Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hob

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
...And I seem to be the only one.

So I thought I'd post here.

This entire board seems to be clogged with newbies screaming about how rubbish Apple are for switching to intel, how Dell systems will be able to run OS X... etc. etc. ad nausium.

So unless I've missed the thread where sensible people are (which frequently happens) I'm going to set up camp here. Anyone with me?!

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
hob said:

This entire board seems to be clogged with newbies screaming about how rubbish Apple are for switching to intel, how Dell systems will be able to run OS X... etc. etc. ad nausium.

So unless I've missed the thread where sensible people are (which frequently happens) I'm going to set up camp here. Anyone with me?!
after watching the webcast i'm with you 24 hours and my panic is over and i'm back on track supporting Apple ...and Jobsy too lol

intel will be ok until the next big transition

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Totally agree...people are freaking out over nothing. The new stuff will kick ass, and the old stuff will still work the way it should. Apple's not going to leave anyone stranded.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yeah, most of my concerns have been placated by the webcast and discussions here too. The Intel hardware, to me, will be just like any other next iteration of Mac hardware. If it works -- reliable, lightweight (in the notebook case), good features, and stylish -- I'm in.

And using fat binaries is ... as the Adobe CEO said at the keynote...something that falls into the "why didn't you do this five years ago?" category. In other words, r0XX3rz. :D

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I got over most of my FUD over the weekend. By the time of the Keynote I was almost surreally serene. I am satisifed that everything will work out fine. Yes, there will be a few bumps in the road, but I lived through the 680x0>PPC and OS 9>OS X "transitions", and I'll survive this one as well.

I think this can be reallly, really good for Apple.

Two things:

• I think prices of the current PPC products will come down as some of the more timid folk stop buying out of fear. A good thing for us, and necessary for Apple to maintain vital market share during the transition, or they risk losing developers for the platform in the interim.

• I don't think we'll see an additional sudden drop in price when the InteliMacs are released. Apple has always been about premium price for a premium computing experience. Why do people think that adding accelerated hardware speeds to that mix is going to make the price drop?

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
I'm looking forward to it. PB speeds will more than double in one year. Woohoo! Apple will be better for it. They are looking out for US, but everyone seems to have missed that.

One suggestion to complainers: Watch the keynote! Steve will put your fears to rest.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
I think it is great that Apple is going with the technology that is best, whatever technology it may be at the time.

There is no reason to think that Apple could not go back to PPC at some point in the future, if it proves itself as a technology. But for now, this seems to be the best direction to be going in.

As long as the user experience remains the same or improves, I'll be happy.

PixelFactory

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
Chicago
The only people getting the short end of the stick are the developers using CodeWarrior. But Apple has been telling developers to use XCode for the last five years, hard to feel sorry for them. As far a the end product, Apple will have a better variety of chipsets to use (Pentium, Pentium-M, Celeron). Plus, with the current liquid cooling they may be able to push the intel processors harder. Now it is no longer who's processor is faster but who OS is better.

pepeleuepe

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2002
Los Angeles, California
I'm excited to see what these systems can do. I don't expect anything amazing to start with, but Apple will have many many more choices processor wise and it will be interesting to see what they do with them. All in all, I'm excited that Apple will finally have a microprocessor company that innovates and pushes forward for their consumer products.

IBM makes great processors, but they seemed focused on the large-scale business/server market and not the consumer/prosumer market Apple sells to (minus the xServe I guess). I'm sure IBM made more money off of their server market than selling chips to Apple, so I don't think anyones to blame.

The next two years will bring about some exciting change for Apple.

Guitarius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2004
Louisiana
I care about it.

I'm incredibly excited to see what the new stuff can do. I doubt they would have made such a major switch if the new stuff was worse. I can't wait to get whatever computer they put out next. A new laptop will make me very happy, even though mine is barely a year old. I dunno, guess I'm just a Mac Addict. Hell, put me down for two! :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I'm with you, don't see any reason to panic. We have a Mac now and will have a Mac in the future. Steve would be failing as a CEO if he didn't make sure that the Mac included the best and most up to date hardware and software.

smokeyrabbit

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
Escape from New England
What kills me is how many people are saying "OMG the 2.0 GHz G5 is faster than the P4!! Why is Apple betraying me???" I mean, puh-lease, Do they honestly think Mr. Jobs (and the BOD, and you know, the rest of the company) is going to design a pro-line that has worse performance than a 2-year old system? Are you all thirteen? Oh, wait, probably.......

sorry. ;)

Anyway, after the switch from 680x0 to the first PPC, we all looked back and thought, man my Mac II was so sucky compared to the new machines! Then again, for each processor change, yep, the same thing. In another 2 year's time, the G5 (then a 4-year old chip) will run like your grandma through tar compared to whatever CPU Intel will be producing then.

Intel's NET profit for 2004 was $7.5 billion. They make PC CPU's. Maybe they won't shift their focus away from personal computers like IBM and Motorola did.

hob

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
smokeyrabbit said:
Are you all thirteen? Oh, wait, probably.......
I'll have you know I'm Nineteen and a quarter... ...next month :rolleyes: :D

Anyhoo, i'll never call anyone the i-word (unless I did at the top of this thread, I can't remember that far back), but it seems there are a LOT of un-intellectual people posting at the moment. Threads that go round in circles, re-posts (of which I have contributed - sorry :( ), and general freak-outterry, that doesn't really help...

I've done my bit - stopped posting random news stories without checking first... :D

Oh - and the thread title was a little harshly worded - of course I care that apple has switched to intel - but it's not a problem...

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
When I started thinking about the new Intel chips that are coming, only one concern came to mind. I hope there won't be an "Intel Inside" logo anywhere on a Mac or Powerbook. I don't see how that wouldn't look ugly. Maybe on the box it comes in. I'll allow that.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I think this is going to bring a lot more BTO options and help Apple compete with the average user much more.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
As long as 1) there are not Intel Inside stickers on the case and 2) they don't use stock Intel motherboards, I'm good. Oh, and I hope they keep the FSB speeds and the Dual Processors.

This is a great change for Apple, almost way overdue.

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
MacFan25863 said:
As long as 1) there are not Intel Inside stickers on the case and 2) they don't use stock Intel motherboards, I'm good. Oh, and I hope they keep the FSB speeds and the Dual Processors.

This is a great change for Apple, almost way overdue.

This i think is almost 100% certain...since when has apple done anything the same way as everyone else...and stickers are so last year.

i am very happy...cant wait till MWSF/WWDC '06 to hear some updates about this whole happening..Exciting time ahead for apple and its followers..hehe

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
aloofman said:
I hope there won't be an "Intel Inside" logo anywhere on a Mac or Powerbook

I don't think Apple would allow that. Look at current iBooks and PBs. There is no logo except the dominate Apple logo. Thats' an Apple trademark look. I don't see "IBM" written anywhere on my iBook, no reason to think that would change.

People really do need to calm down, as long as the transition is smooth I am fine with it. If this means I am going to get more access to high end video cards and other components cheap I am happy. People are blowing this way out of proportion.

People need to keep in mind that Apple is going to do everything in their power to prevent Mac OS X from running on some BIY, trust Apple to get it done right. You won't see $500 Joe Dell running Tiger!

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
hob said:

Sorry but this is one arrogant post. Please get over yourself.

That said. I am getting over my initial dislike of the switch. Hoping for faster cooler notebooks next year.

zuffen

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2001
Question is

Should I wait for the new Apple hardware? I was getting ready to upgrade from my G3 to a G5.

This new hardware, I wonder if this will be a special machine that runs the Mac OS or are they going to allow you to load the OS on a third party PC?

If so I'll build a winbox and hopefully be able to run the mac OS later.

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
hob said:
I'll have you know I'm Nineteen and a quarter... ...next month
yoiks ... your 'tar suggests a difrrunt story ... why chose a pic that suggets mid-20's?
hob said:
there are a LOT of un-intellectual people posting at the moment. Threads that go round in circles, re-posts (of which I have contributed - sorry :( ), and general freak-outterry, that doesn't really help...
Sure, I can't argue there. I still rely on the ole' search forum tool to avoid my unengaging-newbie jazz. Newbies aint the useful souce they used to be.

hob

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Savage Henry said:
yoiks ... your 'tar suggests a difrrunt story ... why chose a pic that suggets mid-20's?
The Avatar's from one of my fave movies - trainspotting. Would you rather I just put my age in a funky font and turned it into an avatar? :p :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.