Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sirolway

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
London
I have an iPhone 4s but my mobile operator doesn't have any coverage at work.
Rather than change network, I (for good reasons..) got a cheapish Android handset (Samsung Galaxy Ace 2) & a new SIM on a different network.

I was kind of curious to see what I'd think of Android (admittedly 2.3, not 4).
I'm a big Apple fan so I didn't expect that to change, but I was interested to see what innovations the Android phone would throw up.

After a day of use (yes, not much) the experience is probably about what I'd expect:

a. A lot of things on Android are just a bit more of a nuisance than on the iPhone - IMHO iOS really does have better usability. This even extends to the user manual, which is unnecessarily wordy

b. There are a few things on Android / Samsung that I really like, such as Swype text entry.

But ont he whole, for me it really epitomises the PC vs Mac / iOS vs Android thing - PC / Android might have more choice, but Apple just get the usability spot on

Not trying to start a flame war, or be a troll - just my observation so far...

emacna1

macrumors regular
May 31, 2012
I think your comparison is worthless. How are you going to compare Android 2.3 with iOS5? Android 4.0+ is just as usable as iOS5.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think your comparison is worthless.
I agree, if you really want an good comparison, then you need to compare the latest shipping version of android against the latest shipping version of iOS.

There's been a lot of changes to android that make any sort of criticism of nuisances out of date. upgrade your new android phone to ICS and then make the comparison.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
I have an iPhone 4s but my mobile operator doesn't have any coverage at work.
Rather than change network, I (for good reasons..) got a cheapish Android handset (Samsung Galaxy Ace 2) & a new SIM on a different network.

I was kind of curious to see what I'd think of Android (admittedly 2.3, not 4).
I'm a big Apple fan so I didn't expect that to change, but I was interested to see what innovations the Android phone would throw up.

After a day of use (yes, not much) the experience is probably about what I'd expect:

a. A lot of things on Android are just a bit more of a nuisance than on the iPhone - IMHO iOS really does have better usability. This even extends to the user manual, which is unnecessarily wordy

b. There are a few things on Android / Samsung that I really like, such as Swype text entry.

But ont he whole, for me it really epitomises the PC vs Mac / iOS vs Android thing - PC / Android might have more choice, but Apple just get the usability spot on

Not trying to start a flame war, or be a troll - just my observation so far...
This is the equivalent of having an iP4S and then buying a 3GS on iOS 4.2.1 and complaining that it's slow, screen isn't as good, blah blah. In fact, the Ace 2 is very similar in specs to the 3GS. i couldn't stand my 3GS after the 4 came out and saw how great it was. Once you have a high end phone, taking a step backwards in capabilities will jade most people's opinions.

Buy a low end phone, expect a low end experience.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Usability also pertains to the ability to upgrade your OS.

It's not the OP fault that Android doesn't employ the same ease of use for OS upgrades that iOS does. He went and purchased a phone and got an old Android version. That is a usability issue.

Telling someone that there's a version of Android that is better is beyond the point if he cannot upgrade easily to that version so his observation is his opinion but appropriate.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
I think your comparison is worthless. How are you going to compare Android 2.3 with iOS5? Android 4.0+ is just as usable as iOS5.

Funny thing; many of the new Android phones out [Low-End to Mid-Range] are not running ICS. Go to Verizon Wireless [U.S.]. They offer 2 phones running ICS, and both are Samsung. All the others are running 2.3 [GB].

Not trying to flame, or start anything...but his comparison isn't that far off. I think ICS is only on 7% of the handsets out there, new included.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Funny thing; many of the new Android phones out [Low-End to Mid-Range] are not running ICS. Go to Verizon Wireless [U.S.]. They offer 2 phones running ICS, and both are Samsung. All the others are running 2.3 [GB].

Not trying to flame, or start anything...but his comparison isn't that far off. I think ICS is only on 7% of the handsets out there, new included.

Blame the US providers.

All the major 2011 handsets, sensation, evo, galaxy s 2 variants, xperia arc and a few of their non-flagships are updated already here in Canada.

LG and moto are the exception but no one buys them here anymore lol.

As long as android is a free meal for all OEMs (minus google stuff), sadly an Apple like control for updates is just a dream.

Last edited:

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012

You can thank the carriers for that. The bloatware they 'need' to install over the OS and manufacturer UI apparently takes a long time, at least with AT&T.

Looks like that is going to change soon with Samsung though. They are becoming like Apple and will be able to dictate terms to the carriers.

But, that isn't the point. You have the option to buy a phone with ICS or GB. You buy cheap and get GB, this is called the 'buyer's fault', not the usability of the phone. You think all those ipad 1 users are happy they can't upgrade to iOS6?

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
You can thank the carriers for that. The bloatware they 'need' to install over the OS and manufacturer UI apparently takes a long time, at least with AT&T.

Looks like that is going to change soon with Samsung though. They are becoming like Apple and will be able to dictate terms to the carriers.

But, that isn't the point. You have the option to buy a phone with ICS or GB. You buy cheap and get GB, this is called the 'buyer's fault', not the usability of the phone. You think all those ipad 1 users are happy they can't upgrade to iOS6?

I wouldn't say $149.99 or $199.99 is cheap. Motorola RAZR's are going for that, and running GB. No option [other than rooting, etc. and I won't even get into that one] for ICS. I can blame the carriers, but what's the point? Most people going into a store aren't looking at what they can root, or mod. They see the phone, and if they like it, they get it.

Samsung is getting better, but they too are slow on the upgrade paths; even on their flagship, non-carrier tainted devices.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I wouldn't say $149.99 or $199.99 is cheap. Motorola RAZR's are going for that, and running GB. No option [other than rooting, etc. and I won't even get into that one] for ICS. I can blame the carriers, but what's the point? Most people going into a store aren't looking at what they can root, or mod. They see the phone, and if they like it, they get it.

Samsung is getting better, but they too are slow on the upgrade paths; even on their flagship, non-carrier tainted devices.

Actually the ICS update for the RAZR is being rolled out.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada

Keep in mind that there are differences between the iOS and Android UI. If you are used to iOS, those subtle differences will be annoying at first. You think things work one way when it doesnt. I feel the same way when I first started using an iOS device after being so used to Android. Although many things are very similar, those little differences make for a rather frustrating experience for me.

The subtle differences tend to be less used functions. For instance, I had a rather difficult time figuring how to delete objects. I was used to long tapping and then selecting from a menu on Android. In iOS, you swipe the object instead of a long tap to bring up the delete option. Another subtle difference was I could not figure out how to move the cursor to the middle of a word on iOS. I could do this on Android by tapping the character where I want to put the cursor. I was frustrated when iOS kept selecting the whole word or moving the cursor to the end. I found out later that iOS doesn't allow you to move the cursor to the middle of a word.

It's hard for me to objectively say which is better since I am so used to Android. I like the Android UI more overall, but I think that it has mostly to do with the fact that I am so used to it compared to iOS. There are a few things I like more about iOS. In iOS, the mouse-over gesture in the browser makes more sense than in Android, for instance.

----------

Usability also pertains to the ability to upgrade your OS.

It's not the OP fault that Android doesn't employ the same ease of use for OS upgrades that iOS does. He went and purchased a phone and got an old Android version. That is a usability issue.

Telling someone that there's a version of Android that is better is beyond the point if he cannot upgrade easily to that version so his observation is his opinion but appropriate.

The OP said he bought a "cheapish" Android phone. I quite understand that he doesn't want to pay a premium price, but a cheapish Android phone is not going to be as good as a high end phone.

If I already own a high end car and decided I need a second car and decided to buy a cheap one from a different manufacturer, I can complain how the cheap car isn't as good as the high end cars. However, it does not properly reflect that the manufacturer of the cheap car isn't as good as the manufacturer of the high end car. If I buy high end cars from both manufacturers then, my opinions of the cars would better reflect the quality of the manufacturers.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
You can by holding down till you see the magnifying glass then dragging to a part of the word. Not sure if you knew already or not.

Thanks, for the tip. As you can see, I'm a beginner when it comes to iOS. Again, this is another one of those subtle differences between iOS and Android. My being so used to Android, I had no idea I could longtap to bring up the magnifier for this.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Thanks, for the tip. As you can see, I'm a beginner when it comes to iOS. Again, this is another one of those subtle differences between iOS and Android. My being so used to Android, I had no idea I could longtap to bring up the magnifier for this.

No problem. :cool:

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
In the android world selling bad products on purpose is the norm.

Someday, maybe you will actually have an original thought. Don't just believe everything you are told about Apple or Android. Do your own research and formulate your own opinions, instead of following blindly.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Someday, maybe you will actually have an original thought. Don't just believe everything you are told about Apple or Android. Do your own research and formulate your own opinions, instead of following blindly.

Yes. There are actually quite a few decent Android devices.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Yes. There are actually quite a few decent Android devices.

Dozens of android devices are released a year. If only some are decent, what does that make the rest?

As I said, junk android devices are made to be junk on purpose. Android sells more bad products every year than Apple does.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Dozens of android devices are released a year. If only some are decent, what does that make the rest?

As I said, junk android devices are made to be junk on purpose. Android sells more bad products every year than Apple does.

Android doesn't sell any products at all. Various phone manufacturers do. But you are right. There are a whole slew of ignorant users out there that can't understand that a budget device is going to be a budget device. In that way Apple has Android beat. One cannot go out and pick up an iOS device off contract for free (after $50 minutes/data credit or some such deal). The best that can be done is a $.99 3GS on two year contract. But in all fairness, a free off contract Android phone isn't comparable to any iPhone currently on the market.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I got Android as well. Originally, it was One X, but I returned it because I wanted my full upgrade back. Now, I have an unlocked Google Nexus. I basically put in my 4S sim card and BAM, that was it. 2 year contract still intact. I am going to use this phone until the new iPhone comes out. I am selling my iPhone 4S early. :( Thankfully I have my iPad that I can beta test iOS 6 on. 3-4 months with Android. May Gah (God) be with me. Lol.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

ICS is out for the Razr and Razr Maxx. Droid 4 should be out but I haven't been following it too closely. Rezound was just delayed but should be out in a day or so. Bionic will be a couple weeks or so.

They got the update for a lot of there tablets too.

That's just Verizon. There's a few more less popular phones with ICS or ICS coming to them soon.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL

I777 just got ICS a couple days ago, but yeh that was odd as it sold a ***** ton and if anything was the most popular Android device yet and should have gotten ICS before others, but AT&T dragged their feet on it. Other versions of the phone had ICS months ago as well as other phones, Canada, Europe etc.... the U.S. carriers screw around for some reason. But their getting better, Samsung and AT&T said their working together to get updates released sooner, so should be much better in the next year or so.

No biggie to me as I rooted and flashed a custom ICS rom, phone kicks ass on ICS, I'm running ShoStock 2. Personally I prefer the custom Roms vs factory as there are cool bits here and there and stuff adjusted with the custom Rom's that make them better and cleaner imo.

I know Samsung has stated their working with carriers to get timelier (sp? lol) updates released so hope that holds true. As I know there are a lot of people who don't want to root and flash, just like there are iPhone owners who won't jailbreak. If only they knew what being rooted allows you to do w/o even flashing a rom ;) lol

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Anyone that says something like this is just a closed minded person. Its more likely you have more devices in your home made by manufacturers of these "junk" Android phones then Apple products. I have 3 TV's from Samsung, 3 cable boxes, 1 tablet, 2 smartphones and 1 wireless router/modem made by Motorola, and 2 Sony play stations. All of which I don't consider making "junk" smart phones. Btw I have 2 apple products, iPhone 4s and an iPad 2.....only problem I have had is a PlayStation fail and the HDMI adapter from Apple not work worth a crap as I expected per its terrible reviews on the online Apple store.

Android is open source software. Android isn't selling anything. You could make a smartphone that ran Android if you wanted too, its up too you (manufacture) if the phone is junk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.