Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angeeb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
iMovie screen won't show up

I'm having a strange problem with iMovie. I used to have no problem using this program, but now when I open iMovie nothing shows up on the screen except the top tool bar.

So then I try to click on new project and the iMovie info comes down a bit from the right of the screen, lets me press new project and then it disappears off to the right of my computer. I cannot find the screen or do anything in the program. I cannot fix it and it's driving me mad. I don't know where it goes and I've tried hiding/showing, etc.

Please someone help me!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 28, 2010
located
I'm having a strange problem with iMovie. I used to have no problem using this program, but now when I open iMovie nothing shows up on the screen except the top tool bar.

So then I try to click on new project and the iMovie info comes down a bit from the right of the screen, lets me press new project and then it disappears off to the right of my computer. I cannot find the screen or do anything in the program. I cannot fix it and it's driving me mad. I don't know where it goes and I've tried hiding/showing, etc.

Please someone help me!!
Did you have a second monitor connected once?
Have you tried deleting the "com.apple.imovie.plist" file in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Preferences / yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

angeeb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Thanks for your reply, simsaladimbamba.

I just tried deleting this file from my computer, but iMovie is doing the same thing.

I do hook my computer up to my TV everyday to view movies on my TV screen. Could this be part of the problem? What should I do to fix it?

angeeb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Thanks for your help. That did it! The only bummer thing is, everytime I close my iMovie, I have to do the whole process over again. Strange, but at least I can use it again.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks for your help. That did it! The only bummer thing is, everytime I close my iMovie, I have to do the whole process over again. Strange, but at least I can use it again.

Strange indeed. Do you use Mac OS X 10.7 Lion by any chance, which is known to have problems with dual display setups?

goldenrist

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2012
imovie won't come onscreen

Hello, I'm having the same problem. It (imovie) was working yesterday and now it's doing this crazy thing.

I've tried the suggestion from simsaladimbamba but nothing is helping. I am able to access imovie as usual when I use a different user account. Can anyone please offer some additional suggestions!

dclaassen

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
I had the same issue. Make sure the iMovie toolbar is showing. Click 'Window' then 'Zoom' and it will bring it to your current screen. Let me know if that works!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.