Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Update: It is now available on the BigBoss repo for $2.99.

Thanks! Will purchase it ASAP - will report back.

EDIT: purchased. No incompatibility probs on my iPad 3 with the following tweaks: SwipeShiftCaret, RetinaPad, FullForce, Springtomize 2, Infinidock, User Agent Faker, WebOffline, Tab+, iFile, Safari Upload Enabler, Display Recorder, Quasar, AirBlue Sharing, 3G Unrestrictor, Protube HD, Lyricalizer, DisplayOut, BluTrol, BTStack Mouse (all legal purchases).

Will test the keyboard as soon as I get home. (It's not with me currently.)

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks! Will purchase it ASAP - will report back.

EDIT: purchased. No incompatibility probs on my iPad 3 with the following tweaks: SwipeShiftCaret, RetinaPad, FullForce, Springtomize 2, Infinidock, User Agent Faker, WebOffline, Tab+, iFile, Safari Upload Enabler, Display Recorder, Quasar, AirBlue Sharing, 3G Unrestrictor, Protube HD, Lyricalizer, DisplayOut, BluTrol, BTStack Mouse (all legal purchases).

Will test the keyboard as soon as I get home. (It's not with me currently.)

By default, it's only able to send events like Cmd+Q / Cmd+W to apps (this is REALLY useful). The former is REAL killing, as in OS X. It's able to switch apps (without an on-screen switcher) via Cmd + Alt + left/right (just like the four-finger swipe).

Speaking of app switching and other, so far, gesture-only functionality and Quasar (which has disabled them all), they don't work with Quasar either. For example, Cmd+Q kills the entire SpringBoard, Cmd+W minimizes all apps and Cmd + Alt + left/right doesn't switch between windows. (Too bad...)

The module / add-on programming guide seems to be a bit messed up; nevertheless, I try to find out what it really means and whether it's possible to write keyboard "Insert" macros (highly needed for my Finnish etc. accented character input).

to be continued...

EDIT: unfortunately, system shortcuts (task switching etc.) don't work in Quasar not even if you disable the SpringBoard integration via In App > Addons > Homescreen (the arrow at the right end and removing the checkmark from SpringBoard)

EDIT 2:
As the Safari add-on with all its keyboard goodies (tab switching - hope it's like on the desktop - Cmd-1 etc.) isn't included in the standard distro (and isn't provided as a downloadable package), I now examine how it can be installed. I'll also try adding Javascript calls to keyboard shortcuts to in/decrease text size as is done with Cmd-+ and - in Firefox. (It's missing, as is explained at http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/06/14/beekeyboard/ in the comments section.)

EDIT 3: here's the API: http://iolate.kr/api/beekeyboard/info/ . Well, I think this page should be really cleaned up :) It's really hard to understand its English.

Last edited:

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Can someone make an addon for iCab Mobile? I looked through the directions and realized I'm useless.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I've found out how the Safari module needs to be DL'ed: it's under the name "BeeSafari for BeeKeyboard". However, after installing (and deactivating / activating again, respringing etc. in order to make it work), it doesn't seem to work. (BeeKeyboard is legally purchased.) Did anyone run into the same problem?

----------

Can someone make an addon for iCab Mobile? I looked through the directions and realized I'm useless.

One could contact the dev of iCab to provide for external API calls to, say, create a new tab?

BTW, I think it'd be easier for him (so that Apple doesn't refuse the approval of iCab) if he implemented listening to the local keyboard events (Cmd-F for search etc.) himself. (Now - checked - nothing works.)

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
I've found out how the Safari module needs to be DL'ed: it's under the name "BeeSafari for BeeKeyboard". However, after installing (and deactivating / activating again, respringing etc. in order to make it work), it doesn't seem to work. (BeeKeyboard is legally purchased.) Did anyone run into the same problem?

----------

One could contact the dev of iCab to provide for external API calls to, say, create a new tab?

BTW, I think it'd be easier for him (so that Apple doesn't refuse the approval of iCab) if he implemented listening to the local keyboard events (Cmd-F for search etc.) himself. (Now - checked - nothing works.)

the safari addon works for me.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
the safari addon works for me.

Thanks, I'll try it on another iPad. (iPad 2 5.1.1)

EDIT: after a complete restart, it started working on my iPad 3 (5.1.1) too. Just remember to use Ctrl instead of Cmd!

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
1, unfortunately, it seems it's not possible to use Cmd instead of Ctrl in the Safari plug-in: while you can redefine the keyboard shortcuts in Settings, if you try to supply e.g. Cmd + T for New tab, it'll automatically add a Ctrl.

I'll examine this further as at least this part of the code is public - it's only the actual system callbacks to Safari (libforSafari.a) that have no source.

2, unfortunately, I don't know whether tabs can be selected by their number programmatically. libforSafari.a doesn't have any functions that can be passed a number of a tab to switch to - only prev and next is available. Will try to look into this problem too.

3, will also look into executing JS from these plugins to in/decrease character size (to simulate zoom in/out). While it's certainly possible with standalone UIWebView, I don't know if the same is possible with hacking into Safari itself.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Many thanks for the analysis Menneisyys!

From what I understand the APIs for BT keyboard support are private. So app store apps can't do anything like that.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
1, unfortunately, it seems it's not possible to use Cmd instead of Ctrl in the Safari plug-in: while you can redefine the keyboard shortcuts in Settings, if you try to supply e.g. Cmd + T for New tab, it'll automatically add a Ctrl.

I'll examine this further as at least this part of the code is public - it's only the actual system callbacks to Safari (libforSafari.a) that have no source.

In the update released today, this has been fixed - now, everything is accessible via the Cmd key, as on the Mac.

3, will also look into executing JS from these plugins to in/decrease character size (to simulate zoom in/out). While it's certainly possible with standalone UIWebView, I don't know if the same is possible with hacking into Safari itself.

Today's update also has zooming support. Unfortunately, it only emulates pinching and not real browser zooming (read: character (and image) size increasing while keeping the frame so that the text can reflow), which means it's pretty much useless compared to Scriptlet-based character size in/decreasing usable even in stock Safari.

Unfortunately, no sign of Cmd + number tab switching.

----------

From what I understand the APIs for BT keyboard support are private. So app store apps can't do anything like that.

Thanks, will look into this question too (and will try to come up with a quick text input app allowing for definable macros.)

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
any chance there is a plugin for Splashtop? I'd love to be able to use the standard Command key combinations while connecting to my Mac.

MacHead67

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2012
I had a few questions for the developer and thought I would share the questions and answers:

1. Q: Once I activate the Switcher, how to I navigate through and select a program? A: Not supported yet.

2. Q: In Spotlight, how do I navigate to one of the results and select/launch? A: I will support it by updating add-on.

Comments: For me these both are must-haves. To use the keyboard for app switching, I need it to be able to select the app. As for Spotlight, I'm planning on using it as an app launcher and therefore need the results to be selectable via the keyboard (trying to mimic Quicksilver).

If anyone knows of a method of using the keyboard for app switching (I'm not looking to switch to the last program used as much as I am looking to see "open" apps and select one).

Overall, I think BeeKeyboard is off to a great start and I was pretty pleased that the app author answered my query so fast.

vijayvasa

macrumors member
May 28, 2010
beekeyboard is godsend app for logitech ultrathin

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to let you know my expereince with BeeKeyboard Safari addon and Beekeyboard. This is the best thing for me as it allows me to scroll webpages in safari using arrow keys. And also lot of customisation options are available without even touching the screen on safari keyboard. Absolutely brilliant app for me for 2 pounds, and this whole setup of logitech ultrathin keyboard with this app has become a portable laptop.

My only regret is that I wish it supports these commands on various browsers like atomic or chrome. Or to have some universal keys as well to use outside of safari.

Anyway , for people who are looking for scrolling of webpages using arrows this app is God Send.

VJ

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
any chance there is a plugin for Splashtop? I'd love to be able to use the standard Command key combinations while connecting to my Mac.
I dl'd the BeeSafari addon and have a basic idea how it works.

I want to simply pass-through CMD key combinations to Splashtop when connected to my Mac, since the BT keyboard doesn't pass them through normally when running Splashtop.

Anyone know how to send specific keycodes using Beekeyboard?

sightsome

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2012
So far, I am liking Beekeyboard better than BTstack keyboard (the OG customizable keyboard interface). They *only* downside is that it is not also compatible with a mouse. But I hardly use a mouse anyway. So no real loss there.

The only part that I wish existed is a way to customize the keyboard interface with individual apps.

Do I understand correctly that there is no way to make customizations for individual apps? Or does the webpage that the developer has provided (of which I understand very little) provide the key?

E.g., I would be interested in making inteface customizations for iannotatepdf that would allow for arrow-key scrolling and 'command-C' copying after a highligh or selection of text.

Thanks for your help. BTW, be gentle. It's my first post here. And I am no programmer; not even a novice.

jawess

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2012
I'm sorry I bought this program and I have a question -
Can I swap the COMMAND and ALT/OPTION keys on an external bluetooth keyboard?
For example - ALT/OPTION + C = copy ; COMMAND + C = polish letter Ć
Where to find the file responsible for these changes?
Thank you in advance for your reply and best regards
jawess

0l3gCh4v3z

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2013
Any update where with the In-App mode, you can actually navigate with the "cursor" to the TOP LEFT (back) button to get back up and out of the nested drill-down menu structure? For example, you go into Settings from the Springboard, then you can drill into General, but you cannot escape back up to <SETTINGS at the TOP LEFT!! This is so frustrating!

Main Rant:
Imagine two custom-made BT infotainment pads that can to strap onto a car's steering wheel so the left hand can activate Hands-Free or Siri (á la Eyes Free™), along with multimedia buttons like Skip, Prev, Play/Pause, Mute, and Click; and the right hand can activate a 2-way (the cheapie hardware) or 4-way D-Pad cursor or Shuffle Wheel (next and back for that cool factor) to navigate around, a button to start the GPS app, control Volume Up / Down, activate VoiceOver to read Aloud (need to map triple HOME within Activator to a keyboard shortcut command which is also currently missing), and one or two custom launch buttons that can be configured (or just let users configure any and all of them [and forget what they set them to]). The infotainment pads are then synced via BT to a iPad Mini (or any iOS/Android tablet / phone) and that is mounted on the dashboard (which most people can install on their own -- have to avoid leaving it in the car and attracting unwanted attention for smash & grab like the ol' Benzi boxes). For all the car manufacturers rolling out iDrive, enTune, iMID, SYNC-TOUCH, etc... the only advantage is being able to turn off / fade-out regular radio to allow the "AUX" channel for a synched smart phone's audio to take over the sound system. Regular BT car kits have a FM transmitter which are cheap ($35) or you need to pay Parrot alot more ($200) for the integration and better sound quality. The last optional piece is a portable external wifi HDD (500GB to 1TB Seagate Wireless Plus) so you don't have to be gouged for mSATA memory within the iPad or iPhone ecosystem to boost your tunes library, gps maps, etc. The car industry needs to standardize! Apple needs to capitalize on this and bring the hardware all together and UPGRADE it's bluetooth stack. This can work for both iOS and Android. Bring your Own iPad or Kindle/Nook/Nexus or smartphone to the party and have hands-free voice control (Vlingo/Dragon on Android anyone?), buttons located on the wheel so there is no reaching around, activate GPS, launch the Apps you want to launch with hotkeys (fancier BT car infotainment pad kits will have more buttons to add custom launch apps; not that you couldn't launch apps by voice activation in Siri or with BeeKeyboard and cursor pad/wheel and click). Where is Knight Rider 2000?

Side Rant: One last niggling deficiency is having Activator and BeeKeyboard work together for a Triple Home button press to activate Voice Over since that is only useful when reading emails. The GPS and SMS apps already can read to you.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.