Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
I bought a new iPad a few months ago. While it is an awesome device, I feel limited to what I can do with it. I don't really do much on it other than browse the web, or play an occasional game. I find it to be clumsy and awkward to use since theres no built in keyboard and trying to view it comfortably is always a challenge unless you get a lap stand or something. Trying to hold it up with one hand and type or swipe is a pain. I miss not having a trackpad or cursor while I'm using it too. I don't know, sometimes it nice, then other times it's limited. I've been thinking about getting a refurb Macbook air. Anyone else been in the same situation at some point? Thanks

mukade

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2010
Japan
I am lucky enough to have both.

I have been using a 13" 2010 Pro until this week when my Air arrived.
I commute by motorbike, so the lighter the better.
I always used my iPad, but the Air will probably be getting more of a look in now.

I have a Zagg Solo keyboard for my iPad.
It is fine for email and writing, but I find that I need a full-size set of keys for any serious work.
Having to reach up to select text on the screen just doesn't feel right.
Steve Jobs was correct when he rejected the idea of a touch screen iMac - it just feels clumsy.

Situations where I prefer an iPad:
Web browsing.
Email, messaging, Facebook.
Writing notes and blog posts.
Watching streamed video around the house.
Casual gaming.
Some creative work such as sketching.

Situations where I prefer a laptop (or have no choice.)
Longer writing sessions.
MS Office (always been awful, but so many of my clients still use it.)
Work!
Anything that requires the use of multiple windows. I am a translator, and I need my source and target text open constantly. The iPad just doesn't do that.

Are you planning on getting an 11 or 13"?
13" screen size is sufficiently bigger than the iPad to give it an advantage.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
The iPad is good at what it's made for: web browsing and emails. If you feel like you need a full fledged computer, then the air might be the best thing for you.

I find that the iPad is not awkward at all. I usually type on my knees, but I don't type often unless replying on forums or emails. I never type standing, but the iPad is much more useful while standing than a MacBook air. I often use it for reading and viewing when I'm on my commute by public transit. While the air is good, it can't be used in the same way. It's quite awkward to use a MacBook air while standing.

That said, the MacBook air is much less awkward to use while sitting at a desk. While seated at a desk, I usually put my iPad in a case to help it stand for videos and angled for typing. Right now, I'm typing on my knees on a couch. On a coach, the iPad is my preferred device of choice.

I think the reason for this is because it's easy to get started on an iPad. For whatever reason, it feels like its easier to pick up an iPad to use, while a full fledge computer like the MacBook air would require more work to get started on it.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I get most of my work done on an iPad. Most people see it only as a content-consumption device, but with a little thought and the right apps, you can easily convert it into a content-creation device.

A full-sized external keyboard from Apple along with the Incase Origami Workstation case for it (a beautiful design) fits comfortably with the iPad in my man bag (Waterfield Vertigo small) and I can do my work anywhere. Your work (and your mileage) may vary. However, I don't think it is an either / or decision. I often carry my 11" MBA with me as well (it also fits into the man bag with the iPad, and use the iPad to read while taking notes on the computer, for example. There are all sorts of combinations possible, but the cool thing is how effortlessly everything syncs.

If you end up with just the MBA, that is cool, but I would try and think outside the box and consider all of the options that an iPad / Macbook offers.

6-0 Prolene

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
I had high hopes for my iPad being a laptop replacement, but it just doesn't cut it. I did the Bluetooth keyboard, got the good productivity apps, etc. and after less than a year I bought an MBA. I especially notice the deficiencies of the iPad on the road, where I just want to use a real computer in my hotel room on a work trip, etc. Since my MBA arrived I've really not had much need for my iPad. My 3-year-old loves to use the kid apps, though.

jcg878

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2011
I had high hopes for my iPad being a laptop replacement, but it just doesn't cut it. I did the Bluetooth keyboard, got the good productivity apps, etc. and after less than a year I bought an MBA. I especially notice the deficiencies of the iPad on the road, where I just want to use a real computer in my hotel room on a work trip, etc. Since my MBA arrived I've really not had much need for my iPad. My 3-year-old loves to use the kid apps, though.

I agree with this. I use the iPad more than my laptop, but when it comes to real work there is no substitute. Carrying the iPad around with me allows me to access and work on documents in places where carrying a laptop is annoying or impractical, but it's not as useful for writing or creating slides as the MBA, two of my main work-related tasks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Different tools for different jobs.
I'd say sell the iPad if its not fitting your needs.

I have a MBP and an iPad. The iPad is good for somethings but to be honest, I'd rather do most of my work on a laptop. I find surfing, writing and most day to day tasks are better with my MBP.

The iPad is great at reading emails and responding, reading iBooks and watching movies, etc.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
I feel limited to what I can do with it. I don't really do much on it other than browse the web, or play an occasional game. I find it to be clumsy and awkward to use since theres no built in keyboard and trying to view it comfortably is always a challenge unless you get a lap stand or something. Trying to hold it up with one hand and type or swipe is a pain. I miss not having a trackpad or cursor while I'm using it too. I don't know, sometimes it nice, then other times it's limited. I've been thinking about getting a refurb Macbook air.
Sounds like the answer in your case is to go with the Air.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Sounds like the answer in your case is to go with the Air.

That was my reaction, too, based on the usage pattern described in the OP. I use my iPad extensively for work, but if I had to choose between that and my MBA, I would go for the latter.

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2009
I have both.

While I had my old 15" MBP, I got more use out of the iPad. Now that I have a 13" Air, I find it much easier to use than the old MBP and my iPad is sitting around a lot more. The Air starts up quick and is light, making it great for couch surfing.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
That's like asking if you should sell your bicycle to buy a car. Only you can say whether your particular situation affords you the opportunity/need. Many people have both because they use them for different thing. Many people only have one because that's all they need or can afford.

Which are you? :)

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
That's like asking if you should sell your bicycle to buy a car. Only you can say whether your particular situation affords you the opportunity/need. Many people have both because they use them for different thing. Many people only have one because that's all they need or can afford.

Amen.....

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
I get most of my work done on an iPad. Most people see it only as a content-consumption device, but with a little thought and the right apps, you can easily convert it into a content-creation device.

A full-sized external keyboard from Apple along with the Incase Origami Workstation case for it (a beautiful design) fits comfortably with the iPad in my man bag (Waterfield Vertigo small) and I can do my work anywhere. Your work (and your mileage) may vary. However, I don't think it is an either / or decision. I often carry my 11" MBA with me as well (it also fits into the man bag with the iPad, and use the iPad to read while taking notes on the computer, for example. There are all sorts of combinations possible, but the cool thing is how effortlessly everything syncs.

If you end up with just the MBA, that is cool, but I would try and think outside the box and consider all of the options that an iPad / Macbook offers.

+1 for the origami keyboard case. However after short bursts of typing, touching the screen and using a keyboard starts getting awkward. My iPad is used for a lot of things, but I can't use it to say print labels put with my dymo printer.

Different devices, different needs for me too...

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012

If only someone invented a car that could transform into a bicycle and vice versa...

idencustom

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
I have both... and neither is really a hindrance. I have the Zagg bluetooth keyboard/case... and this really helps with papers/reports I have to write.

Attachments

• 20120624_135957.jpg
    20120624_135957.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 20120624_140026.jpg
    20120624_140026.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 20120624_140007.jpg
    20120624_140007.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 87

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
You never mention what your other computer is nor what you plan to do with the MBA. I don't understand people telling you to get a MBA based on what you have told them. Sounds like you need a keyboard at most, unless you specify.

Personally I love the iMac/iPad setup. But I don't really have a job that requires me to do work outside of my house.

I can do everything I need at home, and stuff I need to bring with me can be popped onto the iPad really quick.

I just bought a new MBA. I had the 2011 as well. I was hoping to see some major gains with this new one, but I have not. I will probably return it and stick with my other setup.

The main thing the MBA can not do over the iPad is read books/comics. I read A LOT. Reading on a MBA is just not the same. That is the deal breaker for me.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
ipad + keyboard = laptop!

If you can only afford one- get the Air.
13 inch if you're going to use it for work.
11 inch if only email-surf and recreation.

I have the 13inch- it's perfect in everyway...except reading- books and comics.
And for that I bought the iPad.
(I tried the nook- but find the extra size for comics and the way ibooks displays books is much better than other e-reader out there.)

So- The iPad is a fantastic reader. Beyond that- it's nice to use for surfing web around the house- not much else. I've tried to write and edit photos on it, etc.
The worst thing is trying to direct the cursor via your finger.
It's absolutely impossible.

IMO- It doesn't work as good as a laptop- not even close.

Lagmonster

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
We each have an iPad and an Air. Our iPads get more use but we read a fair amount. If it can be done on either device, I will do it on the iPad. It's just so easier to grab it and go.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
The main thing the MBA can not do over the iPad is read books/comics. I read A LOT. Reading on a MBA is just not the same. That is the deal breaker for me.
Good point. I travel to Asia, and the iPad is great as a ten hour book reader/movie player. Or in the morning, I take the iPad down to the restaurant and read a paper or book from it, and even MBA isn't as good for that. Another big plus for iPad is its unbelievable durability. My disabled daughter has one, and she's dropped and thrown it countless times. The OtterBox defender is a big help there, providing protection that you don't need to remove.

But for me, I prefer the MacBook Air, and done see the sense in having both devices, even for the long flights.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.