Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
No, I've got the 13in. Text looks crisp to me.

Hey did u buy it from retail shops? Or did u order it? I'm ordering a 13" i5 with 8gb of ram and I'm toatally freaking out now. I really want the Samsung panel and SSD. Really hoping for it!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Hey did u buy it from retail shops? Or did u order it? I'm ordering a 13" i5 with 8gb of ram and I'm toatally freaking out now. I really want the Samsung panel and SSD. Really hoping for it!

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Both panels are good, and both SSDs are good, too. The Toshiba reports lower numbers on benchmarks, but it's because the SandForce controller handles compressed data differently from the Samsung controller used in the Samsung drive. In real world usage they are very similar, and both are significantly faster than the drives used in last year's models.

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Both panels are good, and both SSDs are good, too. The Toshiba reports lower numbers on benchmarks, but it's because the SandForce controller handles compressed data differently from the Samsung controller used in the Samsung drive. In real world usage they are very similar, and both are significantly faster than the drives used in last year's models.

From what I have read it seems like the LG is really bad with the washed out colours and all. I'm paying a premium price and if I don't get a Samsung LCD, I'll be crushed. :( To think about it I don't mind either SSDs but preferably a Samsung one too. :p

thehumorpolice

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012

Exactly! You people should quit stressing about this. If you get one that doesn't meet your expectations you can simply return it, no questions asked. I have the LG screen and it is perfectly fine. It's a little different from my 2010 Samsung panel but it is quite good.

norneDK

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2011
Guess what, I'm writing this from my MBA 11" (8/128) that arrived today and it says: LTH11XXXX, so from what I can read here and from Google, it's a Samsung display.

powsucks

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
My 2012 13" MBA has the LG panel. I don't have a Samsung to compare it to, but I really like the display. I think people need a little perspective on life if they worry so much about such a small issue. Don't worry and enjoy the fact you're fortunate enough to have such a nice, new laptop :)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
My 2012 13" MBA has the LG panel. I don't have a Samsung to compare it to, but I really like the display. I think people need a little perspective on life if they worry so much about such a small issue. Don't worry and enjoy the fact you're fortunate enough to have such a nice, new laptop :)

but these are our first world country problems!

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009
for those who got a lg display and are returning it, how likely is it that the replacement with have a samsung display?

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
Exactly! You people should quit stressing about this. If you get one that doesn't meet your expectations you can simply return it, no questions asked. I have the LG screen and it is perfectly fine. It's a little different from my 2010 Samsung panel but it is quite good.

But I'm purchasing it online. It would be difficult to return it...

lockerc18

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2012

My new 13 inch Air got here yesterday (i7 2.0 / 8 / 256) and it has the LG screen. I also have an iPad3 right next to it, so I have an easy comparison with a screen that looks absolutely incredible. The Air's screen is washed out and the text isn't crisp at all. I'm not saying that the screen had to be as good as a Retina, but I did expect it to be on a par with other systems I use. Since it isn't, I'm pretty disappointed with it. I applied the config change pointed to here earlier, and I've played with the brightness setting, which both helped a lot. Not having a Samsung screen to compare it to, I don't know how close this one is with these changes. Sometimes the system seems to "forget" about the fix and I have to reapply it. I'm sure that's some kind of operator error... But my point is that the LG screen is subpar, IMHO, and Apple should stop using it.

That said, I absolutely love the Air. It's my first Mac, and it is a real barn burner when it comes to performance. I love the ergonomics and overall design. But this display is a real disappointment. I'll live with it, though, because I like the rest of the system so much, and because the screen is not all THAT BAD, with the config fix. I know that after a while, I will stop noticing the washing out of the screen, and will be totally happy with the system. I'm pretty much at that point now.

And I have to say, I've been a PC user since the very earliest days of DOS, and I have come to like Windows 7. But Windows 8 looks brain dead to me, and I couldn't imagine moving to that. Hence this change to Mac. And I REALLY like it.

Last edited:

pogiboi

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
Well, i thought i could live with the LG panel, but I was setting up a new Air for a friend and the difference is just night and day. I tried to capture it with a camera but in person, the difference is much larger. Everything on the LG screen looks so washed out.

2aqmw1.jpg

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009
that picture shows a difference. my question is what is the % lg vs samsung. people who got a lg need to know the odds of how likely a return unit would be a samsung.

yoyoma1992

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2012
Well, i thought i could live with the LG panel, but I was setting up a new Air for a friend and the difference is just night and day. I tried to capture it with a camera but in person, the difference is much larger. Everything on the LG screen looks so washed out.

umm...which one is the LG one lol?

trashmouth12

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
My screen looks pretty much like the one on the left. It is an LG panel. There is some uneven light distribution near the bezel at the bottom. Is that what you guys mean by washed out?

What are my options? (Phone ordered in Canada) I don't care if the next screen is LG or Samsung so long as the back lighting is consistent.

Time Less

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Planet Earth
How about that, my BTO 13 inch (8gb ram) has a samsung display. I could sorta tell the second the desktop launched the first time.:)

What size SSD did you get? From what I've been reading, you're more likely to get a Samsung panel with a 256 or higher SSD.

This panel lottery sucks donkey balls. I have the 13" /128/8 with LG and Toshiba. My screen looks washed out just like in the picture above. I may return it and try again seeing how the Samsung display has better saturation.

Last edited:

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012

Yeah I can I see the one on the left I think is the LG due to the text and colour not being as crisp as the 11" on the right. Could u try the colour profile posted by of the members and could u please post the results again, that is if this isn't this a hassle for u.

Thanks, Aaron

nrfujnbfvj

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2011
Newcastle upon Tyne
What size SSD did you get? From what I've been reading, you're more likely to get a Samsung panel with a 256 or higher SSD.

This panel lottery sucks donkey balls. I have the 13" /128/8 with LG and Toshiba. My screen looks washed out just like in the picture above. I may return it and try again seeing how the Samsung display has better saturation.

I got the 13"/128/8gb with a Samsung screen, but a toshiba SSD.

Seems like its a mix, maybe the base 13's got an LG screen and BTO's got a Samsung.

Last edited:

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
I got the 13"/128/8gb with a Samsung screen, but a toshiba SSD.

Seems like its a mix, maybe the base 13's got a LG screen and BTO's got a Samsung.

I seriously wish and hope so... Gonna be my first Mac. I'm ordering the same as u 13 with 8gb of ram and 128 ssd. Really really want the Samsung display. SSD doesnt seem to bother me as much now as i thought it out. Its all about the read speed and they are more or less par. If it's a LG screen, I'll be heart broken.

AppleSticker54

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2012
MN
Fingers and Toes Crossed

After plowing through all the pages, I am really hoping that my very Mac (arriving tomorrow, says the Fed Ex tracking site) comes with both display and SSD as Samsungs. It seems like I might have a chance with my BTO.

I ordered 13" i7/8gb/256 - I am praying that the 256 upgrade will reward me - oh please, oh please!!

pogiboi

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
Yea i have a few profiles loaded, i'll post some pictures in a bit. I did find one that brought it closer, but made it much warmer than the samsung. The LG is on the left, Samsung on the right.

Also, LG was a 8GB/128GB BTO. Samsung was a base store bought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.