Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Looking for an app that will allow me to access my smb (samba) and NFS shares... via LAN home network? I've got a ton of kids videos that my son likes to watch.

Prefer not to install server side software like plex?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Yeah i am also using XBMC on my iPad and I must say that I am impressed. Otherwise you can also try with CineXplayer.

CineXplayer only supports Web streaming, not "true" Samba.

----------

Looking for an app that will allow me to access my smb (samba) and NFS shares... via LAN home network? I've got a ton of kids videos that my son likes to watch.

Prefer not to install server side software like plex?

You may want to check out the "Samba" section of my multimedia chart ( https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13100693/html/042012RetinaHDVideoPlayers/201204-mm-chart.ods ). Of the truly(!) SMB-capable players, I recommend the following because they support HW decoding of MP4 / MOV / M4V files:

XBMC (of course)
eXPlayer HD by Zhigang Chen http://itunes.apple.com/app/explayer-hd/id418100406?mt=8

----------

Thanks... Totally forgot about xbmc... Sucks it's not optimized for new iPad.

Yup, unfortunately, it's still not Retina-enabled, not even in the latest nightlies - see Memphiz's 4-day-old post at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132356&page=13

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
i'm not 100% sure what you are after, but I use AirVideo to stream movies of my MBP/external HDDs to my iPhone.

AirVideo

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Thanks for the other option...

Still trying to figure out why my audio is not working - assuming the container is the issue?

Finishing up my OpenIndiana ZFS box, so this is not a priority at the moment... getting my ZFS to serve my WDTLives (another SMB issue - haha)

Beherith

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
VM Player

Using VM Player - supports a lot of video and audio formats and direct playing (and of course downloading) from network shares.
Moreover they promise smb file uploading and playing music directly from iTunes library in the upcoming 1.7 update.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Using VM Player - supports a lot of video and audio formats and direct playing (and of course downloading) from network shares.
Moreover they promise smb file uploading and playing music directly from iTunes library in the upcoming 1.7 update.

1, are you working for Velestar Private Enterprise? You have four posts; every single of them recommends a product of them (VM Player and vSSH). You should at least post a quick remark like "I know I may be biased but..."

2, I do NOT recommend VM Player. Theoretically, it's a nice app but, in practice, both the video decoders and the streaming module have a LOT to be desired. For example, its SMB compatibility is far worse than that of GoodPlayer / XBMC - it didn't work with my password-protected OS X share. (GoodPlayer worked just fine.) Its UPnP support is also pretty bad - it showsjJust a dark screen when streaming (downloading works). After switching to SW decoding, it works. GoodPlayer works just fine in streamed, HW-accelerated mode under exactly the same circumstances.

Joseler68

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
AVS Media Player solves the issue. just download the app for free. You have to change the audio to be sent to AirPlay besides the normal AirPlay icon but it plays mounted disks, DVDs, and vid files just fine. Hopefully Apple fixes the issue but it is at least a workaround.

This is MacBookPro to AppleTV by the way

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
AVS Media Player solves the issue. just download the app for free. You have to change the audio to be sent to AirPlay besides the normal AirPlay icon but it plays mounted disks, DVDs, and vid files just fine. Hopefully Apple fixes the issue but it is at least a workaround.

This is MacBookPro to AppleTV by the way

This won't really help the OP as it requires a "middleman" (an x86 desktop to do the transcoding).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.