Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
interesting comparison...

What hardware requirements to watch HD 1080i quicktime videos? would be intersting to compare it with the dual G5 requirements on the mac version.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
javiercr said:
What hardware requirements to watch HD 1080i quicktime videos? would be intersting to compare it with the dual G5 requirements on the mac version.

Good question... but for me a more interesting one is what will the new requirements for quicktime be for OS X for intel, and how will it compare to the wintel requirements. But its good that Apple is still developing other stuff.. now lest hope iTunes 5 gets released soon!

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
javiercr said:

I played the BBC Motion Gallery 1080p movie on my P4 3.6 GHz (same as Steve's Mac OS X on Intel-Mac demo? :D ), Radeon X800 XT, 1.5 GB RAM and it was painfully slow: Average about 10 fps.
Mu Dual G5 1.8 GHz, GeForce 6800 Ultra, 2 GB RAM is better at playing the file. Average about 18 fps.

The PC version of QT 7 is still Preview though....

d.perel

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2005
this kinda seems insignificant in comparison to what else was released at wwdc

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
Lollypop said:
now lets hope iTunes 5 gets released soon!

Seriously, I'm scratching my head at this one. iLife 5 came out in January and all of the apps were marketed as "5." And didn't Steve-o say lately that the podcasting feature would be in iTunes 4.9?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
d.perel said:
this kinda seems insignificant in comparison to what else was released at wwdc

Well, QT 7 for Windows is available.... (eh, Preview that is).

Makes one wonder: will QuickTime 8 be x86 only....? :rolleyes:

PZF7M9

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2005
London, UK
WebObjects Now FREE!

Here's something that I haven't seen pointed out anywhere else:

"With this release, WebObjects is now part of the Xcode 2.1 Developer Tools distribution."

This comes directly from the Release Notes!

It used to be, I believe, $799 for a single development and single deployment license. Now, the development tools are included in Tiger (Xcode 2.1) and the Deployment tools are in Tiger Server.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
MacsRgr8 said:
It doesn't make me wonder. I expect Quicktime 8 will be support Mac PPC, Mac Intel, and Windows. Why would it be otherwise?

Chris

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
MacsRgr8 said:
Well, QT 7 for Windows is available.... (eh, Preview that is).

No dude. I know Apple likes to encourage their users to upgrade thier hardware, but they wouldn't dare do something that bold when they will still be selling PowerPC hardware into 2007. When Leapord comes out, PowerPC will just be seeing its last phase-out, and Apple wouldn't dare piss off people who had just bought brand new computers 2 months before by saying "sorry, this version of quicktime is for our brand-new platform only".

Too big of an install base on PowerPC.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I was being sarcastic.

It will be some getting used to: an x86 version for Mac OS X, an x86 version for Windows, and a PPC version for Mac OS X.
One can assume that the PPC and x86 versions for Mac OS X will be in one package to make it as easy as possible for the users. Will be interesting.

:)

lizard79

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2005
centauratlas said:
I guess that means we probably won't see a Powerbook G5 *this* (or any other) Tuesday!

well - and still waiting for the new iBooks..... :/

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
ClarkeB said:
Do people with Windows even use widescreen monitors?

Video cards can support wide screen. There are wide screen laptops. There are widescreen LCD displays, so yes.

Widescreen isn't restricted to Apple, you know.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
I normally wouldn't care about quicktime on windows, but it actually let me watch the wwdc keynote at a decent quality (my powerbook couldn't handle the stream).

Hickman

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
MacsRgr8 said:
I played the BBC Motion Gallery 1080p movie on my P4 3.6 GHz (same as Steve's Mac OS X on Intel-Mac demo? :D ), Radeon X800 XT, 1.5 GB RAM and it was painfully slow: Average about 10 fps.
Mu Dual G5 1.8 GHz, GeForce 6800 Ultra, 2 GB RAM is better at playing the file. Average about 18 fps.

Its actually cool having my powerbooks 10 fps NOT being trapled over by a decent PC.

I expect QT 8 will come in a windows version and a full fat binary for PPC and Intel.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
Xcode 2.1 up take good so far...

Just wanted to note it looks like developers are grabbing up Xcode relatively quickly and trying to build universal binaries (ones that run on MacPPC and MacIntel). Also Apple has lots of MacIntel systems going at WWDC for developers to test their applications on (the announcement explains why they changed WWDC this year to be more hands on).

I expect a relatively large number of applications to be built in universal binary format and tested on MacIntel by the end of WWDC... I also expect an announcement from Apple touting this fact.

As a final note developers can start to ship universal binaries now to their customers. They will work on existing MacPPC / Mac OS X 10.4.1 systems just fine and then magically work on MacIntel systems when end users start to get them.

So end users encourage the developers of the software that you use to get cracking and start releasing universal binaries ASAP to make this transition smooth.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
ClarkeB said:
Do people with Windows even use widescreen monitors?

I did before I returned my 20" Dell. Now I'm simply waiting for the 24"er to fall under $900. I know 3 others who have widescreen as well. Nothing in this world hurts more then having a 17" none widescreen display then going 20" WS and then going back. Its....painful. :(

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
MacsRgr8 said:

Yah was going to say that. The beta really feels rough around the edges but I wanted it for WWDC's video. I think everyone who is freaking out over the intel switch really needs to see Steve's reasoning. Its legit IMHO. Only 20% RDF.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
I take it the Xcode update's available now? (I'm at work at the moment).

Looking forward to clicking that magical 'Intel' checkbox and making a few fat (phat? *grin*) binaries this evening.

I'm guessing that any Intel incompatibilities will show up at compile-time? In which case, that's pretty cool. We can start compiling our software for both platforms today, ready for a machine that won't be released for another year.

That's sweet. Very much so. I'm gradually feeling more and more positive towards the Intel switch. The vast number of Xcode-written shareware and freeware apps that add so much to the Mac software ecosystem may well be ready for the new machines come their release date.

Booga

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2002
shawnce said:
Just wanted to note it looks like developers are grabbing up Xcode relatively quickly and trying to build universal binaries (ones that run on MacPPC and MacIntel).

I grabbed it last night, and even without the PPC/Intel cross-compiler, they cleaned up XCode in some nice ways in 2.1. Configuration management, one of the most frustrating things about XCode, has been reorganized. Also, a lot of little tweaks were made to make people more comfortable in the environment who are used to other environments. It's got a LONG way to go, but is definitely a major step forward in usability.

If the jump from 2.0 to 2.1 is any indication, XCode will become a top-tier development environment soon, on par with what's available on other platforms.

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
MacsRgr8 said:

that's really intersting, thanks
1080i should need less power than 1080p so it may be almost ok on the MacPentium :eek: when it comes out :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.