Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisleeroth

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
I just noticed a quiet noise that comes from the left side of my powerbook when I am charging it. When I unplug it, it goes away. This noise might have been there since I bought the powerbook a couple of weeks ago, but stuff like this drives me crazy, unless confirmed that it is normal. Please... people with powerbooks listen for this noise and see if it goes away when you unplug the charger... It is very quiet and sounds like a static noise.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Have you checked it isn't the charger itself?
If not then I haven't experienced or heard of this problem myself, and thus no fix. Your best bet would be to take it to an applestore or call apple

chrisleeroth

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
James Philp said:
If not then I haven't experienced or heard of this problem myself, and thus no fix. Your best bet would be to take it to an applestore or call apple

Not the charger... it is really really faint, you have to put your ear really close to the keyboard to hear it.

chrisleeroth

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
James Philp said:
If not then I haven't experienced or heard of this problem myself, and thus no fix. Your best bet would be to take it to an applestore or call apple[/QUOT

I just figured out that the noise comes out of both speakers... Put your ear on the right and left, and then take out the charger and listen... the noise should be gone then.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
I hear it too. I put my ear to the top left of the 12" rev. B PB and I can hear it when it's plugged in and the noise dissapears when I unplug it. It doesn't bother me though and I would never have noticed if you didn't point it out. thanks alot ;) :D

chrisleeroth

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
njmac said:
I hear it too. I put my ear to the top left of the 12" rev. B PB and I can hear it when it's plugged in and the noise dissapears when I unplug it. It doesn't bother me though and I would never have noticed if you didn't point it out. thanks alot ;) :D
THANK GOD NJMAC YOU HAVE MADE MY HEART RATE GO DOWN 100 BPS

Gwendolyn

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2005
Massachusetts
I never would have thought to put my ear close to my keyboard so that I could listen to my PB from a new angle--but I followed your directions, and yes, my PB makes the noise, too. And as you pointed out, I can't hear the noise when I am using the laptop normally (without my ear close to it), or when it's unplugged. My guess, then, is that the sound is normal. There probably just aren't many reports of this because the noise is so faint and is only heard under certain conditions that many people don't come across in normal use.

andcraig

macrumors regular
May 28, 2005
I think its just the sound of the electricity
I could hear something similar when i'd be charging my old toshiba
and if you ever drive near high tension power lines you hear that lovely ultra high pitched whining sound

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
chrisleeroth said:
I just noticed a quiet noise that comes from the left side of my powerbook when I am charging it. When I unplug it, it goes away. This noise might have been there since I bought the powerbook a couple of weeks ago, but stuff like this drives me crazy, unless confirmed that it is normal. Please... people with powerbooks listen for this noise and see if it goes away when you unplug the charger... It is very quiet and sounds like a static noise.

How did you spot that? You must have been really close.

Ladies & gentlemen, we have an official mac hugger!!!

(Hugs PowerBook, notices faint noise)

chrisleeroth

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
j26 said:
How did you spot that? You must have been really close.

Ladies & gentlemen, we have an official mac hugger!!!

(Hugs PowerBook, notices faint noise)

Hey... if the shoe fits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.