Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
Is a 1st generation iPad a good buy these days? I'm talking base model, with wi-fi only, so that it could possibly replace the only computer my father has today: an ancient iBook G4 which is still running pretty strong despite a battery on its last legs and the annoyance of using outdated software (plugins want to be updated, some websites won't play videos, etc.).

My only concern is with the "new" iPad out, is the first iPad still any good? Would it be able to efficiently surf the web, and view pictures and videos stored on the device? I'm trying to find a Mac alternative that would be cheaper than a new or refurbished MacMini.

-TYLER

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
It would definitely still be efficient for all of those. Depending what your price range is though you can get a refurb iPad 2 from apple for $319, comes in perfect condition.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
I got my wife the iPad 3 and got her handmedown iPad 1. It works fine for most games, my VNC/RDP apps, web browsing, etc. Can't complain!

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
It depends really on what your dad does with his current computer, whether an iPad would really be a good fit for him at all. But if you do get him an iPad, I would get him an iPad 2 at least, maybe even a refurb, or a lightly-used one off eBay.

The original iPad will surf the web fine. Storing pictures on any iPad though, usually requires either a desktop computer to sync with the iPad (your dad's old iBook won't cut it) or use of a cloud service like dropbox, flickr, or 500px where the pics can be uploaded and shared with the device.

App support is good for the original iPad now, and everything should work fine, but when iOS6 gets released, your dad will find that more and more apps will no longer support his iPad once they start requiring iOS 6 to run. The original iPad will not upgrade to iOS6, so he'll be stuck at a dead end there... which is why it's probably not a good idea to go with the original at this point.

On the other hand, you could get all the apps he needs or wants now, and just understand that upgrades and new apps for the original iPad will grow increasingly unlikely as time passes.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
It will do a job but I found with iOS 5, there was a certain UI lag creeping in which I wasn't prepared to put up with. Just buy a refurb 2 if your budget can stretch to it. That way you can also take advantage of FaceTime and the like

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
My vote as well for a $319 refurbed iPad 2 from APPLE. I don't trust Ebay or Craiglist iPad's. At least with Apple's refurbed iPad's you get a new outer shell and a new battery. They also perform extensive tests on the device before they sell it. If there are any problems with it they fix it.

Apple's refurbed iPad's come with a 1 year warranty and free shipping. :)

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I had a 1st gen iPad... sold it, got a refurbed iPad 2 and couldn't be happier. I love the extra speed and no typing lag!

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
I just purchased a refurb iPad2 for $319 direct from Apple - it came yesterday. Looks brand new and includes a new battery and new shell and 1 year warranty. It is far more powerful than the iPad1 so I would consider it the best value going. I wouldn't touch an iPad1

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Coming from what he's got, he'd love a first gen iPad. I just passed mine down to my husband who uses a G4 iBook. He now wants to get rid of the iBook. But, it isn't a replacement for a computer, depending on what he does.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Current refurb numbers:
32GB gen. 1 - $349
32GB gen. 2 - $399
For fifty bucks get the gen. 2 - it's faster and will run iOS 6, which the gen. 1 won't.
I have a gen. 1 and a gen. 3. The gen. 1 is still perfectly capable, but the 3 is faster.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Gen 1 16gb refurbs don't come into stock very often direct from Apple, and only last briefly, but they're $279 when available. If cost is an issue, these are hard to beat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.