Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HE15MAN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Florida's Treasure Coast
What does it do when you are sleeping but want the house to stay warm or cool?

It keeps it at the last temperature you leave it at for the night unless you manually schedule it to change.

I have mine like this

At 6:30 am it goes to 81 degrees for the day. This is when I am usually leaving the house. At 4:45 it comes on and goes to 79 degrees so the house is nice and cool when I get home. At 9:30 it goes to 78 for when I am laying down to start to sleep. At 11:300 it goes to 77 to keep the house nice and cool and keep me asleep. And then the cycle starts all over again.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It keeps it at the last temperature you leave it at for the night unless you manually schedule it to change.

I have mine like this

At 6:30 am it goes to 81 degrees for the day. This is when I am usually leaving the house. At 4:45 it comes on and goes to 79 degrees so the house is nice and cool when I get home. At 9:30 it goes to 78 for when I am laying down to start to sleep. At 11:300 it goes to 77 to keep the house nice and cool and keep me asleep. And then the cycle starts all over again.
79 seems hot to me.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Here's how mine are programmed:

SUMMER:
Upstairs (2-ton unit)
Wake up at 76
Leave the house at 85
Come home at 76
Overnight at 78

Downstairs (3-ton unit)
Wake up at 76
Leave the house at 85
Come home at 76
Overnight at 80

WINTER:
Both units
Wake up at 68
Leave the house at 60
Come home at 68
Overnight at 66

HE15MAN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Florida's Treasure Coast
I was gonna chime in and say that myself
Those temps are too high for me
I know it saves energy, but I need it cooler
I'm better around 72º-74º

Where in Georgia are you? How large is your house?

----------

79 seems hot to me.

It probably is, but just trying to save some $. My last power bill was quite high. I think it is due to our upstairs ac unit, the thermostat is off about 4 degrees and I hadnt noticed it.

boogieman

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2004
I take it this will not work with my system but wanted to chime in a see what you guys thought. I have a normal ac with a electric heat pump that when the temp drops so much outside it will go over to using a gas (backup system). I pretty sure this is a dual stage correct and will not work with it?(EDIT) After reading and looking mine is whats called emergency heat. I have a switch that i can move to emergency that will allow it to heat with only the gas. So is this a dual stage heat or is it just aux heat?

Last edited:

DrFillster

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2008
Had mine for 2 weeks

Here's a subjective, less than comprehensive quasi-review.

Have a one-stage A/C downstairs. (Left the upstairs programmable thermostat alone)

Loved it after about 5 days when I took it down to paint behind it (it's smaller than most thermostats). Somehow I fried it and after 90 minutes with the NEST guys I gave up and bought another one. Hooked it right up and it worked. RMA was very easy for the first one.

After 2 weeks it has learned our patterns fairly well. We have already have us save 3 hours of A/C use when we went to a festival in the middle of the day. Normally the house A/C would have been on all day. The auto-away feature really works (and we have two dogs). On our way back, I checked in with the iphone app and turned the A/C back on.

The ability to track my energy usage daily gives me a constant feedback loop to try to save energy where we can.

Will I get a ROI? I dont know yet, but it seems I will. When the kids are back in school, I think we will see the real savings. (and it looks really cool on the wall)

HE15MAN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Florida's Treasure Coast
I take it this will not work with my system but wanted to chime in a see what you guys thought. I have a normal ac with a electric heat pump that when the temp drops so much outside it will go over to using a gas (backup system). I pretty sure this is a dual stage correct and will not work with it?(EDIT) After reading and looking mine is whats called emergency heat. I have a switch that i can move to emergency that will allow it to heat with only the gas. So is this a dual stage heat or is it just aux heat?

You can see if its compatible or not on their webpage but putting in your wire colors.

HE15MAN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Florida's Treasure Coast
I have had mine for around a month and a half now and still dont regret it one bit. My AC bill the first month dropped from $235 to $190 so I am damn happy so far!

The only worry I have is my upstairs unit, when it turns off now it makes quite a loud noise.

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
CNET First Look Purchase

I've had my Nest for a while now. I'll start off with the bad: I'm sure there are other thermostats out there for about half the cost that do 90% of the functionality. Does that make the Nest bad? Absolutely not. My preference is for elegant solutions. A case could be made that's why I own an iPod, Mac, etc. I know I hadn't modified my previous programmable thermostat in over ten years. Sure, I did the occasional "add'l heat" , "add'l cool" or away. I didn't change the M-F and S, S settings.

Here's what I like about the Nest: (1) Looks good on the wall. (2) Intelligent design - things like sensors turn it on when you approach it (3) self charging battery in unit (4) Easy programmability (5) wifi/internet access and app (6) Energy usage (7) Energy usage comparison e-mails, and (8) the feeling there's more to come.

The unit has saved me energy. Seeing my energy usage so plainly has made me adjust temperatures. I had 31 leafs last month (which indicates I'm a top Nest user based on outside temperatures and energy usage!) I'm not one to suffer in uncomfortable temps, and I can say I really haven't noticed a difference. I regularly use the app to switch the unit to "Away" depending on my schedule. For example, on 100 degree days that I know I'm working late and going to the gym, I'd remotely turn the unit to "Away". I turn the unit back to "home" as I leave the gym, making the house comfortable when I arrive back.

I also like the ability to whip out the iPad and check the house temperature. Sometimes I just need to know it will be 78 degrees in 30 minutes. Sometimes I need to adjust matters. Either way, I'm not going to check the thermostat to do it.

I have no doubt the unit will eventually pay for itself. I'm hesitant to say it will be a short payback (or another unit wouldn't be faster.) Then again, I converted to a tankless hot water heater, too. Payback is a lot longer on that, but I would make that decision again in a heartbeat.

As another person wrote: Love mine. Works great. Glad I purchased it. Would do so again.

gtstricky

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2012
The new look is sharp!

I am excited with the new compatibilities. We were looking at a new HVAC system over the summer and most would not work with the NEST but now they will.

inspiritu

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
Can someone who owns it just tell me if you can put the display to sleep (no lights on at all)? I would be putting it in my master bedroom and I don't want any lights while I'm trying to sleep. Thanks.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Very nice to hear the positive feedback on the Nest as I just bought a new house with 2 AC's and I've been putting off buying a Nest.
May be a good thing as they've just announced the newer models.

So you say 2 thermometers talk to each other if they are located in separate rooms? Kind of badass.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
So they managed to fight off that Honeywell lawsuit in the end? Or was there even a lawsuit at all? I can't remember.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Very nice to hear the positive feedback on the Nest as I just bought a new house with 2 AC's and I've been putting off buying a Nest.
May be a good thing as they've just announced the newer models.

So you say 2 thermometers talk to each other if they are located in separate rooms? Kind of badass.

Yes, if you have a multi-zone system with >1 HVAC unit, the Nests will coordinate their actions. Aside from the cosmetic differences, the new Nest seems like it would be easier to install because of the way the connectors are arranged. The new s/w looks nice, too. I like the way that the Nest will now start heating or cooling in advance to reach a desired target temp. by a certain time, for example. (As of last night, my Nest hadn't updated.)

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Can someone who owns it just tell me if you can put the display to sleep (no lights on at all)? I would be putting it in my master bedroom and I don't want any lights while I'm trying to sleep. Thanks.

We just pre-ordered the new one. Been thinking about it since back in the Spring. I wish we would have made the decision before the summer, as the biggest savings seem like they would come from the A/C and AirWave, but we are excited anyway!

I am glad that we held off until the new one came out, as the design of it just looks much more elegant.

To answer the question above, I believe there is a setting on Nest that it won't even turn on when you approach it, you just press Nest and then it lights up. I saw that on a review on YouTube.

It ships a week from this Monday!

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Has anyone received their new one yet? Mine says it ships by October 23rd...I'm so anxious to get it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.