Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I won't Wii U (Me). The amount of absolutely awful games released for the Wii with absolutely no quality control from Nintendos side, coupled with the majority of the games having wiggle controls for absolutely no reason that just lowered the enjoyment of playing, and how awful Nintendo blew the online side of the Wii, made my decision.

I would like to play more Zelda, but I don't think it is worth it...

They have stated a gazillion times that it was just a tech demo.

Well if you base your decision on whether to buy it based on your experiences with the Wii then that will be your loss. As for quality control both Sony and MS are just as guilty of that. In Nintendo's case it was a result of the popularity of the console. In terms of the control system when it was done right it was worth playing that was and for the most part the quality AAA games used it very well so I don't see why you would criticise it.

In the case of the online structure Nintendo has started to rectify it with the Wii and the 3DS. From everything they have done or said so far regards the 3DS and Wii U moving forward I believe they will rectify their mistakes and learn for what Sony and MS have done right.

I believe they will finally acknowledge the hardcore gamers as well as the casual gamers. I believe the Wii U will be everything the Wii should have been and wasn't and seriously give Sony and MS a run for their money.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
^ True. I know dozens of people who picked up the Wii and Wii Sports and played it over xmas one year - only to gather dust the remaining. These are not gamers - but folks normally not interested in gaming. But whilst Nintendo sold them on Wii Sports and maybe Wii Fit, they didn't purchase any follow up software and after the initial usage the Wii became much like a Sandwich Toaster.

See, I know this is the case with a lot of people on that there internet, but the Wii attach rates weren't that bad. http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2010/05/15/ps3_game_attach_rate_closes_in_on_xbox_360_s
Out of the 3 they were last, but the gap between 2nd and 3rd was closer than the gap from the 2nd to 1st.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Well if you base your decision on whether to buy it based on your experiences with the Wii then that will be your loss.
My experience with the Wii tells me that Nintendo had no idea what they were doing and I don't expect them to see and rectify all those flaws right away.

In Nintendo's case it was a result of the popularity of the console.
And their lack of any form of quality control other than "Buy our cheap Dev system".

In terms of the control system when it was done right it was worth playing that was and for the most part the quality AAA games used it very well so I don't see why you would criticise it.
I still see motion controls as a gimmick. I don't think it added anything to the games, except Wii Sports, in which the games literally were gimmick games. Of all the games I have for my Wii, it gets tiresome quickly, is in many cases not logical, and strains my wrists in awful ways.

I vastly prefer my N64 controller (Apart from having to replace it every 6 months due to wear down), over the Wii controller(s). And I don't see the Wii U tablet as being any more comfortable to hold - Especially when it isn't shaped to my hands, and the thumb sticks are so small.

In the case of the online structure Nintendo has started to rectify it with the Wii.
Erh, no.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
I'm really looking forward to the WiiU; it's not like new home consoles get released every year, so this at least makes E3 a little more exciting.

I certainly think the console has a lot of potential with the touch-screen controller, I just hope it gets used as creatively as possible. I can't wait to see Aliens: Colonial Marines running with the motion sensor on the Upad screen. I'd like to see what Rockstar could add to a WiiU version of GTA V, considering how well the touch screen was used in Chinatown Wars.

However, this is also going to be the generation of Skylanders style 'iToys' as the Upad has an NFC chip in it. The new Rayman game has already been revealed as having compatible toys that give you energy or unlock a Rabbids level. Expect a whole lot more of this over the next few years.

I'm hoping Nintendo implement some media player features on the system though. I'd like to be able to stream all my video files from a USB HDD plugged into my Time Capsule. At least then I wouldn't have to keep hoping for an :apple:tv 3 jailbreak...

:apple:

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
My experience with the Wii tells me that Nintendo had no idea what they were doing and I don't expect them to see and rectify all those flaws right away.

And their lack of any form of quality control other than "Buy our cheap Dev system".

I still see motion controls as a gimmick. I don't think it added anything to the games, except Wii Sports, in which the games literally were gimmick games. Of all the games I have for my Wii, it gets tiresome quickly, is in many cases not logical, and strains my wrists in awful ways.

I vastly prefer my N64 controller (Apart from having to replace it every 6 months due to wear down), over the Wii controller(s). And I don't see the Wii U tablet as being any more comfortable to hold - Especially when it isn't shaped to my hands, and the thumb sticks are so small.

Erh, no.

In my experience they knew exactly what they were doing which was go after a totally different market. They will rectify this with the Wii U as they have realised its not just the casual market that is important but also the hardcore.

Quality control on the Wii is no better or worse then on the PS3 or Xbox. Thag said at the end of the day they were going after the casual market and not the hardcore so it wasn't imperative to weed out the shovel ware from the AAA games. Unlike hardcore gamers casual gamers are much more forgiving regards quality.

Motion controls aren't a gimmick and have a lot of potential. If used in the right way they can add a lot to the game play. There were a number of games that played a lot better because of them. If it wasn't something you liked then you shouldn't have bought a Wii as no one forced you to.

The N64 controller was poor by controller standards and in fact the best controller released so far is the one for the GameCube. The N64 one was cumbersome, bulky and unweildy.

Regards to online structure ... err .... yes.

At the end of the day the Wii U will carry forward what was good about the Wii and rectify the mistakes to be a true next gen competitor for both casual and hardcore gamers. If you choose not to buy it then it will be your loss as you will miss out on some great gaming experiences.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
They will rectify this with the Wii U as they have realised its not just the casual market that is important but also the hardcore.

The real Nintendo Hardcore maybe, but hardcore gamers in general ? I'm not so sure.

I think if it turns out the Wii U is give or take roughly same hardware wise as what these folks currently own (PS3 / 360) with multi-format games going forward not having a tangible visual fidelity leap above their currently owned systems - then they may just pass on the Wii U altogether.

With certainly 2013 seeing the release of a console from Sony or Microsoft (we know the dev kits are starting to be out there and select developers are tipping away at them) it means that Nintendo may only get 10 months - maybe 12 before the next next gen hit.

And like I say without that real tangible difference in fidelity from Wii U - there is a greater chance the Hardcore will just wait out to the new hardware from the other two.

We will wait and see, but I certainly don't expect Wii U to be as big a seller as the Wii.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I think we will get a much better picture during E3 but I do believe that the Wii U will offer a significantly better graphical performance then the PS3 and Xbox. It will quite possibly support 1080p as standard. Whilst Sony and Microsoft promised it in most cases it was either non-existent or upscaled.

The Wii U also has HDMI out and should support both true HD graphics as well as HD sound. If they get the online structure right and I believe they will then they will offer a better overal experience then their competitors at least until Sony and Microsoft's next consoles come out.

The head start will definitely be an advantage though. What annoys me is when people write it off even before it's launched or we have any solid information on it based on their experiences with the Wii. Nintendo was making consoles long before Sony or Microsoft and I think they deserve more credit and support then a lot of people are willing to give them.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
The Gamecube was absolutely cracking. For me it is the console with the best first party Ninty games.

Been having a lot of cravings for Zelda Windwaker recently, but I have no way of playing it :( Here's hoping the Wii U has backwards compatibility.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I'm definitely buying the Wii U. Just wow at the Pre E-3 conference today!

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Pre E3 conference I assume? :)

It was pretty underwhelming if you ask me.. But nice to see they made a new controller.

Pre* Thanks.

The controller is pretty awesome. For some odd reason, I see them pricing it at $299. $249 would be a steal, IMO. I guess I know what my
Christmas present will be to myself...thats if I get one in time.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Pre E3 conference I assume? :)

It was pretty underwhelming if you ask me.. But nice to see they made a new controller.

It was anything but underwhelming for me. I already had faith in Nintendo and the Wii U and this has only solidified that belief even more. If they come out with a solid line up of games tomorrow and provide even more evidence of how they have learnt from their mistakes to provide an experience for both casual gamers as well as hardcore gamers then I will be completely sold.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Saw Amazon.co.uk have the black listed for Pre-order at £199, so I just put down an order for one.

Other than Rayman & Pikmin 3 the rest are meh! launch titles but no doubt I'll end up picking up Nintendoland and zombieU regardless, just to have some titles.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
I am still not convinced by the WiiU. I get the impression from nintendo that they are more focused on selling games consoles to non-gamers (e.g. overweight middle aged women) which is fair play from a business point of view.

I also fear the WiiU, like the Wii will get the crappy ports and will simply be flooded with ports of popular 360 and PS3 games and as a result there will be a quality control issue with few original 3rd party titles.

But Nintendo are more creative than the others, they have balls. I like balls. I will wait for a year and see if some worthy games emerge that make good use of the WiiU tablet etc

I have only bought the GC and Wii for nintendo games since IMO their games are different to those offered on the PC etc.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
I am not going to be getting the Wii U either. Like everyone here is saying, the games are just not worth it. We buy one like every month, play some of it, then it never gets picked up again.

The funny thing is that the Gamecube games get played more on the Wii than the actual Wii games at our house. :rolleyes:

That's the way it is for my house, too. I am totally devoted to Nintendo for anything Metroid, and love most of the Mario stuff. But truthfully, I've only replayed Corruption (Love the game, HATE the controls!) once. I've played through Prime at least 20 times. I don't play Metroid, I experience it. But the 'shooter' controls of Corruption just don't work for me. Please, don't even mention the Other M . . . that just never happened.

Not looking forward to the Wii U in any way.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
After playing one and some of the big games (New Mario, Pikmin, Assassins Creed 3), I'm definitely getting one.

I'll probably get all my multiplatform games on it too until the PS4 is out, everything I saw was in 1080p, which you'd expect anyways.

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
I'll probably get a WiiU at some point, it won't be at launch though. I really love Nintendo, but I took a break from them this generation. I bought a Wii on launch day, played Twilight Princess and a couple other things, but got rid of it pretty early on.

I've bought a few Wii games really cheap ( Other M, Crystal Bearers ) over the years though thinking I'd most likely get Nintendo's next system. Definitely picking up The Last Story too ... so I'll probably get a WiiU to play the Wii games I missed out on. lol.

I'm excited about ZombiU and Pikmin 3. It'll be interesting to see what series third parties bring to it.

If they'd announce a new F-Zero, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'll probably get all my multiplatform games on it too until the PS4 is out, everything I saw was in 1080p, which you'd expect anyways.

Really? Did you get confirmation of that or was it a subjective impression.

Eurogamer.net's very own digital foundry's own tech analysis suggests 720p with 30fps in most advanced games, and inconsistent 60fps in basic looking games, even then with lack of AA and such.

Instead, the assets released by Nintendo in particular are notable in how "lo-fi" they are: its own screenshots confirm that some of its most simplistic titles are running at basic 720p resolution with no kind of anti-aliasing whatsoever, just like its demos were a year ago. A closer look at the showcase titles Nintendo debuted at its E3 press conference also shows a puzzling lack of consistency in performance that we wouldn't expect to see in a console based on mature tech less than six months out from release, which we can only explain by the idea that the second screen is imposing more of a drain than we might have otherwise thought.

The company's spiritual successor to pack-in title Wii Sports - Nintendo Land - is an interesting example of this inconsistency. In theory this is "home territory" where Nintendo should revel in what it does best. While the concepts and charm are there, the trademark 60Hz update is inconsistent to say the least in certain areas - puzzling for such a visually sparse title.

To illustrate, here's the first analysis video we've put together. Direct feed is the premium from events like E3, but typical internet footage tops out at 30 frames per second, making analysis on smoother games impossible. Thankfully, HD broadcast footage retains full temporal resolution, and owing to the blanket coverage of the invaluable Spike TV, we can see the full fluidity of titles aspiring to 60Hz - and we can bring them to you on this page too.

What we did have, however, was the glorious Pikmin 3 demonstrated by none other than Miyamoto himself. Oozing charm, the game looks beautiful thanks to a combination of stylish, charming artwork, and wonderful animation both in terms of the characters and the surrounding environments. We also had a small glimpse at some of the more modern post-processing effects Nintendo's artists have been experimenting with, and it was pleasing to see how accomplished the final effect was.

Analysis confirms that Pikmin 3 runs at a fairly solid 30 frames per second, with just the occasional, minor drop in frame-rate when effects work pushes the hardware a little more. This does not tally with a report from the showfloor, where an unnamed rep said it will ship at 60Hz. Composition of the framebuffer once again strongly suggests native 720p resolution with no anti-aliasing, though some of the source material might imply that some kind of rough post-process edge-detect might be in play.

Of all of the Nintendo titles on display, it's Pikmin 3 that had the most modern attributes in terms of what was being rendered on-screen, and the adherence to 30 frames per second once again strongly suggests that the core hardware represents no fundamental leap in capabilities over what current-gen consoles offer. While we should fully expect optimisation efforts in the time before release, it's highly unlikely that ballpark performance will change radically.

The new Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition was the obvious focus for Nintendo at the conference. Rocksteady's classic game has been augmented with a number of Wii U-exclusive features, mostly centred on the use of the tablet when playing with Bruce Wayne's "wonderful toys". But it is important for other reasons too - not least because it's the first chance we've had to assess the performance of Unreal Engine 3 on the new hardware. We've excised a range of direct-feed clips from the Nintendo conference, analysed them and come up with some interesting results.

Unreal Engine 3 titles on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 typically cap at 30 frames per second, dropping v-sync when frame-rate dips under the target. Existing versions of Batman: Arkham City follow the same pattern, though curiously its TriOviz 3D mode is completely unlocked, resulting in frame-rates at anything up to around 45FPS on Xbox 360, and a little lower on PlayStation 3. In normal 2D mode, the 30FPS cap is implemented in order to maintain an overall consistency to the whole experience.

On the Wii U, the entire presentation is v-synced from start to finish, and there's a definite feeling that performance suffers a little as a consequence, with some noticeable judder. However, it is worth checking out the full video of the entire walkthrough for additional context, as there is a rich amount of material often playing simultaneously on the second screen.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I run off how clearly I can see jaggies, or if they have AA I go off distant texture res and text clarity. I found the WiiU's stuff to be leaps ahead of the PS3 and XBOX stuff, but you'd expect that when one is 6 years younger than the rest.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I run off how clearly I can see jaggies, or if they have AA I go off distant texture res and text clarity. I found the WiiU's stuff to be leaps ahead of the PS3 and XBOX stuff, but you'd expect that when one is 6 years younger than the rest.

Coolio :)

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
WiiU information comming out now.

From Engadget:
A basic set (only in white) and premium set (only in black) were revealed, with the darker option adding more storage; 32GB, up from from 8GB on the cheaper bundle. The Premium set (priced at 31,500 yen, or about $405) consists of the console, GamePad, a charging stand, play stand, and yet another stand for the Wii U itself.

From ZeldaInformer.com:
• Wii U U has 2 GB of RAM, not just 1
• The discs will have 25GB of memory, compared to Wii’s 4.7
• Pikmin 3 will NOT be a launch title
• The standalone GamePad will cost ¥13,440 in Japan, which is about $170 in America
• New Super Mario Bros. U and NintendoLand will be the only first-party launch titles
• Both of the above games will be released via retail stores and online immediately for digital download
• Nintendo Newtwork premium offers a 10% discount on all eShop downloads
• NintendoLand will not be packaged with WiiU
• The system will launch on December 8th
• The system will be sold in bundles for 8GB system storage and 32GB system storage
• The 8GB bundle will cost ¥26,250, which is about $340 USD. The 32GB bundle will be ¥31,500, which is just over $400 USD
• The “premium” bundle will include a one-year subscription to Nintendo Network premium

8GB storage space, with downloadable games... o_O

International prices are out later today.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
Rant

Wii U does not impress.

It has no worthy games. Games are what matters. Super Mario Bros is stale, it looks virtually the same as the one for the Wii which was virtually the same as the one for the DS with the same cutsey-cutsey music.

I fear that the WiiU will just end up getting all of the hand-me-downs from the other consoles in addition to bland family games meanwhile the PS3/360 will get the top realses because of fears of the Wii Us market audience.

Zelda, as much as I enjoy it, is becoming stale. Mario Kart, although fun, is just silly now - too many silly power-ups. I can only hope they make an uber F-Zero and keep the master difficultly. Mario Galaxy was epic so there is still hope. Never got interested in Metroid: Other M. Give me a metroid game as detailed as the prime series then I may open my wallet.

I simply see the Wii Us new features going to waste in general.

I think I will be waiting a long time before purchasing this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.