resolution on my 1920x1200 15" Lenovos.

You are just like me, I love 1920 on a 15", but when you get your Retina mbp and bump to 2880 you will see what I mean. I love high resolution so I wish it wasn't the case but you will see for yourself soon enough.

Sensation

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
I have the 1440p Dell screen and sometimes I have to zoom in certain sites. But boy do games on my sli 680 look good on it :D

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Nice to have the eyes for that, but I will stick with detail over desktop real estate.

That what big 27 inch monitors are for, Apple please bring back 30 inch, please.

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
And now that my friends were almost convincing me that my tongue-typing skills were useless!

Anyone got a shiny new RMBP for me to practice on? :D

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
:confused:i'm sure you would edit photos on 2880x1800 on a 15" screen. For one it looks like %$#% and you would not see any detail. Some people just think cause it's 2880x1800 it's some superior thing.....well IT's NOT. This laptop does not impress me at all.

Wait. What? :confused:

This post makes no sense at all. Of course you can see more detail when you have 4x the pixels. That's the whole point of a high PPI display.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I am quite happy with my 17" Sandy Bridge MB Pro at 1920x1200. Curiously though, people sometimes look at me funny when I take out this monstrosity of a laptop. At least that's what they call the size.

Interestingly enough, the default resolution chosen for me is Best for built-in display in ML. Of course I can manually change it if I choose scaled resolution, but at least Lion gave me all options to choose from by default. Not a big deal since I never use a lower resolution anyways.

I really, really hope that Apple comes out with a retina 17 in the future. A screen like that would be awesome for those of us who don't mind the extra heft. And it would give the best of both worlds: sharpness and real-estate!

Imagine it: a 17 that weighs a hair less than the current non-retina 15. I'm salivating.. But alas, I'm holding on only to hope, with my early Feb 17 until it dies..

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
So are Macrumors advocating sitting 3 inches from your laptop screen now? What a way to screw your eyesight up.

No medical reason you would damage your eyes by sitting close, eyes strain yes damage not. :rolleyes: I asked my optometrist about this some time ago, he said old age is killing my eyes not the monitor. ROFL.

I could see how dorky looking someone would look that close to a monitor. Plus it defeats the purpose of the added pixels for quality. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.