Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drew15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
I'm buying a new macbook pro with retina display pretty soon and wondering if I should get apple care with it. It's another $200 and something dollars extra and I heard that apple care doesn't really cover much so is it even worth it?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm buying a new macbook pro with retina display pretty soon and wondering if I should get apple care with it. It's another $200 and something dollars extra and I heard that apple care doesn't really cover much so is it even worth it?
AppleCare
AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display

• You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
  • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
  • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
    It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
  • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
  • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
  • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.

As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.

Pinkbelly

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
Applecare saved my butt several times and I did not hesitate adding it onto my second MBP.

IMO, its worth it.

njean777

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
I got it with the retina since I plan to keep it 3-4 years or until it dies. Plus none of the parts are user replaceable so its a good investment if you plan to actually keep it and not sell it off before the new one drops every year.

cmdrmac

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
IA, USA
I had to use AppleCare once with my current MacBook. About a 1.5 year after purchase, the original hard drive just stopped working. Apple was pretty quick with sending out a box so I could ship it to them and then returning my MacBook with a new hard drive in just under 10 calendar days.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
Given the huge number of issues people experience with their products, yes Applecare is actually a wise investment.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Given the huge number of issues people experience with their products, yes Applecare is actually a wise investment.
There aren't a "huge number of issues". You have to remember that people don't usually come to a forum like this to report that everything is working well. Usually they only post when they need help with a problem. Also, the entire membership of this forum represents a very tiny fraction of Mac users worldwide. You can't draw meaningful conclusions about issues, based solely on posts in a forum.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
I passed on it for mine. 1 year warranty, 1 year extended with Amex coverage....I'll take my chances. What's the worst that can happen?

Most people will tell you that extended warranty coverage like this is a money grab (especially for TVs and other appliances). From what I understand, statistically, most problems happen within the first year anyway.

I had to use AppleCare once with my current MacBook. About a 1.5 year after purchase, the original hard drive just stopped working. Apple was pretty quick with sending out a box so I could ship it to them and then returning my MacBook with a new hard drive in just under 10 calendar days.

See in this case, the hard drive likely cost way less than what Apple Care cost, and replacing a HDD is a simple process. Not worth the two-fiddy IMO, but it depends what you're comfortable doing.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Regardless of what people say, it's completely up to you. If you want peace of mind that if anything goes wrong that's not your fault for 2 extra years, then it's worth it. If you wouldn't mind too much shelling out $400 for a repair in 2 years, then you probably don't have to get it. It's for peace of mind, IMO. I'd say that before the rMBP, the most common failure was the HDD. Since they now have SSD's standard, that probably lessens the chance something goes wrong significantly. However, these are portable machines and anything can go wrong- if the logic board goes out, that's probably $700. It's all a numbers game, and I'd think odds are nothing goes wrong in 3 years. However, if anything does go wrong, you'll be covered.

2 things to think about-

1) Accidental damage is definitely not covered. If you think something will happen that's your fault (if you're clumsy :eek: ) then don't waste your time with Applecare

2) There are warranties via third parties, though I can't think of any off the top of my head, that will cover accidental damage, sometimes theft, manufacture defects, etc., and they might have a similar cost to Applecare. The nice thing about Applecare, however, is that it's through the manufacturer so you don't have to go through any trouble getting something repaired- especially if you live near an Apple Store. Apple, for the most part, is very good of taking care of their customers and usually has speedy turn arounds. You never know when you buy via third party whether they'll have some ridiculous contract clause or how long it'll take to get repaired, if they're Apple certified, if they'll use genuine parts, etc.

Just some things to think about- however, if I were you, I'd probably get Applecare!

cmdrmac

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
IA, USA
See in this case, the hard drive likely cost way less than what Apple Care cost, and replacing a HDD is a simple process. Not worth the two-fiddy IMO, but it depends what you're comfortable doing.

I could have changed the hard drive myself, but I'm not super comfortable messing with my laptop. Having said that, I've had several years now to become more familiarized with my current machine and I wouldn't have any issues swapping parts.

Fact is that at the time, I got an EDU discount on AppleCare and I was able to use it. Sure, it may not be worth it, but for me - at least - it came in handy with minimal headaches...

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Considering Apple uses high quality components in this very well designed model, I'd expect above average reliability.

That said it's important to remember it's statistically impossible to have 100% perfect components & assemblies in _every single _ mass produced, highly complex product. One or more may have a failure.

Once your original warranty has elapsed, should a failure occur, the cost to repair or replace is on you. It's important to remember that failures can occur at any time. Some think the likelihood is greater within the first year, a popular myth that's simply not true.

As long as you're comfortable with taking the risk, you won't need AppleCare.

Personally I never buy extended warranties, with one exception. Every new Mac I buy gets AppleCare. I find it an exceptional value should I need it. In addition I don't mind spending that money knowing it goes to Apple. A company I've relied on for years.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Regardless of what people say, it's completely up to you. If you want peace of mind that if anything goes wrong that's not your fault for 2 extra years, then it's worth it. If you wouldn't mind too much shelling out $400 for a repair in 2 years, then you probably don't have to get it. It's for peace of mind, IMO. I'd say that before the rMBP, the most common failure was the HDD. Since they now have SSD's standard, that probably lessens the chance something goes wrong significantly. However, these are portable machines and anything can go wrong- if the logic board goes out, that's probably $700. It's all a numbers game, and I'd think odds are nothing goes wrong in 3 years. However, if anything does go wrong, you'll be covered.

If you're buying it straight from Apple it's $350 and whatever tax. I wouldn't call that worth it on the chance of spending $400 (tax is 10% here so you'd save $15 if that happens). You should at least be betting against a potentially much more expensive repair. Someone else mentioned 10 calendar days. If it took that long for a hard drive, assuming a replaceable HDD, I'd rather just do it myself. I'd at least buy the Applecare from a place like B+H where it costs something sane.

OCICILIONI

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2011
Orlando, FL
apple care

since the battery is glued into the chassis, I would absolutely buy apple care and purchase the unit with a credit card that offers extended warranty and buyers protection.

There is no way you can change the battery outside of sending it to the manufacturer.

stoplis

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
Apple care is $349, with a Retina MacBook Pro you can't change any parts (easily) yourself. $349 probably wouldn't buy you a replacement SSD drive (256GB on the non-retina model is an extra $400) plus if you need a new battery apple has stated that it would be $200.
I had it on both of the MacBook Pro's I've had. The first one I had to have a new charger, then a new DC power board (pre-magsafe). I was told the new DC power board would have been £400 and a charger was £70, so it worked in my favour then (both happened in the third year). The second one I had had the DVD drive changed twice (in its second and third year), which are about £45 on ebay. A new charger (£70) and a new battery (£70), again they were in the last year of it's applecare. This comes to less than the cost of the applecare, but it was all done quickly and painlessly through apple.

I've ordered my Retina MacBook Pro and I've gone with AppleCare again, because it maybe a gamble, but the potential costs are very high and I can't fault apple on their service.

daleski75

macrumors 68000
Dec 10, 2008
Northampton, UK
Definitely worth paying the extra for it as it could cost a small fortune to fix the rMBP if anything goes wrong with it in the first 3 years.

Small price to pay for peace of mind imho.

cherlj

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2012
Hi all,

I have a question with regards to AppleCare and ordering from the online store.

Here's what happened:

When I ordered the rMBP for the first time, I got AppleCare bundled with it.

However, I decided to change my order (got the 2.3 instead of the 2.6). As such, I had to cancel the current rMBP order. However, the status of the AppleCare was already shown as "Completed", and I have been billed for it.

It's stated in my order history that the AppleCare is "Auto-enroll". Now that I've ordered my second rMBP, will the AppleCare coverage be automatically transferred to this order?

If it is not, is there any way to go about this? (No serial number was given for AppleCare as I did not receive a physical box)

Thanks!

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
As a general rule, extended warranties are poor value. They are an expensive bet against a low risk. The single most likely thing to go wrong with a conventional laptop is the hard drive, which is cheap and easy to replace, and will cost much less than the extended warranty.

With Applecare, things change a little for two reasons. First, you also get helpline coverage for the full three years. This can be useful for even pretty techy owners on occasion. Second, while many companies exclude all kinds of things in the small-print, and will do their best to weasle out of their warranty obligations, Apple has an excellent reputation in regard to warranty issues (yes, there are a small number of counter-examples floating around, but those are very much the exception).

With the Retina, things change even more, because things that would be easy and inexpensive to repair on a conventional machine (eg. battery, SSD) are next to impossible on a rMBP. Thus a pretty trivial failure could render the whole machine a write-off.

Those things considered, I would personally buy Applecare on a rMBP.

As an aside, while I've never bought an extended warranty in my life before, I have it on my MBP 17 for a semi-related reason: as the range has been discontinued, parts availability is an unknown. I want to keep it for at least three years, and I trust Apple to honour its Applecare obligations by keeping spare parts and replacement machines on hand for that time.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Hi all,

I have a question with regards to AppleCare and ordering from the online store.

Here's what happened:

When I ordered the rMBP for the first time, I got AppleCare bundled with it.

However, I decided to change my order (got the 2.3 instead of the 2.6). As such, I had to cancel the current rMBP order. However, the status of the AppleCare was already shown as "Completed", and I have been billed for it.

It's stated in my order history that the AppleCare is "Auto-enroll". Now that I've ordered my second rMBP, will the AppleCare coverage be automatically transferred to this order?

If it is not, is there any way to go about this? (No serial number was given for AppleCare as I did not receive a physical box)

Thanks!

Call Apple and ask. I don't think anyone here will be able to tell you for sure. You could wait until you receive the new computer and then check online to see if it's registered with Applecare, but a simple call to customer service should clear things up and give you peace of mind that Applecare will be registered to the correct computer.

cherlj

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2012
Call Apple and ask. I don't think anyone here will be able to tell you for sure. You could wait until you receive the new computer and then check online to see if it's registered with Applecare, but a simple call to customer service should clear things up and give you peace of mind that Applecare will be registered to the correct computer.

Thanks :) I was about to do that but I was hoping that others might have had a similar experience.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
other items

And don't forget, applecare covers your other apple items. If you have a display, airport/timecapsule, etc.

I have never bought applecare for any of my items though, have never really had any problems - take very good care of stuff and do regular maintenance. That said, I am seriously considering it for my new rMBP

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
If you're going to buy such an expensive laptop, I would certainly get AppleCare.
Even though my MBP 13' is not nearly as expensive as yours, I still got it and it's saved me a number of times (mind you, I've 500 or so days left too).

Teem45

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
Dallas, TX
Definitely get the AppleCare on this one, unless you can afford to take a huge hit if it needs a fix. If you end up needing it, you'll be mighty glad you have it. If you decide to sell your rMBP later on, your chances of selling it will be higher than without it. JMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.