Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Just got my new (to me) iPhone 4 today. Looking to learn how to add custom ringtones to it as I need something different for a few different contacts.

Thanks ahead of time!

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Just got my new (to me) iPhone 4 today. Looking to learn how to add custom ringtones to it as I need something different for a few different contacts.

Thanks ahead of time!

Easiest way is to buy them in the iTunes store on your phone.

The cheapest way is to make or get free ones. Use google for instructions how to do this.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
If you are on a Mac, use GarageBand, this is the best way to do it, and it'll be free.

After you finish creating your song (or chopping down a song you already have) go to the Share menu and then choose Send Ringtone to iTunes. From there, drag it from your iTunes library onto the phone.

Hope this helps :)

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
How to make a ringtone without Garage Band.

1. Import your desired track into iTunes.

2. CTRL/Right click the track and select "Create AAC version".

3. CTRL/Right click the newly created AAC version and select "Show in Finder" (Mac), or whatever the likely equivalent is on a PC…show file?

4. Go to the folder the AAC file is located in. It will be called songname.m4A. Rename the extension to m4r and move it to your desktop.

5. Go back to iTunes and delete the AAC version from your library.

6. Go to your desktop and double click the m4r file. It will be imported into iTunes as a ringtone.

7. Done.

Ice-Cube

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow

3. CTRL/Right click the newly created AAC version and select "Show in Finder" (Mac), or whatever the likely equivalent is on a PC…show file?

4. Go to the folder the AAC file is located in. It will be called songname.m4A. Rename the extension to m4r and move it to your desktop.

6. Go to your desktop and double click the m4r file. It will be imported into iTunes as a ringtone.

7. Done.

Before step 2, you can also right click on the track, and determine the length you want to crop under Get info>options>start/stop time.

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Thanks, I'll give it a try. I have a Mac btw.

It's just that there were some ringtones from my Droid that I got from Zedge that I wanna use on my iPhone.

TullyMars

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2011
Before step 2, you can also right click on the track, and determine the length you want to crop under Get info>options>start/stop time.

Ice-Cube.....thanks for the post. Just set up a friend with the iphone and this got them up and running in no time.....much obliged!

:cool:

WilliamBos

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2009
Innisfil, ON

7. Done.

Thanks a ton. Can I duplicate the MP3 before conversion, do not want to lose it.

kurtvile-fangrl

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2013
Seattle, Washington

7. Done.

I dragged the m4r file into iTunes, but now I can't find it in my library. I can only locate it on my desktop. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

AdeleB

macrumors newbie
Add custom ringtones to iPhone without iTunes?

If you are on a Mac, use GarageBand, this is the best way to do it, and it'll be free.

After you finish creating your song (or chopping down a song you already have) go to the Share menu and then choose Send Ringtone to iTunes. From there, drag it from your iTunes library onto the phone.

Hope this helps :)

I know how to add music from PC to iPhone without iTunes but I want to select a section of a piece of music as a ringtone for my iPhone. So just need an app that allows for customization of ringtone and transferring this music to iPhone without iTunes. As GarageBand is mentioned here, would you please give more details by using it to make ringtones?
Thanks for any help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.