Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Ok, so I have 5 different categories on my iPhone for pictures. I have a Camera Roll, Photo Stream, Photo Library, Contacts, and Last 12 Months. So Camera Roll is what I have taken with this phone. Photo Stream is what has gone into iCloud? Photo Library is whatever I have taken with the phone and or added to it from another source (like a picture from a text msg or email that I save)? But I don't see recent pictures in my Photo Library :confused: Or is Photo Library a combination of something else? I know Contacts is my pictures for people in my Contacts list. And then Last 12 months is another categorized set of pictures taken within the last 12 months?

I guess I don't understand why there are so many categories. I assume if the same pictures are in more then 1 group, it still counts as one? Or would it count as lets say 3 pictures if the same pic is in 3 categories?

The Last 12 Months option isn't all pictures I've taken. I do like that it separates into Events. Places and Faces, but it's not every picture or video taken that day, so I don't understand what it's purpose is.

I noticed that the Photo Library and Last 12 Months categories don't allow you to delete any photos. How do I delete pictures in these Albums?

If I want to delete certain pics that are on my iPhone, if I delete from one Album, will it delete any duplicates in another Album?

I imported all my pics and I import new ones regularly. So I do have them on my Macbook. I just want a way to better manage what's on my iPhone. It gets confusing when you have all these categories and I have almost a thousand pics in the Photo Library. So I want to get rid of most of them off my iPhone. What's the best way to manage the pics on my phone from each Album without having to go to each album and manually delete the pics?

boomish

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
wow no replies, I have the same so many picture catgories and no real obvious way to control them, half my phone is made up of photo's..
I like photo stream saving them and only need to keep a few..but have no idea how to get rid of them. iTunes really needs updating for this..

quickandsmart

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
How to delete (same issue here too)

How to delete photos from photo stream? It's really confusing to get the idea, I hope once we'v understand the thinking behind then i should be ok. Please is there any one give me some simple step-by-step instruction to delete pictures from photo stream?

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Ok, so I have 5 different categories on my iPhone for pictures. I have a Camera Roll, Photo Stream, Photo Library, Contacts, and Last 12 Months. So Camera Roll is what I have taken with this phone. Photo Stream is what has gone into iCloud? Photo Library is whatever I have taken with the phone and or added to it from another source (like a picture from a text msg or email that I save)? But I don't see recent pictures in my Photo Library :confused: Or is Photo Library a combination of something else? I know Contacts is my pictures for people in my Contacts list. And then Last 12 months is another categorized set of pictures taken within the last 12 months?
OK, for starters Last 12 Months and Contacts are syncing from iTunes. They can be viewed individually or all together in Photo Library. You cannot delete photos synced via iTunes. Just stop syncing what you don't want on the iPhone.

Camera Roll contains photos that were taken with the iPhone's camera.

PhotoStream contains the last 1,000 photos that were uploaded to it--from all devices that are using the same iTunes ID.

Michael

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Thank goodness for this thread! I recently enabled photo stream. I was always iffy about it but the commercial sold me. However now I think it's crap. I went from one photo album to multiple: photo stream, photo library, last 12 months, last import. What a convoluted mess. Why can't it just be photo stream that gets added and shared amongst all devices? I've spent hours trying to figure it out to no avail.

Reactions: xoAnna

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Thank goodness for this thread! I recently enabled photo stream. I was always iffy about it but the commercial sold me. However now I think it's crap. I went from one photo album to multiple: photo stream, photo library, last 12 months, last import. What a convoluted mess. Why can't it just be photo stream that gets added and shared amongst all devices? I've spent hours trying to figure it out to no avail.

Sorry I haven't checked this thread recently.....

IIRC, I think I just went into iTunes and chose not to sync certain folders. In iTunes under photos, I unselected All folders and checked off Selected albums instead. I currently now have 'Camera Roll', 'Photo Stream' and 'Contacts'. Contacts is the only album I can delete from the phone by selecting Edit. But I can also manually delete photos from Camera Roll or Photo Stream.

grumpyguybill

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
California
Row, Row, Row, your boat....

I've noticed that it's a hassle to remove pics from photo stream also. Is it me or is it true that all you can do with photo stream on iCloud is to remove all pics? iPhoto or iTunes or iAnything should give us the ability to remove some of our pics from the cloud.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I've noticed that it's a hassle to remove pics from photo stream also. Is it me or is it true that all you can do with photo stream on iCloud is to remove all pics? iPhoto or iTunes or iAnything should give us the ability to remove some of our pics from the cloud.

Where are you trying to remove pics? On my MacBook you can delete any of the photostream photos, as well as my iphone.

Tuckrat

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2008
New Hampshire, USA

Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS installed on your device. The new version allows you to delete single pictures at time from iCloud. The same goes for iPhoto, the new version of iPhoto allows you to delete single pictures at a time from the cloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.