Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphoto_icon.jpg

Apple today released Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 3.14, bringing RAW image support to Aperture and iPhoto for several new cameras.
This update adds RAW image compatibility for the following cameras to Aperture 3 and iPhoto '11:

- Canon EOS Rebel T4i / 650D / Kiss X6i
- Sony Alpha SLT-A37
Full details on RAW support are included in an Apple support document.

Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 3.14 checks in at 7.9 MB and requires Mac OS X 10.6.8 or OS X 10.7 or later.

Article Link: Apple Releases Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 3.14

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
There must be a better way to deliver these compatibility updates.

Why don't they implement dynamic updating capabilities (i.e. maintaining a constant connection to the update server for these updates, so the user doesn't have to concern themselves with manually installing, and they install automatically when iPhoto/Aperture is re-launched)?

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Can't get enough of these sexy RAW updates, especially as I have never owned a digital camera ...

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…

Why don't they implement dynamic updating capabilities (i.e. maintaining a constant connection to the update server for these updates, so the user doesn't have to concern themselves with manually installing, and they install automatically when iPhoto/Aperture is re-launched)?

Add upon that what they do for printer drivers, when one is connected, detect what kind it is & download the appropriate software. This way, you don't get the software for boatloads of other cameras.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
If only I understood what this stuff means, I'd appreciate it more.

RAW means everything from the Image Sensor is saved, and it's completely lossless, Jpg is for lulzy tards, Raw is the future.

----------

Exactly!

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
There's also an iTunes Producer 2.7.0 update weighting 69.9 MB

iTunes Producer 2.7 includes several new features:

Import templates are now included.
Music metadata is now supporting additional languages.
General bug fixes and improvements.
More detailed information on this update can be found in the iTunes Producer guide available at itunesconnect.apple.com.

nuladog

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012

Coming in Mountain Lion

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
RAW means everything from the Image Sensor is saved, and it's completely lossless, Jpg is for lulzy tards, Raw is the future.
If only the world weren't going in the opposite direction.

Apple still doesn't care about Sigma users. Shock.

ebm

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2011
It is no good idea to install those updates for the dedicated camera only as
a) most pro users do not plugin the camera directly but use card readers
b) pro users often work in the fields without internet access and it can be nerv wracking to be in the pusta without beeing able to install anything.
c) full automatic updates sometimes may fail.

BTW. wo said raw is the future did not get the point of RAW vs JPEG. Just in film times nobody showed his friends the negative films but the photos on paper.

till213

Suspended
Jul 1, 2011
Add upon that what they do for printer drivers, when one is connected, detect what kind it is & download the appropriate software. This way, you don't get the software for boatloads of other cameras.

You're totally holding it wrong(tm): it is not just when you connect a physical camera that you want to be able to open and display the Foo format. It is also when you get that file by any means (download, USB stick, ...) and want to display by any application.

So assuming that you get a RAW image format, with some magic byte file header (your OS doesn't know anything about it yet) and some random extension *.foo.

Now your OS could ask you each time it discovers such a file format it doesn't know nothing about it - and in fact, OS X does just that, too! - e.g. by looking up *.foo in some global database and offering you the appropriate app in the App Store. And/or recognise in some magic way that *.foo is in fact an image format and that you're better off with the appropriate image IO plugin (such that any Cocoa application is able to open that file!) instead.

Or you just get a bunch of common RAW format plugins once in a while and be done with that. Don't get bothered each time you try to open a *.bmp ("I don't know about this image format yet, but there is an image plugin available. Do you want me to download it?"), *.tiff ("I don't know about this image format yet, ..."), *.jpg ("I don't know..."), *.pef ("... do you really want me to...") or *.dmg ("... Really, I could just download the appropriate plugin just now...!").

Or do you really care how many USB device drivers are lingering on your OS X installation which are likely to never be used by any hardware, because you simply don't own such a device, and never will? Ever wondered why OS installations are counted in Gigabytes (YES, that's 1024 MEGAbytes!) these days? I remember times when an OS was delivered on 2-3 floppy disks (those had capacities counted in KILObytes...). Oh and yes, almost every device required you to install the device driver yourself by hand...

Well, yes, one could care about waste of disk space - but do we really care? :rolleyes: We just became to lazy and expect an OS to immediatelly recognise and support the connected device - or open the given camera file "out of the box".

Cheers

----------

Can't get enough of these sexy RAW updates, especially as I have never owned a digital camera ...

Ever wondered how many other device drivers are burried in your OS X installation, for devices that you'll never be a proud owner of? :D

Besides, image plugins don't require you to actually own a camera of that format! There are other situations where one might want to display/edit such a RAW image - well, maybe not you personally anyway...

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Ever wondered how many other device drivers are burried in your OS X installation, for devices that you'll never be a proud owner of? :D

That's totally cool with me as - in comparison to these RAW things - I don't get an "there are software updates" notification every week or so for them. There are worse things, for sure, but if Apple could manage to solve this differently than pushing me an update only for RAW compatibility that often, it would be nice. But to be honest, I am only disappointed about the RAW updates because every time I see that there is a software update, I get exited that this maybe is a new OS X point version, iTunes update etc. These RAW updates which are totally useless for me always let me down... :)

Last edited:

till213

Suspended
Jul 1, 2011
That's totally cool with me as - in comparison to these RAW things - I don't get an "there are software updates" notification every week or so for them.

C'mon, it's not that often (usually - but I agree, recently there were quite some RAW updates) :p

And at least printer drivers also do get an update once in a while - and I hear Thunderbolt drivers, too :D

UPDATE: I am not sure, but IIRC I once got Epson driver updates (on 10.6.x) - even though I don't own an Epson, and for sure never connected one. For Thunderbolt off course you only get updates if you have that hardware, sure...

There are worse things, for sure, but if Apple could manage to solve this differently than pushing me an update only for RAW compatibility that often, it would be nice.

OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion is supposed to handle updates "silently behind the curtain" - as has been mentioned already.

But to be honest, I am only disappointed about the RAW updates because every time I see that there is a software update, I get exited that this maybe is a new OS X point version, iTunes update etc. These RAW updates which are totally useless for me always let me down... :)

Me too, I get excited about RAW updates - only to realise moments later that my Pentax K-5 RAW (*.pef) format is already supported since the camera came out last year or so - so nothing to gain for me either ;)

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida

Given you only need the one for your own camera in most cases I don't see why you would want that? Best to add to ignore list once you have the one for your own camera.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
It is no good idea to install those updates for the dedicated camera only as
a) most pro users do not plugin the camera directly but use card readers
RAW updates are not about camera syncing. They are basically file format issues, so it doesn't matter how the photo file gets to your computer, it still needs compatibility.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Sorry for the revival, but how does one get that update without having iPhoto 9 or Aperture installed? I use Lightroom, and it can work with them okay, but sometimes I use Finder to browse some .cr2 files and cannot get QuickLook to look at them, because I have no drivers for the 650D installed, the ones, that come with that 3.14 update, which I cannot install because I do not have iPhoto or Aperture. Is there a workaround, or should I download a torrented copy of one of those two applications just so I can install a driver?

Apple, what the frell?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.