Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbking

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2009
AAC, like mp3 is lossy, so you will always lose quality if you encode something to AAC.

As for the FLAC vs Apple Lossless, FLAC is better for general use (it compresses better), but if you use iTunes than Apple Lossless is the best option.

gusious

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
Thanks for replying sbking. One more question though. Guys here say that the best app for converting Flac to mp3s or aac files is Max(among the others). But what app should i use for ripping my cds into Flac? Is Max app able to do that?:)

Trainwreck707

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Anyone you guys?:eek:

Max is able to rip to FLAC. I started with Max but am now exclusively using XLD. I feel more comfortable with my rips when using some of the advanced features you get with XLD—especially the ability to save a log of each rip. If you prefer Max over XLD, you might want to check out Rip. It is still a beta, but looks promising.

dopipod

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
OK!!!! But can anyone explain why my itunes used to convert flac automatically when adding music? Has anyone else been able to do this? I didn't have any of these programs installed at the time.

I have also had limited success with converting flac files directly in iTunes in the past.
I cannot, however, offer an explanation as to how iTunes managed this, or confirm whether you may, or may not, be going mad;)

stewart93

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2011
in the past I converted my music collection from Flac to AAC so it'd play on my first iPod. It was a while ago but I remember it being a very good application. you may download it for a try

macmadness86

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
Another Option for Flac to MP3, MP4, OGG, WMV, WAV, SPX on Mac, Windows and Linux

You could get this newer free media player called Clementine, which is written in python, if I am not mistaken. Its very quick and converts stuff nicely. Great companion to iTunes if you just want something that starts fast to listen to music in a folder without adding it to your main library.

Get it here

best wishes
--macmadness86

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
One question guys. When converting from FLAC to AAC do you loose quality or not?

Edit: Oh one more. Which is best and why: FLAC or Apple Lossless?

Use XLD to convert FLAC to ALAC that way you lose no quality.

lossless = lossless

You can listen through your stereo losslessly and enjoy pure bliss and then sync to your iPod while downconverting to save space.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
If you're comfortable with the command line, you can use the official FLAC tool to decode to WAV or AIFF, then use something like neroaacenc to encode it to AAC. You can make that in to one command by telling flac to output to stdout, and telling neroaacenc to read in from stdout, and piping the two together.

keybaby

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2012
Does any one know Max works with Mountain Lion? I searched "convert FLAC to Apple Lossless mountain lion" and found this FLAC Converter can convert FLAC to Apple Lossless directly. It also can work to convert FLAC to MP3, AAC, WAV, even 24bit WAV.

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Another vote for XLD

I have been using XLD ever since iTunes stopped reading FLAC files a few years ago. I convert to ALAC. My only beef is that it would be nice to have a drop file dialog box open when you first open the app. It is all still quite menu driven.

hogger129

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2013
One question guys. When converting from FLAC to AAC do you loose quality or not?

Yes, you lose quality because AAC is a lossy codec.

It depends. I use Apple Lossless since iTunes natively supports it and it makes it easier to manage all my music that way. My Sansa Clip Zip also supports it and AAC (through Rockbox). Usually I just cut all my stuff down to 256 AAC anyway for both my iPod and Sansa since it sounds good enough to my ears.

I use dBpoweramp and import to WAV first, then I drag/drop the WAV files into iTunes and create Apple Lossless versions, rename the songs, add artwork/metadata.

pogoyoyo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Why on earth would you convert FLAC to aac? Everything Apple can play Apple lossless (ALAC, .m4a extension)... so there's no point of using AAC other than maybe saving some space.

pogoyoyo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Toronto, Canada

Yeah, i don't understand why you'd go to AAC. Converting to AAC you go from lossless > lossy (therefore losing quality, and yes it's noticeable). Going from FLAC to ALAC you don't lose any quality because you're going from lossless > lossless. Only possible plus to AAC is smaller file size I guess (35mb+ vs 6-12mb).

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008

joshjohnson

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2004
FLAC to AAC, ALAC, and others.

I use Toast Titanum, the current version is 11, it will convert media to/from all the formats you can think of with an easy interface. the only negative is it's at least $75 to purchase, though you may be able to get Toast 10 for cheaper off Amazon, it works on 10.7-10.9 with minor stability issues.

Antares

macrumors 68000

I play everything through iTunes. So, I go with Apple Lossless. It's the easiest, best option for me. If you use other players, though, you would want to go with FLAC.

As for quality, both are lossless, so I would assume the music would sound the same in either format. I'm not an expert, here, so I am only guessing...lossless is lossess.

ijbond

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2006
is there a program out there that easily converts FLAC to AAC, I've got some FLAC files and I want to play them in iTunes and iPod, how can I do it?

By the way, did you know you don't have to convert? There are a lot of apps, which are able to play FLAC files on iPhone/iPad/iPod.

I prefer using an app called "FLAC Player" (by Dan Leehr L.L.C.). More Infos, FAQs and support at hammockdistrict.com/flacplayer

ijbond

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2006
I use dBpoweramp and import to WAV first, then I drag/drop the WAV files into iTunes and create Apple Lossless versions, rename the songs, add artwork/metadata.

Did you know, dBpoweramp is able to create simultaneously two formats during ripping a CD. For example, you rip once and get both a FLAC file and a AAC file.

Renaming songs and tags and changing artwork: that all I do inside of dBpoweramp, because you may compare several providers of tag infos and you change between tag versions with only one click. Very easy and time-saving.

Furthermore I make sure of 100% rip quality by watching AccurateRip results of other people. dBpoweramp is the best way to rip and convert music. Drawback: though they are preparing a Mac version, at the moment the stable version is only Windows.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.