Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
It seems to me that if you adjusted your font size and icon size this would be quite usable.
Not really. If you scale just the fonts and icons, then your UI elements, bitmaps and any app-generated content measured in pixels will not be scaled. It will be hard to click on typical-sized objects, and UI layouts may also get messed up. (Go change the system font size on Windows to something large and see how many apps end up with their layouts mangled.)

The Retina mode, if it works the way Apple has been describing, does this right. The UI elements are scaled, and (I assume) legacy apps that do pixel-based drawings with the pre-retina APIs will get their output scaled to keep the proportions and layout correct.

I assume that apps using non-pixel-based APIs (e.g. vector graphics, and rendering bitmaps with embedded dpi information) will immediately benefit. You won't see a pixel-doubled 1440x900 but instead same-(physical)-size objects with more sharpness and clarity. (Assuming the source bitmaps have the resolution in them, of course.) And I assume (but could be wrong) there will be some new APIs to allow retina-aware apps to directly access the native resolution using pixel-based APIs, for those apps that require it.

Apple has been steering application developers away from pixel-based graphics for a long time. The introduction of retina displays on the iPhone and iPad have (hopefully) gotten them comfortable with the concept that using one on a Mac won't be a deal-breaker.
Seeing that this is possible I could never be content running at a setting that fits less on screen.
Once the typical font size and UI elements get too small to comfortably read/click, adding more pixels without scaling detracts from the user experience. You and I may disagree about what is "too small", but I hope we can agree that there is a limit here.

I don't think (for instance) that anybody would want to use (for example) this resolution on a 9" display without some degree of scaling.

Taking the discussion to external displays, I'd love to use 2880x1800 on a 24" display without any scaling - at that size, the UI elements will be big enough for me to comfortably use them. But I have coworkers who would hate it - they are currently running 24" displays at 1280x800, because they prefer their content to be larger. I'm sure they'd love some retina-like scaling on their displays (that have a native 1920x1200 resolution) if it was available.
Why is everyone obsessed with changing the resolution of the retina mbp? I prefer to see things the correct size...
What does "correct" size mean for a computer display?

Do you mean you want 12 point type to be exactly 1/6" tall, as it is in print? Do you mean you want an image made from a 1200dpi scan to render at 1" per 1200 pixels regardless of the display's native resolution?

This is exactly what the retina tech is supposed to deliver. Instead of rendering text and images at arbitrary sizes (e.g. assuming 1 pixel per point, or rendering bitmaps at one pixel per image pixel), these elements all have real-world sizes, which the system software will use to automatically determine an appropriate scaling factor when they are rendered.

Now, some people may want their UI elements to all be rendered at 1/4 scale on a retina display. That's fine. I'm hoping that some future version of the system software will offer a tuning utility where you can simply set a comfortable scale factor, and always leave the display's "resolution" fixed at its native res. People will be able to get the size they want, and the system will be able to use all the available pixels to render the output as sharp as possible.

LeGacY X

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2008
VA, USA
For those of us with excellent vision, this is a huge desktop space extender! The more and more I hear about the rMBP the more I want one! :D

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
It's very similar to setting the resolution in Windows to 2880x1800 and then font scaling by 150%. In essence that's what Apple is doing, the resolution is ALWAYS at 2880x1800 and you get to choose different font scaling options (the default one being 200% which gives you 1440x900).
It's actually better than that. Merely scaling up the font sizes (as you could do in Windows for a long time) tends to mangle the UI of most apps, because developers have historically used pixel-based measurements for UI layout.

Fortunately, Cocoa has always had an alternative to this. Using "springs" in Interface Builder, you can position objects relative to other objects and let the OS determine the exact position. So when objects grow/shrink in response to changes in font size (or content, as when internationalizing a UI), the layout doesn't get mangled.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
It's actually better than that. Merely scaling up the font sizes (as you could do in Windows for a long time) tends to mangle the UI of most apps, because developers have historically used pixel-based measurements for UI layout.

Fortunately, Cocoa has always had an alternative to this. Using "springs" in Interface Builder, you can position objects relative to other objects and let the OS determine the exact position. So when objects grow/shrink in response to changes in font size (or content, as when internationalizing a UI), the layout doesn't get mangled.

Indeed, just like in windoze some apps looks fabulous scaled and others look, well, not so fabulous. Outlook is great, but Lync has some display issues. Hopefully the rise of the rmbp and all the planned high-res windows 8 tablets/laptops will help raise developer awareness and get some traction on this issue.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I have to agree in that case (webpages): actually is the same in the new iPad vs the 'old' one, but webpages look just fine with the images upscaled. But apart from browsers, think about photos: your 10 megapixel photos are going to show at the full resolution of the screen, not at 1440x900 aparent resolution.

Depends if your application is aware of the scaling factor in play or not. Non-retina aware application would upscale your pictures like a web browser would.

dokujaryu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Irvine, California
Didn't Apple mention that in FCPX you could display a 1920x1080 video in the viewer window at a FULL native 1920x1080?

Or is that not available yet and coming in ML?

This is the big deal to me about Retina displays on desktops. Video can be displayed at 1:1 pixel ratio, even if the rest of the UI drawn bigger to be 2x its normal size. So, you can watch 1920x1080p video in a window, in a browser that is still usable at 2880x1800.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
You can change your resolution down to 1440x900 on your MBP if you want, or even smaller to make it easier on your eyes. There should be no reason to regret the HD option.

Non-native resolution ever look good, I tried. That said, I'm probably accustomed to it and would now regret a 1440x900... Never happy, I guess. :-D

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Can anyone post a screenshot please? I would like to see it at full quality.

You can go to this link to see a screen shot of the full size.

http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/screen-shot-2012-06-21-at-1-04-06-pm.png

screen-shot-2012-06-21-at-1-04-06-pm.png

So Random

macrumors member
May 29, 2012
What is "Retina Display"?

http://ipod.about.com/od/ipodiphonehardwareterms/g/retina-display-glossry.htm

Definition:
Retina Display - The name given by Apple to the high-resolution screen technology introduced on the iPhone 4 in June 2010.

Retina Display is designed to smooth the jagged edges of pixels are provide a higher-quality image than previously available on mobile devices. Apple claims that it's resolution is so good that it makes it impossible to distinguish individual pixels. The effects of the display technology are noticeable in many uses, but especially in text, where font edges are curves are substantially smoother than on previous display technologies.

Retina Display's image quality derives from a number of factors:

• A greater density of the pixels that make up the iPhone's screen
  • Higher contrast ratio than previous models for brighter whites and deeper blacks
  • In-Plane Switching (IPS) technology to improve viewing angles
  • Chemically treated glass over the screen and LED backlighting to improve the quality of the image
  • Resolution
  • The Retina Display, as used on the iPhone and iPod touch, offers a resolution of 960 x 640 pixels. Since both devices have 3.5-inch diagonal screens, this means they offer 326 pixels per inch.

It's this resolution--326 pixels per inch--that Apple claims is the same as the human eye. The resolution was achieved on a relatively small screen thanks to pixels that are just 78 micrometers wide, according to Apple.

Now apply this concept to your Retina MBP, and don't worry about the 2880x1800 stuff. Just enjoy the higher-quality viewing experience at the same ####x#### "resolution" that is native to the machine. If you can achieve something that seems even more impressive beyond that, then consider it gravy.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
People are confusing the issue because in the OLD way of doing things, resolution was equivalent to pixels on screen. There is no reason this needs to be the case, and it is particularly not the case for these screens.

OSX resolution set to 1440x900 ---> displays 2880x1800 pixels, reports to applications that the resolution is 1440x900 and will pixel double and scale UI elements as necessary. Retina-aware applications can display content in a given viewport at the "pixel" resolution of 2880x1800. As an example, see the FCP X demo from the keynote. The UI is being rendered at an effective resolution of 1440x900 while the video is using 1920x1080 of the available 2880x1800 to display on screen at the same time as the UI elements. The same is true in Aperture, Preview, etc...

What Apple has done is make it possible for developers to make their content use the entire pixel density natively, while allowing the UI elements, etc... to render at a readable and useable size.

When you set the resolution to any of the "in-between" dimensions like 1920x1200, the display does not change anything other than the UI elements and fonts being rendered at an effective resolution of 1920x1200, and it also reports that resolution to applications. The display is still pushing 2880x1800 pixels! So, any application that is "Retina-aware" will show that 1080p video at the exact same size whether the OSX resolution is 1440x900 or 1920x1200... the only thing that changes dimensions will be the font and UI elements.

This is why Apple explained that applications need to be coded to be "Retina-aware", so that instead of using the reported resolution by OSX for content, they can make use of the 2880x1800 for their content, while maintaining reported resolution for things like alerts, UI elements, text, etc... as they see fit.

It's very similar to setting the resolution in Windows to 2880x1800 and then font scaling by 150%. In essence that's what Apple is doing, the resolution is ALWAYS at 2880x1800 and you get to choose different font scaling options (the default one being 200% which gives you 1440x900).

Now, go to an Apple store and play with it and you'll see... running at 2880x1800 for the UI elements alone is not really necessary.

This.

liam5150

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
Mexico
Depends if your application is aware of the scaling factor in play or not. Non-retina aware application would upscale your pictures like a web browser would.

I agree. But then I think we will see a really quick adaptation of all the applications, just like happened with the iPhone 4. Everybody wanted to be retina ready, so I think it won't be long before we see a massive 'retinification' (if that even exists ha) of Mac applications.

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Some of us have 21+ megapixel DSLR cameras. Photos are in the 5200x4400 (something around there) range. Before you try and stitch a few together to make a panoramic one...

Most programs can scale well. I just hope the Apple TV is at least this high of resolution. :D I like my 1900x1080 37" LCD display, but I'm sure Apple could make a great 37"-51" monitor with a high resolution...

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Lawyers have sued over much, much less. (eg. the recent fine from the Aussie government).

a) Not a lawsuit - a fine.
b) Advertising appeared to indicate the iPad was 4G compatible here in Australia, which it isn't... Far cry from this issue, where the usable resolutions are clearly labelled.

ilyagleikh

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
not true

i went to the store the first day they got them on display, and yes, i was surprised that by default the settings were low... i wasn't sure why, i suppose to make everyone feel like they can read the screen.

however, without any hacks was I able to go to the resolution menu and change it to the full 2880x1800 Resolution.

yes, everything looked much smaller, but crispy and easy to read... certain web pages looked funny at that size.

i might be wrong only if Apple stores installed the 3rd party hack on their demo machines. otherwise - it works just fine. and yes, it's awesome! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.