Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DylanCampbell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Liverpool
I'm currently using a Macbook Pro 13" i5 2011 and the display just wasn't cutting it, too small! because of this i hooked it up to a 22" television we had lying round the house, but the tv weren't very good and had a crappy picture. So, as of now, i have £160 to spend on the best external display possible 20" to 24".

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Dylan

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Do all of the Dell displays use that aggressive antiglare coating?

This seems to be a YMMV issue. A few people report seeing "sparkly" text. I came to the Dell u2412m from a glossy HP monitor. If I didn't know the Dell specs included AG I would have sworn that it was a glossy screen. I did a lot of research before buying the Dell. I would say 90% of users have zero problem with the AG, 5% notice it but it's no big deal and 5% can't stand it.

It's not for the faint of heart but it is possible to remove the AG coating.

ChrisNH

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
southern New Hampshire
I got a ViewSonic 1080p LED

Cost $169 and I love it. It features 1920 x 1080 resolution, a nice look to it.

It is a VX2450wm-LED.

My MacBook Pro is a late-2011 15" i7.

MasterMacBook

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
Austarlia, W.A
Cost $169 and I love it. It features 1920 x 1080 resolution, a nice look to it.

It is a VX2450wm-LED.

My MacBook Pro is a late-2011 15" i7.

I have a viewsonic VX2433WM FullHD LCD "24 monitor I have used for xbox 360 gaming, via VGA&hdmi for 3 years now. Still going strong, great quality, good price, decent little speakers in it as well.

I bought it for $AUD 180 3 years ago, so dont spend over $200 equivelant :)

MasterMacBook

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
Austarlia, W.A
Would you recommend a dell monitor then? Or better go with VX2433WM FullHD LCD "24 monitor?

The view sonic I have is 3 years old I think, so maybe discontinued. You should be able to find a 24" fullhd with heaps of inputs for $200 and under, and the panel and technology will be newer so I would assume would be better then my VX2433WM.

For everyday use / casual gaming it should be fine, if graphics is your job/career/passion etc maybe invest more money into a better monitor with a better panel etc. Depends what your needs are really, just compare different brands and prices, research and don't get ripped off. :)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
That dell looks okay. But bad for gaming with 8ms response time, if you dont game that seems like a good deal.

Dells are pretty exceptional when it comes to budget displays. NEC has a couple good low end offerings too. IPS historically wasn't the fastest for gaming. While we have some decent low end options now, they may not be ideal for gaming monitors. If you aren't doing a lot of fps, they could be okay. For something like that, real performance is more important than quoted specs, so I'd suggest looking at reviews if it is a priority. The only comment that bothered me on the amazon link was the one suggesting that Dell doesn't warranty those sold through amazon directly.

OrlandoV

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Best External Monitor - My Pick

Obviously there are a lot of options, but I love this monitor. It combines a gorgeous screen and pretty decent speakers. I will never go less than a LED LCD at this point and this monitor is a great value for a perfect picture. It doesn't shame a beautiful MBP.

51g762U2t8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y3BJ7S

bf2008

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
I have a Dell P2310H and I think it's really nice. Nice image quality, nice build quality, good stand, and it has displayport so works nicely with macs. It's below £200 I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.