Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I had this problem and used to have a problem with airplay dissappearing too.

It was an issue cause by the IP address not renewing after wake. Everything now has a manual ip address assigned and works hunky dorey :)

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
I had this problem and used to have a problem with airplay dissappearing too.

It was an issue cause by the IP address not renewing after wake. Everything now has a manual ip address assigned and works hunky dorey :)

It's not that Airplay is disappearing, I have this problem too, iTunes 10.6.3 running on a physical server running Windows 2008 R2 (also does it on OS 10.7 and 10.8 DP4) where you can watch fine, go out for a hour or so, come back, click the shared library and it just spins saying 'connecting to ....'

The only way to get it to wake up is by closing iTunes and re-opening it. IT's very very very annoying, especially when your mother is ringing you asking why her iPad or Apple TV won't play 'Biggest Loser' ha!

I've resorted to disconnecting the Apple TV and using the PS3 with PS3MEdia server pointing to the iTunes library until Apple fix this fundamental flaw.

One workaround I have seen on the net is to have something playing on a continuous loop. I can't do this as the server doesn't have a audio card in it.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Sadly I'm now in the same boat as everyone else. After updating my server and AppleTV's now I get disconnected from home sharing after inactivity for a while. Not sure what's going on or how to fix it. I think it has something to do with configuration of the server but I can't be sure of that.

Anyone have any ideas? I tried setting every device on the network to fixed IP addresses with DHCP renewing every 365 days. Still no luck.

My ATV was still under warranty, so I had mine replaced and it works (almost) flawlessly. Do you still have the option of replacing it?

When I had problems, changing Wifi channel seemed to make slight improvement, switching to static IP addressing made an improvement, switching to Ethernet made a huge difference; until (as in your case) an ATV update broke it again. At that point I returned it and I haven't had to reset Home Sharing/stop iTunes/restart the ATV since. A couple of disconnects while playing a song, but Home Sharing now is quite stable.

murdoc158

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
West Bend, WI
It's not that Airplay is disappearing, I have this problem too, iTunes 10.6.3 running on a physical server running Windows 2008 R2 (also does it on OS 10.7 and 10.8 DP4) where you can watch fine, go out for a hour or so, come back, click the shared library and it just spins saying 'connecting to ....'

The only way to get it to wake up is by closing iTunes and re-opening it. IT's very very very annoying, especially when your mother is ringing you asking why her iPad or Apple TV won't play 'Biggest Loser' ha!

I've resorted to disconnecting the Apple TV and using the PS3 with PS3MEdia server pointing to the iTunes library until Apple fix this fundamental flaw.

One workaround I have seen on the net is to have something playing on a continuous loop. I can't do this as the server doesn't have a audio card in it.

I'd be willing to try this. Do I have to have iTunes playing something or can I open an audio file in VLC or something similar and just have it loop? I'm running Windows Media Server 2011, latest iTunes 64-bit version, manual IP on all network devices, DHCP reservations set on the router, and an Apple TV3 with the latest update connected via Cat6 Ethernet.

aced411

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
You know I had this issue for the longest time. It was definitely either something to do with iTunes or bonjour because it happened from whatever device I was trying to access my share. I got so frustrated I switched to Roku and used Plex. A few months later (recently) I decided to see if the problem still exists. To my surprise I no longer have the issue. Not sure which update fixed it, but I feel your pain.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
My ATV was still under warranty, so I had mine replaced and it works (almost) flawlessly. Do you still have the option of replacing it?

I never had a problem until I got an ATV3. I took my old ATV2 and put it on another TV and the ATV3 as my main. Now I get this problem on the new ATV3, but also the old ATV2! Doesn't make any sense why I'd get it with the old ATV2.

Then again, maybe it wasn't the ATV3 . . . . shortly there after my iTunes server (ATV1 with Tiger on it (I think it's tiger)) died and I had to put a new hard drive in it, meaning a whole new install of the OS and iTunes. I wonder if something went wrong there.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010

Oh when that happens to me on appletv, i just join the wirless network again.

I thought it was my router, but maybe its not.

aced411

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
You know I had this issue for the longest time. It was definitely either something to do with iTunes or bonjour because it happened from whatever device I was trying to access my share. I got so frustrated I switched to Roku and used Plex. A few months later (recently) I decided to see if the problem still exists. To my surprise I no longer have the issue. Not sure which update fixed it, but I feel your pain.
I stand corrected, I'm still having the issue. This is rediculous, this issue has been going on for way too long

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I never had a problem until I got an ATV3. I took my old ATV2 and put it on another TV and the ATV3 as my main. Now I get this problem on the new ATV3, but also the old ATV2! Doesn't make any sense why I'd get it with the old ATV2.

Then again, maybe it wasn't the ATV3 . . . . shortly there after my iTunes server (ATV1 with Tiger on it (I think it's tiger)) died and I had to put a new hard drive in it, meaning a whole new install of the OS and iTunes. I wonder if something went wrong there.

You updated the ATV2 didn't you? That might be it. For me, it was rock-solid once I'd switched to Ethernet, then broke again with an ATV update. I've had the device replaced, and it's been great since. But I am a little nervous every time I update the new ATV2.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
You updated the ATV2 didn't you? That might be it. For me, it was rock-solid once I'd switched to Ethernet, then broke again with an ATV update. I've had the device replaced, and it's been great since. But I am a little nervous every time I update the new ATV2.

It's NOT the Apple TV..........

When you can't access homesharing you can't access it from 1) another iTunes desktop software, 2) iPhone / iPad 3) Apple TV .... it's purely the `server` part of the iTunes home sharing system.

----------

I'd be willing to try this. Do I have to have iTunes playing something or can I open an audio file in VLC or something similar and just have it loop? I'm running Windows Media Server 2011, latest iTunes 64-bit version, manual IP on all network devices, DHCP reservations set on the router, and an Apple TV3 with the latest update connected via Cat6 Ethernet.

Nope, has to be iTunes it's to stop iTunes going `idle`

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
It's NOT the Apple TV..........

When you can't access homesharing you can't access it from 1) another iTunes desktop software, 2) iPhone / iPad 3) Apple TV .... it's purely the `server` part of the iTunes home sharing system.

That might be your experience, but there are probably several different issues in this thread all falling under the "Home Sharing disconnecting" category. Some might be caused by iTunes, some by the ATV, some by the Apple infrastructure. (I recall once the Apple authentication servers were down, so Home Sharing couldn't be activated on any device).

In CylonGlitch's case, I think he updated the ATV2, ATV3 and iTunes server, so it could be caused by any of the above. You're likely right though, iTunes is the more likely culprit in his case.

bluewooster

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
I had persistent homesharing droputs last month.

I know there are probably many potential reasons why this happens but, in my case (in case this is of benefit to others), my mac kept randomly ejecting my usb drives causing homesharing to quit. This was readily apparent - when i go to my computer, it tells me that the drive was ejected improperly. Why this occurs is beyond me (the drive is fine, ive diasbled putting drives to sleep, and it has even occurred while using the drive!). At a certain point, I just shrugged my shoulders and started hosting my itunes library with an old asus netbook i had that was collecting dust. Hasn't happened since in over 3 weeks! "just works" my a$$!

In fairness, before upgrading to lion, i never had a single problem with homesharing. I just don't have the enthusiasm i once had to go searching for the solution. Apple tv started as an exciting adventure where i would literally spend 100s of hours obssessed with getting my media accessible. Now, it has almost become "work". I never thought i would say this but apple tv has almost become a fancy netflix server for us as this seems to be the sole feature that works dependably for us!

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
I didn't read through all the comments, but this problem was happening alot with me and it was really frustrating
(atv2, 2011 27" base imac)

I called everyone, went through all the troubleshooting. Turns out the problem was my cable providers internet router. It was the one responsible for dropping the signal all the time. In order to fix that I basically had to turn off homesharing and re-turn it on everytime I wanted to watch a movie.

I ended up purchasing a time capsule, and that changed everything. No more problems, nothing is wired, all wireless, no more dropped signals.

I'm not saying go pick up a time capsule since they are very expensive, but maybe your router needs a upgrade. If not a upgrade maybe the brand or model is having problems with communication for some reason.

Try a different router and see if there is a change

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma

MrFSU

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
I had problems galore when I first got my ATV (March 2012) version. The first day I got it, everything went smoothly and it connected to iTunes on my home-built Windows 7 machine. Then the next day for no apparently reason I couldn’t get it to connect at all. Trailers and Netflix worked fine, but just couldn’t connect to the server. I was able to “ping” the ATV from the server so it wasn’t a network issue as it was hard-wired through the network and I was able to see it. So after trying just about every trouble-shooting tip on the Apple and MacRumors web sites, I completely reinstalled Windows 7 on that machine. Well, that was it. It has worked FLAWLESSLY since then. Well, the only exception was AirPlay. And I found out that was a problem with my wireless router. After some Googling, I discovered that if I disabled “WMM” under advanced wireless, everything worked well. So instead of rebooting my router every 4 days, it’s gone weeks now without a reboot. And I now have three (3) ATV’s and they all work flawlessly.

So the bottom line is if you have had your Windows 7 system for some time, it might save you a lot of time and aggravation to wipe it and reinstall. I couldn’t be happier.

Hope this suggestion helps someone else who was banging their head against the wall like I was!

aced411

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
I have a very similar issue .. resetting iTunes fixes it 99% of the time, I got sick of running up and down the stairs to fix it I created a script that can be launched from Safari on an iOS device (or any browser capable device I'd imagine) to do this for me, details here:

http://monty77uk.wordpress.com/2012/06/18/vanishing-itunes-library-anyone-2-2/

M

I'm taking your concept in a different direction (not using that server side app). Seems like it will work. Will report back

aforkosh

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2012
I've been having the problem of losing the ability to control iTumes on my MacPro via the IOS Remote App. I also cannot then access iTunes items from my Apple TV.

I've found that I can get the sharing restored by turning off Home Sharing (from the iTunes Advanced menu) and then turning it back on. It's a less destructive workaround than toggling iTunes off and on but still a pain.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I've been having the problem of losing the ability to control iTumes on my MacPro via the IOS Remote App. I also cannot then access iTunes items from my Apple TV.

I've found that I can get the sharing restored by turning off Home Sharing (from the iTunes Advanced menu) and then turning it back on. It's a less destructive workaround than toggling iTunes off and on but still a pain.

Yeah, I'm seeing this too occasionally.

The music (/video) keeps playing on the ATV, but the Remote app no longer controls it. In my case, the Remote app often quits (or crashes) for me not long after I see this issue.

aced411

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
I'm taking your concept in a different direction (not using that server side app). Seems like it will work. Will report back

No luck. I made a webpage (locally served) and tried to use a php script to trigger an applescript to restart itunes. There were security issues getting the applescript to kick off. I ended up trying your tutorial. It works, but I'd rather not have to use it.

Anyway, I assigned my machine a static IP address and made a DHCP reservation for it on my extreme router. I also disabled sleep on my apple tv. I haven't had any dropouts since these changes. It's been a few days so far. Not sure which change was the fix or if it's going to act up again.

mroberts48

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2012
Same problem. MacMini as media server. I have 5 apple TVs in house, 2 ethernet, 3 wifi. Happens about once per day and I have to shutdown iTunes and reopen it.

My temporary solution: I installed Rowmote Pro on my iphone/iPad and the Mini. Doesn't fix the underlying problem, but at least when this happens, I can shutdown iTunes remotetly from my iphone/ipad and restart it. The whole process takes about 10 seconds. At least it keeps me from having to run down to the Mini every day to restart iTunes manually.

aced411

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
No luck. I made a webpage (locally served) and tried to use a php script to trigger an applescript to restart itunes. There were security issues getting the applescript to kick off. I ended up trying your tutorial. It works, but I'd rather not have to use it.

Anyway, I assigned my machine a static IP address and made a DHCP reservation for it on my extreme router. I also disabled sleep on my apple tv. I haven't had any dropouts since these changes. It's been a few days so far. Not sure which change was the fix or if it's going to act up again.

Just stopping by to let you know I still have not had any dropouts after those changed. Problem solved for me.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Just stopping by to let you know I still have not had any dropouts after those changed. Problem solved for me.

Great! I wish all issues were easily solved. For some reason, mine keeps dropping out. Mine is definitely the server, not the ATV. I know this because my ATV2 that was rock solid. I upgraded to an ATV3 and then things started to drop out. BUT my ATV1 server also died and I rebuilt the image. . . now I get drop outs on the ATV2 and ATV3. :( It sees the service running, it can connect to it, but gets stuck at "Loading Library." :( I have to go though and figure out how to fix it. . . I know I setup a static IP for the server, and set the DHCP lease to once a year. Shouldn't have a problem . . . but still do. :( I'll figure it out eventually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.