Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Király

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
Glad to hear that Leopard works for you in this way. What do you use virtualized Leopard for?

A handful of PowerPC apps that I still have and occasionally use. Like Appleworks (I love the drawing program), and most importantly, my TWAIN driver for my scanner. Only it supports all of my scanner's features; Intel drivers for it (even the one supplied by the vendor) are severely crippled.

It is my strong recommendation that you purchase the Snow Leopard Install DVD for $29 and avoid any licensing issues that might arise from using a modified machine specific Install DVD (even if it is being virtualized on the same machine).

There are no licensing issues. The Snow Leopard DVD that shipped with my Mac is licensed to be used only with my Mac, which it continues to be, whether in a VM or not. It's still only a single copy running on the original Mac with which it shipped, which is definitely allowed.

I would appreciate it if you would edit your post and remove the link within this thread to the instructions to modify the disk.

Thank you.

I'll do that. There are no licensing issues the way I am using it, but I can see how the instructions could cause people to use grey discs on machines other than those with which they shipped, which is indeed a license violation.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Thank you for your cooperation! I just do not have the time to research the issues raised by your interesting post! And for $29 why bother...

Just curious: these PPC applications need Leopard and will not run in Snow Leopard? Or you were just curious to see if you could install Leopard?

Király

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
With 10.5, I can access my TWAIN driver with Apple's Image Capture, which makes scanning nice and easy. 10.6's Image Capture doesn't support TWAIN scanning, so under 10.6 I must use an app like Graphic Converter to talk to the TWAIN driver. Graphic Converter is a useful program but Image Capture handles high volume scanning much better.

Epson's Intel drivers for my model (1260) are pretty terrible, and VueScan is even worse if you can believe it. Only the original PPC TWAIN driver unlocks the scanner's full feature set.

Another tip: I had trouble with some very old Carbon based PPC apps (Appleworks and my scanner driver) refusing to open after copying them through Parallels' sharing conduit. I learned that zipping the apps, moving them across, and then unzipping them results in working apps.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
OK: Thanks for those tips; I did not realize the difference between Snow Leopard's Image Capture and Leopard's.

I use Lion's Image Capture for my Epson Artisan 810, but admittedly, my scanning needs are primarily document based and not graphics.

Interesting point on saving applications over to the Snow Leopard environment. Since the Shared Folder does not give me access to the Applications folder, I usually use the GO Menu in the Finder and enter the IP (192.168.0.xxx) of my Lion environment and then use File Sharing to move applications over. Maybe that makes a difference...

AisEv

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2010
Sometimes, it's good to walk away and come back another day to try again. Finally, managed to install SL VM on my MBP. Wat went wrong previously? Absolutely no idea. Probably memory issue.

mrmystiq

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2012
Latest Parallels breaks our SL fiesta...

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone else tried the latest Parallels upgrade, Build 7.0.15098
(Revision 770637; June 13, 2012). It won't let me boot into SL, saying that it's not supported. Has anyone tried to do a fresh re-install? Any solutions? Does anyone know where to find the previous update, to be able to downgrade until there is a work-around?

Thanks,
Sasha

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
Hello all,

(Revision 770637; June 13, 2012). It won't let me boot into SL, saying that it's not supported. Has anyone tried to do a fresh re-install? Any solutions? Does anyone know where to find the previous update, to be able to downgrade until there is a work-around?

Thanks,
Sasha

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to hold off on any Parallels update.

Not sure how/where to get an earlier version. As an additional data point, I'm running SL on Parallels Build 7.0.15095 (Revision 768120; June 4, 2012), cut just nine days before the one you have. SL seems to run fine, though I recently noticed that sometimes if I move the mouse cursor out of the VM window while booting SL, I get a kernel panic (in the VM, not the host). Not sure the exact sequence that causes the panic but I have seen it only rarely. I think if if I wait a bit while booting it and don't move the mouse, it boots fine.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
the latest Parallels upgrade, WORKS FOR ME!

Hello all,

Thanks,
Sasha

Sasha:

1. You cannot receive PMs. Turn it back on.

2. I updated to the latest Parallels upgrade, Build 7.0.15098
(Revision 770637; June 13, 2012) and my Snow Leopard partition works fine.

3. I have not yet had the time to create a new SL partition from scratch, to make sure that it will still work, and I will do this later...

Sasha: It sounds like you had a failure to recreate the file ServerVersion.plist. This could happen if you Suspended your Snow Leopard partition without actually shutting it down, or if you otherwise had a crash or other "quit" of Parallels without a full Snow Leopard shut down.

I need more information about what you did between your last successful Snow Leopard experience and now, and then I will post instructions about a fix.

Attachments

• Parallels 7 June 13 update.jpg
    Parallels 7 June 13 update.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:

Evertype

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2012
Lecanvey, Co. Mayo.
Typos

Typo in preliminaries: /Applications/Utitities/ recte Utilities

Typo in Step 1.3: creationation recte creation

Typo in Step 2.7: Harware recte Hardware

Modification to Step 3.2.c.(1): If you do NOT see "the correct default - Plain Text Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)" when you try to Save As, it is probably because, when you pasted in the code, it pasted as Rich Text. You can fix this easily by going to Format > Make Plain Text, after which the UTF-8 option (and .txt option) will be available.

mrmystiq

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2012
Thanks Michael!

Sasha:

1. You cannot receive PMs. Turn it back on.

2. I updated to the latest Parallels upgrade, Build 7.0.15098
(Revision 770637; June 13, 2012) and my Snow Leopard partition works fine.

3. I have not yet had the time to create a new SL partition from scratch, to make sure that it will still work, and I will do this later...

Sasha: It sounds like you had a failure to recreate the file ServerVersion.plist. This could happen if you Suspended your Snow Leopard partition without actually shutting it down, or if you otherwise had a crash or other "quit" of Parallels without a full Snow Leopard shut down.

I need more information about what you did between your last successful Snow Leopard experience and now, and then I will post instructions about a fix.

I believe I turned PMs on, Michael; give it a try.

I am relieved to hear your hypothesis about Suspend usage, since that's exactly what I was using before the update. I imagine I have to boot from a virtual file that you mention in the setup instructions and modify relevant files, but if you can clarify steps to correct this issue, I surely would appreciate it.

Thanks again, Michael, great work!

Sasha

Evertype

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2012
Lecanvey, Co. Mayo.
I installed SL 10.6.3 from generic GM discs in Parallels 7.0.15.098 revision 770637 and it worked fine. I set it up to download the software update (per instructions above) overnight (due to the 1 GB size of the 10.6.8 update) and this morning I found kernel panic on the screen.

Restarting SL in Parallels I get:

An invalid Mac OS version is installed. Mac OS X virtual machines can have only the Mac OS X Server leopard or Mac OS X Server Snow Leopard operating system installed. Other versions of Mac OS are not supported.

Grr! Do I just start again?

(I suspect there was a time-out downloading the software update. Demerits to me for not having duplicated my .pvm file. Re-installing 10.6.3 now.)

EDIT:
I've re-installed, and am now going to update. Software Update offers me the 10.6.8 update, two versions of Airport Utility (5.6.1 and 5.5.3), iLife support, and Remote Desktop Client update. I am UNCHECKING all but the 10.6.8 update, because of its size, to help prevent timeout error. (The others I can get after—of if—I successfully upgrade to 10.6.8.)

By the way, from the GM 10.6.3 I have installed Build 10D575. Is that the same build number one gets when one purchases the SL update from Apple?

EDIT:
All seems to have gone well. I accepted all the software updates except for the Software Installer v. 1.0.

Last edited:

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
OK: Nothing like the satisfaction of getting it done right yourself! Glad to see all is well now and you are able to use your ScanFont software while in Lion.

I still recommend NOT installing the Apple Software Update v1.0

By the way, from the GM 10.6.3 I have installed Build 10D575. Is that the same build number one gets when one purchases the SL update from Apple?

GM - ? Where do you find the Build number?

There are only two Retail Snow Leopard Install DVDs available: one installs 10.6 and the other installs 10.6.3; from installing either, you must use Software Update to obtain the final version 10.6.8.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Troubleshooting "An invalid Mac OS version is installed"

Troubleshooting "An invalid Mac OS version is installed"

Once you have a working Snow Leopard partition, the file ServerVersion.plist is required to be located at /Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices/ when starting Parallels and first booting Snow Leopard.

However, the process com.rectalogic.vmware.plist, created at Step Three #2, removes this file while Snow Leopard is running, so that Software Updates will run properly and File Sharing can be turned on and off. When a Shut Down is effected, this same process recreates this file, so it will again be present for Parallels to find when it again boots Snow Leopard.

Using the Parallels SUSPEND feature and/or if there is anything that ends Parallels without a proper Shut Down (such as a crash of Parallels while Snow Leopard is running) could result in this file NOT being recreated. Since it will be missing when Parallels reboots Snow Leopard, the resulting error message "An invalid Mac OS version is installed" will appear.

Here is how to fix this problem:

1. Go to ~/Documents/Parallels/ and double-click your Mac OS X Snow Leopard.pvm BACKUP file created in Step Four.

2. If you see a Dialog Box similar to "Duplicate MAC addresses detected. Do you want to recreate the MAC address for the virtual machine "Mac OS X Snow Leopard3 (1)" or use the current MAC address anyway?" -- SELECT Create New.

3. You now want to be at the window in Parallels where the backup partition is loaded but NOT yet started. If the backup Snow Leopard partition starts, wait until it fully starts up and then using the Apple Menu, do a Shut Down. See the image below.

4. In the Parallels Virtual Machine menu, go down to Configure... Unlock to allow changes, if necessary and click on the + symbol go down to another Hard Disk. Click on Type: Existing Image File and click on the Location box and when the Open box appears, go to ~/Documents/Parallels/.

5. Find the Mac OS X Snow Leopard.pvm file from the Partition that you want to fix and click on it and click Open. When it opens click on the Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server-0.hdd file (or similarly named) and click Open. Again: when this file opens, click on the Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server-0.hdd file and click Open. Now you should have the box similar to the last image below and click OK. This will result in a Hard Disk 2 added to your Hardware List.

6. Click the red button to close the Hardware box and Click to start your Snow Leopard Partition. When Snow Leopard starts up you will see TWO Macintosh HDs.

7. Inside Snow Leopard, go to /Applications/Utilities/ and launch Terminal in the upper Macintosh HD. Type this command in Terminal:

touch '/ServerVersion.plist'

Quit Terminal

8. Open the upper Macintosh HD and you should see the file ServerVersion.plist. Drag it to the Desktop.

9. In the lower Macintosh HD go to /Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices/ and drag the ServerVersion.plist file from the Desktop to this open folder. When it says that "The item 'ServerVersion.plist' can't be moved because 'CoreServices' can't be modified." Click on Authenticate and enter your Snow Leopard account password. Look inside this folder and confirm that a copy of ServerVersion.plist now exists there.

10. Keep the original copy of ServerVersion.plist on the Desktop for future use. Shut down the Backup Snow Leopard partition from the Apple Menu.

11. Quit Parallels and in the future the Backup Snow Leopard partition will always have both Macintosh HDs available if you must ever boot it up again and copy the ServerVersion.plist file to the lower /Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices/ .

Now if you boot your main Snow Leopard Partition, it should boot up correctly!

YOU MUST AVOID USING THE PARALLELS SUSPEND FEATURE AND ALWAYS MANUALLY DO A FULL SHUT DOWN OF SNOW LEOPARD, ESPECIALLY WHEN SHUTTING DOWN OR RESTARTING YOUR MACINTOSH.

[click on individual images to ENLARGE]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-24 at 8.35.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-24 at 8.35.38 AM.png
    788 KB · Views: 446
  • Screen Shot 2012-06-24 at 8.37.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-24 at 8.37.30 AM.png
    752.7 KB · Views: 432
  • Screen Shot 2012-06-24 at 8.38.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-24 at 8.38.02 AM.png
    779.7 KB · Views: 422
  • Screen Shot 2012-06-24 at 8.38.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-24 at 8.38.21 AM.png
    732.3 KB · Views: 405
  • Screen Shot 2012-06-24 at 8.45.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-24 at 8.45.21 AM.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Do NOT use the Parallels SUSPEND feature

You must avoid using the Parallels SUSPEND feature and always manually do a full shut down of Snow Leopard, especially when shutting down or restarting your Macintosh.

----------

If you want to preserve the current installation DMG of Parallels BEFORE you do an update: once you download the update, but BEFORE you actually install it; in the Finder, in the GO Menu, go to GO TO FOLDER and enter the following:

~/Library/Parallels/Downloads

and Click GO.

Make a copy of the DMG file located there and save it to an alternate location for future use.

If you want to do a downgrade of a version of Parallels 7, be sure to do an UNINSTALL of the current version, before you then do an Install of an earlier version. The UNINSTALL will NOT delete any of your existing pvm files.

Last edited:

jimweber

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
SL won't install

When I get to 8. in step 2, I get a grey window with the Apple logo and a spinning wheel. I suppose that indicates that it is try to load but it never does.

I'm using a Family Pack install disc if that makes any difference.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
When I get to 8. in step 2, I get a grey window with the Apple logo and a spinning wheel. I suppose that indicates that it is try to load but it never does.

I have never used a Family Pack Install DVD but it should not make a difference.

Look at previous posts #45 & 46 and let me know if the image is the same.

Have you tried the Troubleshooting Step #1 and Troubleshooting Step #2 in posts 9 & 23?

Cguy

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2008
I get in trouble with Part 2, Step 8 - where I get the "Invalid Mac OS Version".

The only copy I have of Snow Leopard came with my Mac Pro, it's a White "CPU Drop-in DVD".

Any suggestions?

THanks!

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
I get in trouble with Part 2, Step 8 - where I get the "Invalid Mac OS Version".

The only copy I have of Snow Leopard came with my Mac Pro, it's a White "CPU Drop-in DVD".

Any suggestions?

THanks!

Yes: your copy of Snow Leopard is "machine specific." You need a retail copy of Snow Leopard, that will install on any machine, including virtualization:

Snow Leopard from the Apple Store - $29 with free shipping

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011

RATS! I swear I must have at least a Family Copy of Snow Leopard... I am beginning to think I must never have upgraded the other macs from Leopard...

Thanks though!

If you find your Family Pack copy, let us know if it works. jimweber's post suggests that he had problems. I would not expect any, but I do not have a copy of the Family Pack Snow Leopard to test.

In any event, $29 solves the problem...

gpzjock

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2009
This is very interesting as a work around for my legacy hardware and software support on my MP '08 octo. Would the virtualised SL work with a Nvidia card that only has Lion drivers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.