Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
I'd never seen it before but if someone really likes the felt look, it does look like there are some options on Etsy that don't look like you raided your grandfather's closet and tore one of his suits apart to make a sleeve

like this doesn't look bad:

I wouldn't buy a felt one for myself though.

/grumpy mode off/ Maybe I was being a bit harsh, be boring if everyone liked the same sleeves I guess.

Camwin

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
To all, a gift. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005G88RC4/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
/grumpy mode off/ Maybe I was being a bit harsh, be boring if everyone liked the same sleeves I guess.

Possibly :) I just think if someone likes the felt look, they should look around. Obviously, different needs for different people. If you are an executive in a more traditional company, I think your needs would be different than a college student.

I work in a more traditional company myself but I've seen changes even in our executives in the past few years to more modern looks in designs and getting away from some of the more old-fashioned looks.

----------

I've never heard of that brand, I usually stick with speck* Is the quality just as good as speck?

I don't plan to put a hard case around my system but the black looks too much like the average windows laptop :) Not to say you couldn't tell the difference but maybe it is PTSD from all the years of only having the black option for laptops.

TibookAktive

macrumors member
May 27, 2010
I suppose it depends on your idea of aesthetic ;)

Looks generally 'old fashioned', that isn't always a bad thing but seems to be the style you'd expect for an older businessman. You may fit into that demographic so that isn't a bad thing.

I really like this one and will probably be getting it too. Each to their own I guess. However, I'm 28 and work for a bank so hardly a style guru...

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
These from Picaso Lab look pretty nice, shipping soon for the Retina $98/£62

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF-oT5iZ11k

http://www.etsy.com/listing/102767456/monogram-full-case-bordeaux-for-macbook?ref=v1_other_2

full2_large.jpg

Last edited:

VSLRA

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
Czech republic, Czech Budweis

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
Oh my god, this looks really beautiful! But price is high :eek: ...we have to pay for good things.
There is one bad thing for me... you need extra bag for transport and for charger :rolleyes:

When you watch the video of the guy making one, you can really see the care and attention he puts into them, worth the money IMO.

EatMyApple

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
Oh my god, this looks really beautiful! But price is high :eek: ...we have to pay for good things.
There is one bad thing for me... you need extra bag for transport and for charger :rolleyes:

I'm not a huge leather fan, especially for my electronics.......but DDDAAAAAANNNNNNGGGG!!!! That is one sexy case!

Since I bought an extra charger, I may look into this case more after Booq releases theirs....

When you watch the video of the guy making one, you can really see the care and attention he puts into them, worth the money IMO.

I agree! The video made me want to buy one just cause its a man, his skill, his time, and his 'garage'. Even the way he worded his descriptions - very personal!

I may just have to pick one up......for those times I wanna look professional and fly all at the same time!

----------

Did you see this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykRzMhv4Srk&feature=fvwp&NR=1

evilyankeefan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2007
Been a huge fan of Tom Bihn products and with the RMBP I needed a new vertical brain cell for my Smart Alec bag.

Just like the RMBP, it on pre-order to the end of July. Sigh. Outstanding quality, but kinda routine on waiting on any of their products that goes along with a popular Apple product.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I just received the sleeve I ordered from Pack and Smooch. I have a thread with the review, but I might as well add it here for everyone to see.

Like many of you, as soon as the MBP with retina display was announced, I ordered the laptop and started emailing vendors to see if they made a sleeve or bag for the rMBP. After searching, I ended up going with Pack and Smooch's Hampshire Sleeve for my rMBP. I have used their sleeve for my previous 11" MBA and my iPhones and I really like their quality.

The sleeve for the rMBP is no different. It is made of high quality wool and tanned leather. It is precisely cut and tailored to the laptop. I really like how clean and simple it is without adding much bulk.

As you can see from the pictures, there is a pocket the width of the sleeve to fit anything from paperwork to pens/pencils, to your iPhone and/or the charger. I prefer to keep mine empty with the exception of a few papers or bills that I might need to take to work.

Now this sleeve is perfect to protect your rMBP from scratches and making it an extra protection if you put it in another bag. It doesn't have drop protection but I don't think many sleeves do anyways.

This should last me a long time since my 11" sleeve protected my laptop well until I sold it and I still use the iPhone sleeves for both my wife's and my iPhone 4S.

I tried my best to attach decent pictures but checkout the website for better pics and other colors available.

http://www.pack-smooch.com/en/shop/apple-laptop-sleeve-air-hampshire

let me know if you guys have any questions

Attachments

• 394C2966-1.jpg
    394C2966-1.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 658
  • 394C2967-1.jpg
    394C2967-1.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 543
  • 394C2968-1.jpg
    394C2968-1.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 565
  • 394C2969-1.jpg
    394C2969-1.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 605

freeskier989

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2007
colcaSac

Well just received my ColcaSac for my Retina, and guess what? Does not even fit! Its like they made it the width of the iPad - i dont think they even had a Retina to make their pattern from, just made the one for the 15" hemmed in a bit more, making it not fit at all!

This company is a joke - i cant get ahold of them, no one answers the phone, and now i have to pay my own money to send this POS back to them for a refund.

Bottom line, stay away from this product its crap. The packaging was stamped 15" but then handwritten in "Retina" so these are not even made specifically for our Retina computers.

What a jip. This Jared Rasmussen doesn't know squat about customer service.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Well just received my ColcaSac for my Retina, and guess what? Does not even fit! Its like they made it the width of the iPad - i dont think they even had a Retina to make their pattern from, just made the one for the 15" hemmed in a bit more, making it not fit at all!

This company is a joke - i cant get ahold of them, no one answers the phone, and now i have to pay my own money to send this POS back to them for a refund.

Bottom line, stay away from this product its crap. The packaging was stamped 15" but then handwritten in "Retina" so these are not even made specifically for our Retina computers.

What a jip. This Jared Rasmussen doesn't know squat about customer service.

Did you try to put it on ? When I first got mine, I looked at and looked at my rMBP and said there is no way this is going to fit, but then it did. It is a snug fit but fits perfectly.

Yes, they did write in the words 'retina'. It is possible that for some reason, they don't have the labels yet since they just started making these.

I thought it was great customer service but it is possible that since they are a smaller company that they couldn't take your call at the time. I'd email them as well and let them know that it doesn't fit.

Again, if you haven't tried to put it on, I'd try.

freeskier989

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2007
Did you try to put it on ? When I first got mine, I looked at and looked at my rMBP and said there is no way this is going to fit, but then it did. It is a snug fit but fits perfectly.

Yes, they did write in the words 'retina'. It is possible that for some reason, they don't have the labels yet since they just started making these.

I thought it was great customer service but it is possible that since they are a smaller company that they couldn't take your call at the time. I'd email them as well and let them know that it doesn't fit.

Again, if you haven't tried to put it on, I'd try.

Yes tried several times, i can get it in but its super baggy at the bottom, too tight at top and the fold top ends up halfway pushed over making it totally unusable. Horrible quality control. $40 for something that is totally unusable.

EatMyApple

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
Yes tried several times, i can get it in but its super baggy at the bottom, too tight at top and the fold top ends up halfway pushed over making it totally unusable. Horrible quality control. $40 for something that is totally unusable.

You forgot fugly. :D

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011

That wasn't my experience but as I said, I'd try to email them and let them know of the situation. If you are interested in trying again, I'm sure they'd be able to send you another. Otherwise, I'd ask them for return shipping and let them know you weren't happy with the quality control.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Even though it is targeted towards women and there are mostly men on this board, wanted to share another find.

I've been looking for a tote bag and have been looking for one when I found this from Crumpler:
http://www.crumpler.com/US/Casual-a...ht-Bag.html?LanguageCode=EN&SKU=GM2001-X02150
GM2001-X02150_img04_sub.jpg

I'm really impressed by the quality of the bag, it feels very sturdy from the fabric, to the hardware to the zippers. The inside is made with a ripstop fabric. The bottom is supposedly water proof. It looks smaller than it is so it holds a lot of stuff but doesn't look huge. The only thing I'd like is for the drop on the handles to be a bit longer but carrying the bag by the handle makes it feel like the right height. It comes with a shoulder strap as well.

It has an inner zipper and an outer zipper that is almost hidden. It fits the rMBP perfectly in its laptop section but I'm a bit overprotective and would still put it in a sleeve while in the bag.

Anyway, I'm very happy with this bag so far.

freeskier989

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2007
That wasn't my experience but as I said, I'd try to email them and let them know of the situation. If you are interested in trying again, I'm sure they'd be able to send you another. Otherwise, I'd ask them for return shipping and let them know you weren't happy with the quality control.

Yeah well i tried by email, phone, site messaging to get ahold of them to possibly send another one out or at the very least send me return shipping. But no answers, so i just sent it back to them and now im out the additional shipping. So basically if i get my refund, im still taking a 25% loss. I don't know about anyone else, but if someone told me these were risks before ordering i prob would have not taken the risk for a company that makes product out of the back room of their house. Eh, live and learn. Back to finding a good sleeve case....

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Yeah well i tried by email, phone, site messaging to get ahold of them to possibly send another one out or at the very least send me return shipping. But no answers, so i just sent it back to them and now im out the additional shipping. So basically if i get my refund, im still taking a 25% loss. I don't know about anyone else, but if someone told me these were risks before ordering i prob would have not taken the risk for a company that makes product out of the back room of their house. Eh, live and learn. Back to finding a good sleeve case....

Well there is always a possibility of not liking a case once you see it in person and that is always the danger of online ordering if you order from most companies. Very few will pay return shipping. If there is a defect, which it sounds like yours had, the companies generally do pay return shipping.

Again, I don't know if you had been trying for minutes, hours or days in trying to contact the company. If it had been hours, I would've said give them a chance to get back to you. If it had been days, well that doesn't sound good but again, smaller companies sometimes have bumps like that so I tend to give them a little more slack and try a few times over a few days.

Shaunyac

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2012
South Wales, UK
I see a lot of people are focussing on sleeves, I don't think I'd like a sleeve tbh but rather a hard shell that opens and closes with the mbp, has anyone seen any nice designs floating about?

My friend has a clear green plastic hard shell thingy which covers the bottom and top but the mbp is completely usable.

I have seen this one but it doesn't look like it would be up to protecting from drops etc much.

http://www.gearzap.com/incipio-feather-case-for-macbook-pro-15-retina-black.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.