Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pianoplayer1

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2005
New York
I got an 11" i7/128/8GB with a Samsung display and a Toshiba SSD. I'm considering switching it out for a 256 because it is pretty much guaranteed to be a Samsung SSD + I may have underestimated my need for storage space. Now I'm worried that if I pick up an i7/256/8GB in store it may be an LG display.

But the Samsung is possible to get on the 11''.

EDIT: The display is LTH116AT01A04

Last edited:

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Guys, anyone know whether or not this settings change helps an AUO panel? (11" btw)

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I just came hack from a reseller in Seoul where there were all models of Airs on display. I ran the Terminal command and it showed 3 of the 4 Airs having LG panels with the base 11 having the Samsung panel. The only difference I could make out from the was that the Samsung one was a bit brighter at full brightness, and that was about it.

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
I've got a Toshiba SSD and the LG screen, so in effect, the worst of both worlds.

You would think I'm unhappy about that combination, but I'm actually fine.

I'm coming from a 2011 13" MBP which has a better color gamut and the difference is only distinguishable when looking at photos. I'm not a photographer and I mostly use my laptop for browsing/watching videos/office work, and I appreciate the resolution bump very much. In fact, I can't even tell the difference between the screens unless I have them placed next to each other.

Regarding the Toshiba SSD - It's still fast. Obviously the Samsung one is superior in benchmarks, but from my own experience with SSD's it is impossible to tell in real world usage. You could put in the fastest OWC or Vertex SSD into the Air and you still wouldn't notice the difference in application start times. So, unless you're dealing with terabytes of data on a daily basis, I wouldn't fret over the Toshiba drive.

I'm usually obsessive about these kinds of things as well, but in this case, there is nothing to obsess about. Of course it would be more fair if Apple used the same parts throughout, but that isn't the case here.
I don't mind the Toshiba SSD at all.. boot up is all about read speed not write speed. And benchmarks tell the Toshiba and Samsung are more or less the same in read speed.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
I don't mind the Toshiba SSD at all.. boot up is all about read speed not write speed. And benchmarks tell the Toshiba and Samsung are more or less the same in read speed.

older Toshiba models proved to be not very reliable. It was not the memory itself but the controller. Could be different with the new design though.

Fugue

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2011

I agree, it's a trivial difference. That said, I wonder if both SSD's eat the same amount of battery.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
ok so i have an 11" and also just picked up a 13", the 11" has the LG and the 13" has the samsung, and the samsung does look much much better. I am sure it is a combo of having the higher resolution too, but i mean damn..the colors really pop compared to the LG.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
What are the other specs of the 13"? (RAM amount, SSD size)

13" samsung i5/128(toshiba)/4
11" lg i7/256(samsung)/8

I'm going to see which one i like the best. I can easily get by with 4gb of ram. So far i do not notice a single difference in the hard drives...same boot speed and everything else appears the same. The major difference is the display. I mean it is shockingly different. I have tried a bunch of color profiles on the 11", but cannot get it close to the 13" samsung.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
ok so i have an 11" and also just picked up a 13", the 11" has the LG and the 13" has the samsung, and the samsung does look much much better. I am sure it is a combo of having the higher resolution too, but i mean damn..the colors really pop compared to the LG.

Have you given this one a shot: http://osxdaily.com/2011/10/30/how-t...t-look-better/

EDIT: this link appears to now be broken, refer to my post below where I uploaded it as an attachment.

I have it applied to my 2k12 11" LG unit, and am comparing against my 2k10 11" Samsung unit using the default. Out of the box the 2k10 was clearly better to my eyes, but this profile made a dramatic difference and now I'm finding I prefer the picture I'm seeing on LG panel (in comparison the Samsung now looks slightly washed out with a red push).

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Have you given this one a shot: http://osxdaily.com/2011/10/30/how-t...t-look-better/

I have it applied to my 2k12 11" LG unit, and am comparing against my 2k10 11" Samsung unit using the default. Out of the box the 2k10 was clearly better to my eyes, but this profile made a dramatic difference and now I'm finding the LG panel to be better (the Samsung now looks slightly washed out with a red push in comparison).

thank you. I will give it a try.

darthpotato94

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
Does anyone else think that the 11" have the LG and the 13" the Samsung panels? Is it just me? Can someone confirm? I have the 13" with the Samsung screen and a Toshiba SSD.

Zzari

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2012
Seattle, WA
Does anyone else think that the 11" have the LG and the 13" the Samsung panels? Is it just me? Can someone confirm? I have the 13" with the Samsung screen and a Toshiba SSD.

From this thread, all the 11" owners except for one got the LG display. One person went into the stores and checked the four 11" models they had on display and three of them had LG displays. It seems that you're likely to get an LG display with the 11", but you could end up with a Samsung. The 13" seems to be more of a "mixed bag."

I have the LG on my 11", and honestly, using the MacRumors ICC profile I'm finding the screen to be quite pleasurable. I didn't previously own an MBA so I can't comment on the differences since I haven't compared to a Samsung screen, but I'm definitely pleased and don't have any desire or intention of exchanging and taking my chances getting something worse (I have the Samsung SSD right now and my MBA is flawless - don't want to risk getting the Toshiba or one with some other imperfection).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.