Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hisheartscry

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
In 1987 I purchased a Commodore Amiga 500. Immediately, I swapped the CPU, adding a faster Moto chip, a faster timing chip and a more powerful fan. Did that make it noisier than stock ? Yes. Is it still as noisy? You're damn skippy it is. It's just as noisy now as it was about 25 years ago. I've learned to live with a bit of noise. BTW - That 2k bug was overrated.

Commodore..wow that's taking me way back...

The noise probably isn't too bad, I am probably just spoiled with the iMacs since they are whisper quite.

- HHC

----------

I am sure I am shooting in the dark, but any idea what might be going on?

All of a sudden, I am getting several of those, "you have to re-boot screens"...you know the one where the screen going grey and tells you to reboot. Trouble with those screens is there is no error given.

Any ideas?

- HHC

Tutor

macrumors 65816
Original poster
... .
[/COLOR]I am sure I am shooting in the dark, but any idea what might be going on?

All of a sudden, I am getting several of those, "you have to re-boot screens"...you know the one where the screen going grey and tells you to reboot. Trouble with those screens is there is no error given.

Any ideas?

- HHC

Never got such a screen. Try reverting to factory speed for a few days. If problems persist it's probably a storage unit problem. If no problem, set to last best non-problematic tweak.

hisheartscry

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
Never got such a screen. Try reverting to factory speed for a few days. If problems persist it's probably a storage unit problem. If no problem, set to last best non-problematic tweak.

Huh...now I am wondering if maybe it is a hardware issue. If you never had such a screen. I have been getting them frequently in the last couple of days. This is the screen I am getting http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3742

Now this is happening in under 3 min after a reboot. I can't do anything on the system.

Thanks,

- HHC

Last edited:

Tutor

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Huh...now I am wondering if maybe it is a hardware issue. If you never had such a screen. I have been getting them frequently in the last couple of days. This is the screen I am getting http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3742

Now this is happening in under 3 min after a reboot. I can't do anything on the system.

Thanks,

- Scott

When bios hands over system to your bootloader, type -s to enter safe mode. I've never gotten that screen on my Hack, but have on my Mac. It wasn't a hardware issue, but a software issue, but I don't recall exactly what caused it, but do remember that I had to reinstall the Mac OS. Maybe that high PCIe frequency scrambled some code.

hisheartscry

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
When bios hands over system to your bootloader, type -s to enter safe mode. I've never gotten that screen on my Hack, but have on my Mac. It wasn't a hardware issue, but a software issue, but I don't recall exactly what caused it, but do remember that I had to reinstall the Mac OS. Maybe that high PCIe frequency scrambled some code.

Finally I was able to see an error on the screen..it is com.apple.driver.appleintelcpupowermanagement kernel panic

I have to act fast when I login, because things panic within 2min.

EDIT: I've decided to complete a fresh install...we'll see what happens.

Thanks Tutor,

- HHC

Last edited:

hisheartscry

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
Finally I was able to see an error on the screen..it is com.apple.driver.appleintelcpupowermanagement kernel panic

I have to act fast when I login, because things panic within 2min.

EDIT: I've decided to complete a fresh install...we'll see what happens.

Thanks Tutor,

- HHC

I have completed the above task and have some positives and negatives.
Attached are some BIOS photos, photos of my drive connections and a photo on my board from the manual
and a link to my board: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3527#sp

The positive:
GB score is 19335
CB:
OPenGL: 49.02
CPU: 11.07

Interestingly, these results were on only 4gb of ram...when I installed the full 24gb, the results remained virtually the same.

The negative:
I have several drives connected but not all are working. Below is a summary:

Blueray drive connected to sata2_0 - works
dvd drive connected to sata2_1 - works

SSD #2 - connected to sata2_3 - NOT WORKING
wd black - connected to sata2_2 - works

wd_1tb - connected to sata2_4 - works
wd_1tb - connected to sata2_5 - works

SSD #1 connected to Gsata3_6 - works
wd_10000rpm to Gsata3_7 - works

This drive was working but before my last install it went AWAL. Now there is no sign of it, I have tried different ports and cables.

Any ideas?

- HHC

Last edited:

Tutor

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Attached are some BIOS photos, photos of my drive connections and a photo on my board from the manual
and a link to my board: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3527#sp

The positive:
GB score is 19335
CB:

Interestingly, these results were on only 4gb of ram...when I installed the full 24gb, the results remained virtually the same.
Great scores.

The negative:
I have several drives connected but not all are working. Below is a summary:... .SSD #2 - connected to sata2_3 - NOT WORKING This drive was working but before my last install it went AWAL. Now there is no sign of it, I have tried different ports and cables. Any idea
- HHC

Does it appears in bios? If so, it may be OSX. If not, see whether it is recognized in Windows. If not, it may be hardware related and you should try it on another system to confirm that it is hardware related if it doesn't appear there. If it's hardware related, I hope that it is still under warranty because you'll need to have it repaired or replaced.

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
Not sure what's the question. The Corsair XMS3 2000MHz ram takes 1.65V.

Sorry, was out of town for a bit and just came back to see your reply. You are correct. I don't know what I was thinking, but like I mentioned before, the only reason why I was a bit apprehensive about getting XMS3 RAM again, for whatever reason it was running hot and Dominator series I've never experienced that, as the heatsinks are pretty high. I probably should have picked up the 2000mhz version instead of the 1600mhz. But since I'm not really great at really understanding how to tweak the RAM I figured I'd leave it at it's stock settings for now.

BTW, did you see the new Dominator Platinum series?

http://www.corsair.com/us/memory-by...annel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmd16gx3m4a2666c10.html

2666MHz ?!?! That's pretty insane, don't you think ?!?! Not that it could fully work on the SR-2, but that's still crazy speed.

Last edited:

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012

The positive:
GB score is 19335
CB:

The negative:
I have several drives connected but not all are working. Below is a summary:

Blueray drive connected to sata2_0 - works
dvd drive connected to sata2_1 - works

SSD #2 - connected to sata2_3 - NOT WORKING
wd black - connected to sata2_2 - works

wd_1tb - connected to sata2_4 - works
wd_1tb - connected to sata2_5 - works

SSD #1 connected to Gsata3_6 - works
wd_10000rpm to Gsata3_7 - works

This drive was working but before my last install it went AWAL. Now there is no sign of it, I have tried different ports and cables.

Any ideas?

- HHC

Hi HHC,

I've been out of town for a few days and wanted to find out how things were going with your SATA connections and if they now work? Let me know,

Also, since you used Kakewalk 4.1.1, did you sign up on the forum site here:

http://www.kakewalk.se/forums/

and post your request for help with your SATA issue? You might want to try that and also try InsanelyMac.com on their forums as well...

later... :cool:

hisheartscry

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
Might be of help to someone

After getting some errors I decided to reinstall Lion, which I did via Kakewalk. This time unlike last time, I then installed Multibeast and pretty much followed this video to a tee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZl1Gv3J7bg

Also, When I did the the above installs I deliberately only had 1 4gb stick of memory in my board. As per Kakewalk instructions. I put the stick of memory in the slot as per my board manual. (This is important)

Since I did the install this way, I have not had any errors at all. Also the Macinstein has been running faster than ever.

However before I did any of the installs I made sure my Bios had these settings, (Thank you Tutor!!!). Here are 10 photos to my current Bios settings:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q559m3dawkjwag3/A0QmyMwIZw

After the above installs and settings change I installed my 24gb of memory. Things were running great. For kicks I decided to run memtest, http://www.memtest.org/. Memtest found an error and I contacted my memory supplier. They recommended I return the memory for a replacement. Currently I am only running 4gb of memory due to the memory issue. I will soon re-install the 24gb when I get the Corsair replacement.

Also in the above dropbox link is my most current Bios worksheet. Once I get my replacement memory I may play in the Bios a bit. However, right now I am happy with the GB score of 19330 and a CB score of 49

Really hope this helps someone,

- HHC

----------

Hi HHC,

I've been out of town for a few days and wanted to find out how things were going with your SATA connections and if they now work? Let me know,

Also, since you used Kakewalk 4.1.1, did you sign up on the forum site here:

http://www.kakewalk.se/forums/

and post your request for help with your SATA issue? You might want to try that and also try InsanelyMac.com on their forums as well...

later... :cool:

Hi SR2MAc,

I haven't sorted that out yet, but can't until I get the replacement ssd from OWC. It's on it's way. Pretty sure I will be all set then.

How are things with you?

- Scott

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
Hi SR2MAc,

I haven't sorted that out yet, but can't until I get the replacement ssd from OWC. It's on it's way. Pretty sure I will be all set then.

How are things with you?

- Scott

Things are ok. I'm waiting on 10.8 to be released as I'm wanting to try that out on another separate SSD for the SR-2 setup. I had someone else who got it to work. So as soon as it's released and I can get it (for $19.99) then I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens. I'll be using myHack 3.1 for the install. Hope it works. I have the other SSD working fine but don't want to install the GTX5XX Enabler Installer as I'm afraid something is going to mess things up with my system. So I'm leaving it alone for now and using my Gigabyte setup for now.

I'm a bit disappointed in the results as I know Tutor has spent an enormous amount of time helping me with this project and it still has issues (mainly with the GPU), so I'm really stuck at this point and don't know what to do. Plus, I have a business that I'm running and need to stay productive. (Side note: Tutor I know you're reading this so I still appreciate all that you've done and your friendship. Plus, I'm still able to get a GBS of 32,500+. So things are still working fine, but not to their max capacity. :) )

The one thing that I'm glad about is that the Gigabyte UD7 setup that you and I have has been real solid with no real issues. So for that I'm grateful. If I get a chance later (after I'm done with the SR-2), I'll work on UC'ing the UD7 setup. But again, I want to make sure that the SR-2 is solid first. I believe it will work soon... :)

Last edited:

hisheartscry

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
Kernal Panic

Hello,

Hope you guys are doing well.
I have 2 Quick questions:

1. I transported my Macinstein from my home to the office. Honestly when I left it was running very very well, with no issues. When I arrived at the office it started immediately with kernel panics....interestly though it was first caught in a boot loop until I unplugged the USB keyboard and mouse.

Any ideas?

2. My second question is about the kernel panic error page...how do I read it? I remember reading something recently about what to look for the in writing...but can't seem to find it again.

Any ideas?

Thanks gentlemen,

- HHC

hisheartscry

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
Hello,

Hope you guys are doing well.
I have 2 Quick questions:

1. I transported my Macinstein from my home to the office. Honestly when I left it was running very very well, with no issues. When I arrived at the office it started immediately with kernel panics....interestly though it was first caught in a boot loop until I unplugged the USB keyboard and mouse.

Any ideas?

2. My second question is about the kernel panic error page...how do I read it? I remember reading something recently about what to look for the in writing...but can't seem to find it again.

Any ideas?

Thanks gentlemen,

- HHC

I guess one more question...how would I boot in safe mode?

Thanks,

- Scott

hisheartscry

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
Immediately after bios turns system over to boot loader type any key to halt boot loader then type -s

Thanks Tutor,

I got it to boot in safe mode but got the attached error screen. As an aside, when I brought the computer to the office I had to travel a very bumpy road. I am checking to see if something came loose.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

- Scott

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    296.8 KB · Views: 109

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
I hate saying this, but I would've kept it where it was. Transporting things on bumpy roads or anything that could've caused a static shock; enough where anything could've caused an issue is an unfortunate situation. That's my best guess. Sorry to hear that happened... :(

hisheartscry

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
I hate saying this, but I would've kept it where it was. Transporting things on bumpy roads or anything that could've caused a static shock; enough where anything could've caused an issue is an unfortunate situation. That's my best guess. Sorry to hear that happened... :(

I agree I shouldn't have moved it...however I did get it working...

Turns out it seems like it was simply a timing of events. Shortly before I moved it I pulled all but 4gb of memory. I changed the memory profile from extreme to standard and it is working again. When I get the replacement memory this week I will bump it back up.

Thanks guys,

- HHC

Tutor

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Per dollar, the < $600 i7-3930k inserted in a $250 MSI X79A-GD45 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard RULES in Windows! How about in Linux or another OS?

Attachments

• c4d_14.12and103.38_6coreCapture.PNG
    c4d_14.12and103.38_6coreCapture.PNG
    135.7 KB · Views: 105
  • WindowsExperienceIndex7.8+Capture.PNG
    WindowsExperienceIndex7.8+Capture.PNG
    51.9 KB · Views: 110
  • GB2Z_27605Capture.PNG
    GB2Z_27605Capture.PNG
    14.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
I remember you mentioning this to me last week, that's fantastic !!! BTW, I PM'd you. If you have a moment (I know you're busy), let me know how things are going, and how hot those 4890 OC GPUs are that you suggested that I just bought and if that's normal, thanks... :) Later...

Tutor

macrumors 65816
Original poster
I remember you mentioning this to me last week, that's fantastic !!! BTW, I PM'd you. If you have a moment (I know you're busy), let me know how things are going, and how hot those 4890 OC GPUs are that you suggested that I just bought and if that's normal, thanks... :) Later...

Yes, they tend to run a little hotter than most of their generation because they're running faster than most of their generation. Mine run in the low to mid 40'c C at idle.

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
Yes, they tend to run a little hotter than most of their generation because they're running faster than most of their generation. Mine run in the low to mid 40'c C at idle.

Interesting, I'm guessing that the PowerColor & HIS 4890's that I tested were only running hot as a result of the initial Apple boot screen as that is the startup install boot stick that I was using to see if at least the Apple screen would show (and it does :) ), since I don't have the OS running on my SR-2 setup right now. I'm sure once the OS is running then they'll cool down to that 40C temp range. Also, I'm realizing something else, that there are TWO HIS 4890 OC GPUs...

First the original Non-OC'd one: HIS H489F1GP Radeon HD 4890 - Core Clock is 850MHz / Effective Memory Clock: 975MHz (3.9Gbps):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161276

Then this one: HIS H489FT1GP Radeon HD 4890 - Core Clock is OC'd to 900MHz / Effective Memory Clock: 1000MHz (4.0Gbps):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161278

and the last one: HIS H489FP1G Radeon HD 4890 Turbo+ - Core Clock is OC'd to 965MHz / Effective Memory Clock: 1050MHz (4.2Gbps):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161298

I thought when I won the eBay bid that there was only one OC'd HIS 4890 and not two. I initially thought that I had the Non-OC'd one and started getting concerned; only to realize (when doing some more research) that I actually have the Turbo+ model. What made it confusing is the Non-OC 4890 GPU has this model #H489F1GP and the Turbo+ 4890 GPU has this model #H489FP1G. They look very similar to each other; except that the numbers and letters at the end are switched up a bit. I tell ya', I'm learning something new all the time... LOL... I'm just excited (and grateful) that I have the right one...

I hope this will be an added plus hopefully once everything is up and running properly. BTW Tutor, which one 4890 OC model do you have?

Tutor

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Interesting, I'm guessing that the PowerColor & HIS 4890's that I tested were only running hot as a result of the initial Apple boot screen as that is the startup install boot stick that I was using to see if at least the Apple screen would show (and it does :) ), since I don't have the OS running on my SR-2 setup right now. I'm sure once the OS is running then they'll cool down to that 40C temp range. Also, I'm realizing something else, that there are TWO HIS 4890 OC GPUs...

First the original Non-OC'd one: HIS H489F1GP Radeon HD 4890 - Core Clock is 850MHz / Effective Memory Clock: 975MHz (3.9Gbps):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161276

Then this one: HIS H489FT1GP Radeon HD 4890 - Core Clock is OC'd to 900MHz / Effective Memory Clock: 1000MHz (4.0Gbps):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161278

and the last one: HIS H489FP1G Radeon HD 4890 Turbo+ - Core Clock is OC'd to 965MHz / Effective Memory Clock: 1050MHz (4.2Gbps):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161298

I thought when I won the eBay bid that there was only one OC'd HIS 4890 and not two. I initially thought that I had the Non-OC'd one and started getting concerned; only to realize (when doing some more research) that I actually have the Turbo+ model. What made it confusing is the Non-OC 4890 GPU has this model #H489F1GP and the Turbo+ 4890 GPU has this model #H489FP1G. They look very similar to each other; except that the numbers and letters at the end are switched up a bit. I tell ya', I'm learning something new all the time... LOL... I'm just excited (and grateful) that I have the right one...

I hope this will be an added plus hopefully once everything is up and running properly. BTW Tutor, which one 4890 OC model do you have?

The T+.

PunkNugget

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
Hi Tutor, you mentioned to me a few weeks ago about i7 3960X that you UC'd as well to GB score of 28,000. If that's the correct CPU, can you let me know the exact setup of PC parts that you used for that build? If that's not the correct 6 core CPU, then can you tell me which one it was that you mentioned as well as the rest of the setup that you have? Thanks... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.